Rain bow during Rei/Shinji scene

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Rain bow during Rei/Shinji scene

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:02 am

Got this topic from Facebook group and just sharing here. They asked Why there's a rainbow in this scene.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4m6i91y3PypZEF1VTlmSE0ydWM

I re-watched the scene and it was weird because it seems like they went out of their way to set up the rainbow shot . Like they show the sunlight go into the water/beaker thing for the rainbow. I felt like that was a lot of effort for something so random so I started thinking about it .That scene is reminiscent of the final scene between Asuka and Shinji. The way Shinji is over Rei is similar to how Shinji is over Asuka. And remember how Asuka says disgusting at the very end. Well in later episodes I believe when Rei thinks back to this moment between her and Shinji she say's that she was "Disgusted" at the time.(If I'm worng let me know talking from memeory)

Now rainbows are a symbols of destruction in Christianity because the rainbow was God's way of saying "I'll never flood the world again". Well maybe the rainbow is meant to connect to the final scene where there is a literal kind of destruction of mankind. The rainbow was probably a very subtle way of either foreshadowing and/or a subtle way of being stylistically repetitive(aesthetic=repetition in this case) with the two scenes. Evangelion loves to be repetitive with it's imagery and story. I know I may be over thinking it but I thought it was worth/interesting enough of a topic for sharing.

Sorry trying to add image but cant get it to work, link is there though.
Last edited by zlink64 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Re: Rain bow during Rei/Shinji scene

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:38 pm

As an aithiest/agnostic, I like how Evagellion's moment of triumph can be interpreted as a rejection of heaven.

I'm not saying being religious is bad, but it's nice to have a different take on things. The whole "life is worth living even without god" isn't a message you see in a lot of shows.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:24 pm

My interpretation of the rainbow in that scene was that it draws attention to the beaker of water in the room. The beaker is a visual parallel to Rei's aquarium, and is an early suggestion of her otherworldly origin as a clone hybrid thing. NTE doubles down on this association by giving Rei a separate aquarium scene at the restoration facility.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

anonymaus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby anonymaus » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Underwear 'rained' onto them, it was just a gag.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”