Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:44 am

Some interesting reads in this article:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/dc-wonde ... 1%E2%80%AC

Long & short is what I've always said, Warner Brothers was so thirsty to play the Marvel game that they dived into this Cinematic Universe without a plan, placed too much control in the hands of one filmmaker, got lost along the way & have spent the last three years & two mega-budget shitfests (Batman V. Superman & this November's Justice League) trying to fix a sinking ship. The ship is sunk. The Zack Snyderverse (so to speak) is ending this November. BUT, Warner Brothers have their lifeboats already in place - I.E. Wonder Woman which aside from a Bruce Wayne reference was essentially a standalone film - and are going to be focusing on those instead of one mega franchise. The films from here on out will exist in the same universe but little to no attention is going to be given towards heavy interconnectivity - I.E. next year's Aquaman is not going to set up anything for a Justice League II - & Warner Brothers is even setting up a side brand of DC where completely standalone films completely unrelated to whatever else they're doing in tone and look can exist - this is where Todd Phillips Baby Joker comes in.

So now with more comic book people involved it looks like they're gonna wisely abandon trying to replicate Marvel (but dark & gritty...and awful) and will instead focus on Wonder Woman being her own thing over here, Aquaman his own thing over there, Matt Reeves Batman series it's own thing, etc. Maybe in a few years time they'll try another TEAM UP movie with more established but for now, Justice League is just that disaster they have to barrel through, get past & then focus on bright new roads ahead.

Also I would bet soon after Justice League drops Ben Affleck & Henry Cavill will be replaced. Affleck because he wants out & Cavill because after three films of Sociopath Superman it would just be wiser to recast the role and start fresh.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:58 pm

Basically a biased news organization took a few Johns and Berg quotes and framed them an an exclusive "new profile piece" when it's really an editorial. Purely to paint a negative outlook and reassert their cognitive bias.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:05 pm

It's a shame if they drop Cavil. If he had better material he'd be a grand Superman.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:11 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Basically a biased news organization took a few Johns and Berg quotes and framed them an an exclusive "new profile piece" when it's really an editorial. Purely to paint a negative outlook and reassert their cognitive bias.

You're counter-argument would be more convincing with cited sources that explain how the Snyderverse is fine and how DC is going to carry it on for another 8 years. "Fake News because humans have human biases" isn't really a solid form of discourse, nor is it a strong debate towards an alternate conclusion.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:10 pm

I really hope they’re going to focus on standalone films. Continuity stifles creativity and the answer to “how was Spider-Man in Alaska and teamed up with Wolverine in Newark NJ in Amazing Spider Man and Spectacular Spider Man in May 1978?” Is “shut up”
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:36 pm

I saw Spider-Man: Homecoming last night.

First of all: all the nerd bitching about Zendaya MJ and the diverse cast and hurrr Iron Man 4: Spider-Man can fuck right off. MJ is barely in the movie unfortunately but everyone else is great. It's a believable cast of teenage looking people in a believable setting.

The movie is outrageous and hilarious and the mythology/future villain/sinister six set up was fantastic and subtle. I really hope Scorpion is in the next one.

They embraced the wild funny side of Spider-Man and made a whole movie about power and responsibility without using the phrase or killing Uncle Ben.

Keaton is one of the best comic book villains ever brought to the screen, he was phenomenal and the character design was excellent.

This movie is an example of mature storytelling. Mature does not equal dark, moody, and depressing. That side of Spidey's character has been overemphasized so much in the past that, compared to this movie, the others come off as punishing him for trying to be upbeat and heroic.

Oh, and Tom Holland is the best Spidey and Parker yet, and the first to do both sides well. The addition of the suit AI was a brilliant piece of storytelling since it gives him an excuse to have thought bubbles and make jokes without sounding like a sadistic asshole or a crazy mumbling hobo.

The only thing I'd like to have seen further developed is the class struggle aspect. Tooms absolutely has a point even if what he's doing is wrong and I wish the movie had addressed that at some point.

Also this movie has the best post-credits scene of any movie ever.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:57 am

Final Justice League trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-DM9uBtVI

Warning It looks like it's going to spoil then doesn't.

CGI & backgrounds which even I complained about in the last trailer look much better, more clear and less muddy here.

God bless them for using the
SPOILER: Show
Mos score.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:57 pm

I really hope they don't repeat Diana using that one leg sweepy thing in every single movie.

