Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Snow
Lilith

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:08 am

Blade Runner 2049. Recommended.
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:24 pm

War for the Planet of the Apes

It's sobering and a tough watch, what's like to be fighting for survival from the viewpoint of the primates, as the remaining humans seek not only to eradicate them but also each other.

Basically, the message is that arrogance and violence are the undoing of the human race. There in that ground, finis.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:15 pm

View Original PostSnow wrote:Blade Runner 2049. Recommended.

Looking forward to it. The wife and I are trying to find time to go out and see it.

We watched the original Blade Runner the other night in preparation.

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:29 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Looking forward to it. The wife and I are trying to find time to go out and see it.

We watched the original Blade Runner the other night in preparation.

Glad to hear so. Enjoy.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:27 am

I've seen Blade Runner 2049 multiple times. It's rare that I see a film in theaters more than once, but this film is just that damn good. The fact that they managed to make a sequel this satisfying to a classic piece of cinema is a thunderous achievement. The only aspect about it that I wasn't bowled over by was the music. I'm getting rather annoyed at Zimmer's increasing use of amelodic scores. You can't really hum more than 1 or 2 pieces of original music in this 3 hour film, tops. Whereas, most of Vangelis' tracks from the original had a clear and identifiable melody.

It's a goddamn shame that a film as good as this is flopping financially thus far in the US and a reminder that in 2017 the world is fucking shit and we can't have nice things. Hopefully, when it opens in China and Japan the numbers will pick up.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:20 am

Now, if i remember correctly, the original didn't do well on release either. Only afterwards did it become popular.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:47 am

Brawl in Cellblock 99- 9/10
Real great prison film, Vince Vaughn is in rare form here and the violence is fucking brutal.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:56 am

Fiend Without A Face

A 1950s monster movie that subverts your expectations.The mad scientist who creates the monsters is actually the nicest person in the movie. It's not sensationalistic like other Sci-Fi movies of the era, nuclear power itself is portrayed as an entirely neutral thing.

The majority of the movie isn't even about the monster. It's about the paranoia dividing the townsfolk and the US military. How their paranoia over nuclear power gets in the way of the investigation when the monster starts offing people.

I like how the monsters don't show up until the very end and then you get a suprisingly gory final showdown with the characters and the monsters.

It's definitely a b movie but it's the upper echelon of the B movies. It shows quite a bit of restraint.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:50 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Fiend Without A Face

Agreed that was damn solid.
Have you seen Night/Curse of the Demon (1957)?
That was also among the stronger 1950s horror film, good sense of supernatural tension and a solid mythos/mechanism for the monster.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:57 am

Never seen it. I'll look it up.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:06 am

Damn this was back in November of 2015...
View Original Postmovieartman wrote:FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 (1981)

PROS
SPOILER: Show
- Entire cast, even the practical joker are likeable and fun. (I personally dislike when they make the majority of these films characters assholes like part 7 did)
- The build up on the relationship with Mark (crippled and in a wheelchair) and Vicki is adorable.
- Ginny is a fantastic final girl, not my favorite female of the series, but probably the series best in terms of depth, strength and realism. She is studying child psychology in school and effectively puts it to use against Jason in the finale, her chase scenes are very well done, she never as far as I noticed did anything dumb or illogical at all, she goes and checks every car left around the camp while evading Jason, she retraces her steps.
- Also she doesn't fall into the generic prude no sex puritan girl many final girls do, as its implied strongly she had sex with Holtz her first night.
- Bag over head is effective altho not as much as it was in The Town that dreaded Sundown.

