Pacific Rim

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Pacific Rim

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:13 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Not sure what to think of the first trailer for Pacific Rim 2. Feels very Power Rangers-like.
Still, as long as they keep making these and leave Eva alone it's all good.

Yeah I felt this on first viewing I was kind of worried because it looked transformers like in the tone and style but really I want to give it the benefit of the doubt even though I don't like the idea of regenerating Kaiju as for me that only works with Godzilla and I'm hoping the two Jaeger that are shown fighting in the new trailer are fighting over politics, betrayal or an event that could have gotten some one killed and not over the female character as I'm sick to death of that trope.

As I have watched Spartacus blood and sand and Gods of the Arena I know that Steven S. DeKnight can tell a good story and he can do believable characters that you care about but I'm just worried that he could make the same mistake he made with the final two series of Spartacus which is making everything about four characters and not showing the efforts the others ex slaves were putting in to the rebellion and Pacific Rim's last film was a lot about everyone putting in there efforts at what ever cost even if it meant there lives or scrambling there brains.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm just going to point out that most of what you guys are discussing was part and parcel of the mecha genre and tokusatsu before Evangelion even existed, obviously because Anno worked on those kinds of shows before hand or watched them. A few of the pacific rim designs do take cues from mobile suit designs and other mecha designs (even if they are done in that crass modern western way which makes such cues hard to see).

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:38 pm

^ I agree, but Hollywood seems to be on the hunt for the grimmer titles in whatever genre it's attempting to harvest. (Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Death Note, ect...) So I don't think Gundam is in as much danger of a needless American remake as Evangelion is.

Also, Eva is one of the first of the giant mecha/tokusatsu titles we've heard possibly getting a remake from Hollywood, courtesy of ADV. Sure, the project has long since been abandoned, but the concerns are still there.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:10 pm

The first season of Spartacus is one of the best TV shows ever made and is vastly better than it has any right to be.

I've only ever watched through the second and third season once. I tried a rewatch but lost interest. Andy Whitfield carried the show and his passing was a terrible tragedy.

I hope this movie has lots of rocket punches since they can't have JUPITER'S COCK every five words in the script.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:54 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^ I agree, but Hollywood seems to be on the hunt for the grimmer titles in whatever genre it's attempting to harvest. (Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Death Note, ect...) So I don't think Gundam is in as much danger of a needless American remake as Evangelion is.

It had one, it's so bad it's good tier with starship trooper props, released back in the early 2000's, they even made a HGUC 1/144 model of the gundam. Thankfully no one can remember it.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:14 pm

That was an American Hollywood Live-Action movie?

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:27 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:That was an American Hollywood Live-Action movie?

I'm sorry I should have clarified, thankfully it was just a 10 million dollar budget Canadian film, I think it put Sunrise off doing anything like that again. Definitely belongs on RLM's Best of the Worst.

Edit: The film is called G-Saviour
Last edited by Tankred on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:36 pm

That still sounds wild. I’m gonna need to find this thing.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:15 pm

^ They also tried to make a Gundam movie in the 1980s. It didn't go anywhere though.
http://www.zimmerit.moe/when-gundam-came-to-hollywood/
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:27 pm

There doesn't seem to be much hype for the sequel.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:54 pm

Not surprised.
While I personally love the movie, the first Pacific Rim is a bonafide bomb in the western world. Without marketing, the film cost $200 million to make and only made $102 million at the box office in its entire run.... or less than what Black Panther did in its second weekend.

The film made a mint in China though ($112 million) and Pacific Rim: Uprising is basically a Chinese blockbuster that will also happen to play in America. Legendary Pictures who made the movie is even owned by Chinese investors now. Anywho, early box office experts put the film at an opening weekend of $20 million and a domestic run of maybe (MAYBE) $50 million. I’m sure it must work out to major profit somehow but I’m amazed how this movie has been created in hopes to replicate the box office “success” of Warcraft. (Budget - $160 million. US Gross - $47 million. Chinese Gross - $213 million)

Crazy thing is if the movie does Chinese box office numbers (you may not have heard of it but Wolf Warrior 2 was one of the biggest films of last year with a gross of $875 million, plus Monster Hunt 2 had the largest non-Star Wars opening day of all time with $97 million in one day, hell the day that movie came out - February 16, 2018 - three other releases did huge sales as well and broke the one day ticket sales record by about $70 million so there’s real money to be made appealing to Chinese audiences) there may very well be a Pacific Rim 3 made one day that still costs north of $200 million and just goes straight to Netflix or something in the US. It’s a new world.

