Pacific Rim

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

silvermoonlight
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Pacific Rim

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:13 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Not sure what to think of the first trailer for Pacific Rim 2. Feels very Power Rangers-like.
Still, as long as they keep making these and leave Eva alone it's all good.

Yeah I felt this on first viewing I was kind of worried because it looked transformers like in the tone and style but really I want to give it the benefit of the doubt even though I don't like the idea of regenerating Kaiju as for me that only works with Godzilla and I'm hoping the two Jaeger that are shown fighting in the new trailer are fighting over politics, betrayal or an event that could have gotten some one killed and not over the female character as I'm sick to death of that trope.

As I have watched Spartacus blood and sand and Gods of the Arena I know that Steven S. DeKnight can tell a good story and he can do believable characters that you care about but I'm just worried that he could make the same mistake he made with the final two series of Spartacus which is making everything about four characters and not showing the efforts the others ex slaves were putting in to the rebellion and Pacific Rim's last film was a lot about everyone putting in there efforts at what ever cost even if it meant there lives or scrambling there brains.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm just going to point out that most of what you guys are discussing was part and parcel of the mecha genre and tokusatsu before Evangelion even existed, obviously because Anno worked on those kinds of shows before hand or watched them. A few of the pacific rim designs do take cues from mobile suit designs and other mecha designs (even if they are done in that crass modern western way which makes such cues hard to see).

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:38 pm

^ I agree, but Hollywood seems to be on the hunt for the grimmer titles in whatever genre it's attempting to harvest. (Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Death Note, ect...) So I don't think Gundam is in as much danger of a needless American remake as Evangelion is.

Also, Eva is one of the first of the giant mecha/tokusatsu titles we've heard possibly getting a remake from Hollywood, courtesy of ADV. Sure, the project has long since been abandoned, but the concerns are still there.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:10 pm

The first season of Spartacus is one of the best TV shows ever made and is vastly better than it has any right to be.

I've only ever watched through the second and third season once. I tried a rewatch but lost interest. Andy Whitfield carried the show and his passing was a terrible tragedy.

I hope this movie has lots of rocket punches since they can't have JUPITER'S COCK every five words in the script.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:54 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^ I agree, but Hollywood seems to be on the hunt for the grimmer titles in whatever genre it's attempting to harvest. (Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Death Note, ect...) So I don't think Gundam is in as much danger of a needless American remake as Evangelion is.

It had one, it's so bad it's good tier with starship trooper props, released back in the early 2000's, they even made a HGUC 1/144 model of the gundam. Thankfully no one can remember it.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:14 pm

That was an American Hollywood Live-Action movie?

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:27 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:That was an American Hollywood Live-Action movie?

I'm sorry I should have clarified, thankfully it was just a 10 million dollar budget Canadian film, I think it put Sunrise off doing anything like that again. Definitely belongs on RLM's Best of the Worst.

Edit: The film is called G-Saviour
Last edited by Tankred on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:36 pm

That still sounds wild. I’m gonna need to find this thing.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:15 pm

^ They also tried to make a Gundam movie in the 1980s. It didn't go anywhere though.
http://www.zimmerit.moe/when-gundam-came-to-hollywood/

Return to “Film and Video”