CONS & NITPICKS
SPOILER: Show
- A few Occasions especially the 2 times when he is fighting Holtz, Jason seems kinda short and so it Briefly takes some of his menace away.
- Altho it did make for a very good suspenseful opening, I personally don't particularly like that they killed off Alice, plus it brings up the question of how the hell did Jason track her down? I seriously doubt she was staying in the town right off the way from Crystal le altho that might go along with her telling her mother that this is the only way she can move on with her life.
- This is more just a general problem with the franchise but its never explained how/why Jason is alive if his Mother thought him dead because I seriously doubt we are suppose to think Jason rapidly aged after he jumped out of the water at the end of 1. My theory is Pamela did know and maybe she is the one that built that makeshift cabin for him, but when she found out the camp was going into operation her traumatic shock and madness left over from the drowning event itself took over canceling out the fact that he was alive.
- Mark should have been allowed to get laid before getting his.
- Sandra should have gotten naked on screen, by god!, Just her in her Bikini was better than some of the series other nude scenes.

Finally got around to continuing to re watch this series...
Spoilers abound...

Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)
Pros...
- Best score of the franchise easily, builds tension very well without using the chi-chi-chi too much.
- I like the whole cast, even Vera. I get a genuine feel of friendship among most of them. Like 2 even the practical joker is likable & sympathetic.
- Chris is a good final girl, not as resourceful or strong as Ginny in 2 but still solid. At first it looks like she is going to be helpless & hysterical calling out for Rick but once she finds out he is dead, she strengthens up pretty quick. That being said... I liked her more in previous viewings then in this one, not sure why the change.
- Solid final chase.
- Indifferent to this Jason's facial make up but I loved the hunch back & oversized neck to him in this one.
- I appreciate how it connects directly from 2.
- I like the sets a good deal, felt like a lot of work went into making the house & the barn feel authentic & not cheap. (they built the house from scratch if you take a look in the Crystal Lake memories book)
- I liked the moment with the biker chick Fox exploring the barn with a child like awe, always reminds me of myself doing the same in my passed on Grandfather's barn/workshop/farm.

Cons/Nitpicks...
- Yes there is some forced 3D moments but they aren't too insufferable and aren't placed in scenes of tension thankfully.
- Film has a good number of mistakes with missing blood, 1st with Jason not bleeding out onto his new shirt from the hacked open shoulder he got at the end of 2/start of this. 2nd with Andy's blood not covering the majority of the hallway after his disemboweling, 3rd with Andy's blood not covering the Hammock before Debbie even had the chance to lay in it.
- Pamela attacking Chris is retarded for 2 reasons.
A.) If she is a physical Zombie, how is her head attached to her body again?
B.) She could not be a dream by Chris as there is no evidence in the film that she has ever even heard of the Voorhees family.
So the only explanation left is that it was simply Pamela's ghost.

Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter (1984)
Gonna say this up front, 4 I think was one of the last films in the series that I ever saw and it kinda fell flat to me, not bad but simply more of the same while most people claim it is a top 3 contender for best film.
This viewing (3rd or 4th viewing ever I think, first in at least 3 years) I enjoyed it a lot more.

Pros...
- Like 3, this one connects directly from the previous film & is better for it. The scenes of cops combing Higgin's Haven are effective and especially so is the moment when the last cop cars & the Helicopter fade into the distance & out of sight leaving Higgins alone in eerie darkness, haunting.
- This film makes a lot better use of Shadow & lighting then 3 did.
- Trish (kimberly beck) is a great final girl, effectively surpassing Chris from 3 in my book this viewing. Her charging back into the basement with Machete in hand to desperately try & save Rob at the last minute was awesome. Love her blue outfit.
- General cast isn't quite as likable as 2 or 3 but still friendly enough, at first they seem extremely interchangeable & generic but slowly several of them solidify their identifies.