Plus, not having Guillermo Del Toro has your director takes some of the appeal away.

I’ll be there to see the sequel opening weekend in an empty theater but I don’t have the highest of hopes for it as a film. I’ll gladly take a fun 100 minutes though.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:05 pm

It's the only film this year besides Solo that I'm planning in advance to see. I need more live action robot cartoons in my life.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:03 am

I found Pacific Rim OK but meh, and am finding myself to have no interest in the prospect of another installment.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:46 pm

Yeah, Uprising is largely what you'd expect, a plasticky Chinese cheapie compared to the first film. But I honestly didn't expect them to lift the very final action setpiece from

SPOILER: Show
RoboGeisha

so props for that at least.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Are there a bunch of tiny man sized kaiju?
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:09 pm

Well I saw this...

Sadly the rotten tomatoes reviews are right this is not a good film it has great ideas but they never use them to the max, its the same with some of the characters who are so great but just aren't used well. Knight seems to believe that a small group of people can put a group of busted Jaegers back together when Del Toro's version makes massively clear it take 1000 men/women crews to work on them. The movie has no sense of real reality like the original had it feels like the transformers movies and its such a shame as the twist in this is so clever but its lost on the film as it just can't carry it and the worst thing is them not having Hermann and Newt together as they were one of the best parts of the original film.

Plus if you really liked Mako from the first film you will hate what happens to her in this film and how badly handled and insulting it is to her character. Also the aftermath of this event is handled so badly and her brother acts like nothing is wrong he doesn't cry or get angry, like a real person would in that scenario or scream at the enemy I'm going to fuck you up for what you took from me and it implied heavily that they both grew up together and care about each other as siblings.

So yeah I'd say wait for this to come to TV or netflix its not worth busting your wallet on...
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:40 am

Well, I saw Uprising this weekend, and I wish I hadn't. What a vapid turd of a movie. It shares a place of dishonor with Crono Cross and Alien Covenant in being able to taint my enjoyment of the original.

They kill off Mako in a fucking helicopter crash around 30 minutes into the movie in one of the most blatant fridge stuffings I've seen. It happens purely to get Boyega's character to re-join the PPDC. 10 minutes after it happens, it's forgotten and never comes up again. Very little impact on the plot or characters. She almost blew the lid on the villain's plot but they carry it out before any of the intel can be acted on.

What makes it worse is that they give new girl Amara the same backstory and character arc. On top of that, there were several scenes later in the movie where it felt like she was supposed to be but a paper-thin new character was stapled into her place. Motivational speech about being a family? Boring Whitebread does that. He gets injured and can't pilot Gipsy with Jake? Amara does that, and helps Reyes rebuild the Jaegers. Piloting scrapper to help Gipsy? Shao does that and it's never indicated beforehand that she even knows HOW. Mako absolutely should have been in the cockpit with Jake at the end.

The new Jaegers were all a bunch of useless jobbers. Especially Gipsy Aveger. It spends the whole movie getting slapped around. There is no big Fuck Yeah Humanity moment like the original had.

Also the villain's plot is a blatant plothole and completely contradicts the last movie. The kaiju are all trying to get to Fuji to blow up the world. Makes sense in this movie because the kaiju come from multiple breaches. Impossible in the first since they all come from one and had to move away from Japan to end up where they did.