Edit: This actually looks good.
the prophecy is true

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:31 am

The trailer is nothing but money shots all strung together. I have no idea what the story is, and we usually get a glimps into it this late on the game.

To be fair, 3 hours of nothing but money shots would be an improvement on MoS, BvS, and Squad Goals. Wonder Woman still might be better, though.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:18 pm

At this point? The best we can hope for is a not-terrible, disposable, Michael Bay-lite production, and then once we get over the hump we can only hope it's smooth sailing from there.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:07 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Squad Goals

holy shit

The trailer looks fun. Then again, the trailer for Suicide Squad looked fun, too, and the movie was nonsensical and trite, so.

Seriously. I wish they'd put whoever makes the trailers for this movies in charge of making the actual movies. I bet the trailer versions of Suicide Squad and MoS would be great.
the prophecy is true

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:24 am

I do like that the justice league trailer is not giving a way the story at all its such a welcome change since other trailers like Thor Ragnarok are telling you the whole movie in one trailer which in my view spoils it.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:07 am

It's adorable to even joke that there is a story to give away.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:00 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I have no idea what the story is

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I do like that the justice league trailer is not giving a way the story at all

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:It's adorable to even joke that there is a story to give away.

It's just gonna be a simple alien invasion type story with Apoklips invading, the league forming & repelling them. Same as JL Origin from the new 52 or it's Justice League War animated adaption just with Steppenwolf instead of Darkseid and Superman's revival being thrown in.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:54 pm

^ That's not a story. That's a plot.

PLOT: A sequence of events that make up a narrative. Merely what happens.
STORY: The how & why a narrative occurs &/or matters. What the characters are experiencing & how they change or regress through the course of the narrative. The heart & soul of the narrative being told & what it all ultimately means.

I.E. The plot of Evangelion is a kid gets drafted to stop aliens from ending the world by driving a giant robot. Things don't turn out so well.
The story of Evangelion is Shinji Ikari going through a series of ups & downs regarding his emotional journey & ends the series at a realization that would have been impossible for him to experience at the start of the series.

Justice League is gonna have A LOT of plot.
I promise it will have zero story.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:25 pm

My usual zen-like calm will be severely disrupted if they turn Darkseid into a big growling idiot that punches people like in that Justice League: War cartoon.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:59 am

New Mutants trailer is here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu9e410C__I

They weren't kidding about it being a straight up horror movie.
No sign of the Demon Bear.
Hope Magik gets her sword.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Never heard of this comic before but I am intrigued.
I truly hope the movie follows through & is actually 100% a horror film that just happens to take place in the X-Men universe.
Been burned too many times by Marvel's genre baiting: "Our new Spider-Man movie is actually a John Hughes films!" (it wasn't) AND "Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a genuine 70s conspiracy thriller!" (nope) OR "Ant-Man is a real goddamn heist movie!" (fuck it is).
Fingers crossed they stay true to this initial trailer. Will be genuinely bummed if the next trailer in early 2018 shows more traditional superhero hijinks. (These are the guys who made a mint with Deadpool & Logan so I think they're getting the idea of branching out stylistically)

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:04 pm

New Black Panther trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDjIWPwcPU
Looks great, glad it still appears to be serious toned.
Michael B Jordan sounds like he is going to be just another generic villain, only flaw of note so far.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:53 pm

New Punisher trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMW_dPtm7Bo

Thor Ragnarok is getting glowing reviews...

To quote some...
"Self parody"
"Ragnarok is basically a Joke Delivery System"
"Taika Waititi offers Marvel majesty via Monty Python"
"but it doesn't have any dramatic urgency whatsoever"
"You never have to wait more than five minutes for a joke or well-placed wisecrack. Anytime there's a danger of someone giving a cliched, worthy speech about power and responsibility there's a one liner delivered like a slap to the back of the head"
"Easily the funniest Marvel film to date, a huge achievement this far down the line and something that will have audiences crying tears of laughter"
"While it's not saying much, "Thor: Ragnarok" is easily the best of the three Thor movies - or maybe I just think so because its screenwriters and I finally seem to agree on one thing: The Thor movies are preposterous"

As someone who considers Thor his 1st or 2nd favorite comic character I can't deny that I fucking hate Marvel so much right now for this shit.
I am fine with the MCU being Comedic, Guardians1 is my 3rd favorite Mcu film but...
SPOILER: Show
Not in a bloody story about the apocalypse of the fucking gods!

Return to “Film and Video”