Cons/Nitpicks...
- Score is fine, but not nearly as good as 3's was.
- Jason despite being hidden in shadow for a lot more of this film doesn't look quite as menacing as he did in 3. The mask & how it fits on his face doesn't look as good IMO.
- Tommy attempt to distract Jason is... bizarre & nonsensical, he is basically trying to do what Ginny did at the end of 2, except Ginny was imitating Jason's mother who he clearly worshiped what with her severed head at a alter. But Tommy is trying to imitate Jason himself as a child??? Saying "remember me?" that would certainly confuse Jason with him always having been mentally handicapped but still. I think the scene would have made more sense if Tommy had instead tried to pretend being a child "like" Jason and attempt to convince him that they were born the same or something.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:39 am

VIDEODROME:

I just Saw James Woods have his chest Vagina fisted by a VHS Tape made of hamburger meat. Am I gonna be okay?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:39 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Agreed that was damn solid.
Have you seen Night/Curse of the Demon (1957)?
That was also among the stronger 1950s horror film, good sense of supernatural tension and a solid mythos/mechanism for the monster.

I've seen that, its a good horror film and the demon close up animatronic scene is really impressive for the time. ^_^

Awesome looking demon  SPOILER: Show
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:17 pm

The last movie I watched was eternal sunshine of the spotless, those were marching orders I got directly from my crush.

Good ones too because it's an incredible movie. A lot more than I would expect from what I thought would be a rom com.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:05 am

Rosemarys Baby:

There's one thing you don't want to be in a horror movie it's a pregnant lady.

I knew what I was in for when I brought this DVD into the house and my mom nearly had a Jesus-induced conniption fit. She said she regretted ever seeing it.

The rape scene with the Satanist cult is a lot more creepy now that I know the director is an actual rapist. ( not helped by the fact that one of the characters shares his name) Also, what is it with Roman Polanski and rooms full of naked old people? There was the scene in his Macbeth movie with something almost identical.

I'd say this movie is more creepy than scary.

EDIT:
After thinking about it for a bit. . . I think I understand why this movie creeped me out but didn't scare me.

It is a creepy thought to realize that a person next door could be a member of a creepy cult. A person you'd see as sweet and harmless as your own grandmother.

It was the more outright "Satanic Cult" aspects that didn't scare me. In fact, I found them to be laughable for most of the film. Not only because I personally find that not creepy or scary at all. But because. . . it's so tame compared to other so-called "Satanic" things I've seen during my years watching horror.

We live in a post Hellboy world, a Post Hellraiser world, a post American Jesus world, so compared to those things where the supernatural evil is a much more proactive force. Rosemary's Baby seems terribly tame by comparison.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:15 am

Scarecrows (1988)
- I would avoid trailers as they tend to be spoilery.
- Among my favorite horror films. Not top favs but still in there for sure.
- Great focus on unnerving tension & mood.
- Isolated farm setting is well used.
- Damn good score.
- Characters despite mostly being criminals are fleshed out well enough with each having their own ticks & bonds with each other. I particularly like Corbin who just seems like the brutal muscle of the group but ends up showing himself to have a lot of honor & compassion.
- Ending is a bit mean spirited but it works.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Over Your Dead Body

Atmospheric Miike film in which you wonder which reality is the right one. Truth be told, Kou Shibasaki was the main motivator towards picking this film for Halloween evening since i really am a fan of Shibasaki as an actress.
Last edited by Gus Hanson on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:53 pm

RINGU

. . . Am I just jaded? I didn't really find this scary at all. I guess it's just not as Visceral as what I'm used to from horror. Horror thrives on Subtlety, but this a slow boil horror film if there ever was one. We don't even see Sadoko until the end of the movie. And stuff that was in the American movie isn't here. The body horror moments from the American movie? Like the coughing up hair scene? That's not here at all.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Yorgos Lanthimos' The Killing Of A Sacred Deer is a sick delight. If you're lucky enough that it's playing near you don't miss out. See it!

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:23 pm

47 Meters Down

Pleased at seeing a shark film that has less to do with surviving them and more on conserving breath survival. Although as soon as the captain said the bit about the spare tanks, i could immediately sense what was the twist in all of this. And the credits need to be criticized for not including the cast at the end part and just mentioning the crew... :facepalm:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Return to “Film and Video”