I left the theater genuinely angry at this movie. Only Covenant made me that angry before
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:07 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I left the theater genuinely angry at this movie. Only Covenant made me that angry before

That is just how I felt when I walked out of this theatre and I agree with your points in spoiler. Its like the movie says to you oh look here is everything you loved about the first movie now watch me stamp on it in this one and insult you, I hope this doesn't get a sequel and instead they bring back Del Toro so he can ether do a prequel or do what some movie makers do and ignore the (bad) sequel and do a new one in its place and say fuck it I'm rewriting it. :irked:

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:45 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:That is just how I felt when I walked out of this theatre and I agree with your points in spoiler. Its like the movie says to you oh look here is everything you loved about the first movie now watch me stamp on it in this one and insult you

It did feel like that, yes. And I might not have been so down on the movie if it offered something compelling in its place or if it had taken any of those plot developments in interesting directions, but it took the most cookie-cutter approach with all the new stuff.

And now that I think on it more, Boyega's backstory is contradictory nonsense too. He got kicked out of the progranm for being stupid and wanted a chance to prove Stacker wrong, so where the hell were he and Ranger Whitebread when Stacker was pulling together all the Jaeger stuff he could find at the Hong Kong shatterdome? Are we supposed to believe Stacker wouldn't pull up two compatible pilots when he recruited Raleigh after his insubordinay
tion got his copilot killed and destroyed a very valuable mark 3 jaeger? Especially when his son 'had the potential to be one of the best?' And even if he didn't, where was Whitebread? Hell, Stacker told Raleigh that everyone who could pilot a mark 3 was dead! Jake really feels like Boyega's self-insert donut steel.

I can't even remember what his co-pilot's name was, because he's such a generic nothing character. Same with the cadets. I know Amara and Viktoria. One of them died at the end but I couldn't begin to tell you which one. Didn't know even when I was watching the movie because they don't matter. Only Viktoria and that other kid who piloted Bracer Phoenix with them had anything resembling a character. They only exist for that Misfit Mobilization Moment at the end, and even during that they don't do anything but take up time until the climax needs to happen.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:17 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:It did feel like that, yes. And I might not have been so down on the movie if it offered something compelling in its place or if it had taken any of those plot developments in interesting directions, but it took the most cookie-cutter approach with all the new stuff.

And now that I think on it more, Boyega's backstory is contradictory nonsense too. He got kicked out of the progranm for being stupid and wanted a chance to prove Stacker wrong, so where the hell were he and Ranger Whitebread when Stacker was pulling together all the Jaeger stuff he could find at the Hong Kong shatterdome? Are we supposed to believe Stacker wouldn't pull up two compatible pilots when he recruited Raleigh after his insubordinay
tion got his copilot killed and destroyed a very valuable mark 3 jaeger? Especially when his son 'had the potential to be one of the best?' And even if he didn't, where was Whitebread? Hell, Stacker told Raleigh that everyone who could pilot a mark 3 was dead! Jake really feels like Boyega's self-insert donut steel.

I can't even remember what his co-pilot's name was, because he's such a generic nothing character. Same with the cadets. I know Amara and Viktoria. One of them died at the end but I couldn't begin to tell you which one. Didn't know even when I was watching the movie because they don't matter. Only Viktoria and that other kid who piloted Bracer Phoenix with them had anything resembling a character. They only exist for that Misfit Mobilization Moment at the end, and even during that they don't do anything but take up time until the climax needs to happen.

Again I agree with the cookie cutter elements....and bad story line.

The forgettable candidates and the stupid training program was also flawed as the first movie makes clear though it is military is in fact about mental aptitude when piloting Jaegers not about machoism, that's not to say you can't be fit but the mental side is way more important as you can't drift otherwise.

This film also seems to believe you can shove none compatible piolts together and they can still piolt yet the original showed clearly you can't have mismatch the candidates must have a strong emotional connection or the jaegers won't move period and it has to even stronger to move one on your own and if a piolt is killed it does you great deal of mental damage and trauma due to the mental load.

This is pushed even further in the Graphic novel Tales From Year Zero which implies the drift was created by two scientist desperate to create the Jaegers system by pure accident and they later became a couple and later piolts in there own right, implying that anyone from any back ground can piolt and it has zero to do with military background and none of this candidate, ranger bullshit existed they pick anyone they can and train them so long as they have strong drift.

Last edited by silvermoonlight on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Film and Video”