Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: I Think I Hate Isekai (Fantasy World) Anime

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Another thing that's been bugging me about Isekai anime that I forgot to put in the original post. is the irresponsibility a lot of authors tend to have when it comes to the people the protagonist loves being left behind in our world.

In short. What about the parents? Namely, don't the protagonists ever ONCE give thought to the very real possibility that they'll never see their parents or their friends and family ever again? Something that always bugs the crap out of me about these kinds of stories. Especially when the main characters sucked into said fantasy world are kids or teens. Especially when said fantasy world is more towards the cynical side of the scale of idealism vs cynicism.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:45 pm

Most of the time, protagonists of those series are NEETs, shut ins, social outcasts or straight up assholes, that have no one to connect them to the old world, so they can fully immerse themselves in a new sandbox, usually unbound by pesky laws and morality of their old dimension.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:39 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:Most of the time, protagonists of those series are NEETs, shut ins, social outcasts or straight up assholes, that have no one to connect them to the old world, so they can fully immerse themselves in a new sandbox, usually unbound by pesky laws and morality of their old dimension.

Rising Shield Hero doesn't portray the protagonist taking a little Tanuki girl as his personal slave, and him using a magic spell to keep her in line when she disobeys as anything wrong! That's kind've messed up.
Last edited by Ray on Mon May 03, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Whoo boy. Shield Hero.

His approach to Raphtalia is the least of the gripes I have with him. Towards her and the rest of his slaves he at least have the virtue of trying to leave a world better for them once he's gone. And he actually tries to find a way back home.

But what i hate about him is that he practically never developes as a character. He stays static throughout all the novel. After princess betrays him, he becomes a callous dick. And STAYS THAT WAY. Every character in the novel, even the bafoonic heroes evolve as characters. Hell, even Malty changes along the way. For even more backstabbing and deranged but she does, and she's pretty much there only as a hate sink for Naofumi. He doesn't. He constantly also reminds us that he won't even try. At least every five chapters or so, he calls attention to one of his horrible vices, and then outright states that he has no intention of changing that. And yet everyone constantly gets hammered in the head that "he is right".

Another thing is that he constantly gripes how dirty, cruel and horrible is this world... While milking the system for all it's worth and for his personal vendetta does things that are outright monstrous. When Malty got sentenced to become a "wife" for a king known for his penchant for torture and snuff rapes, who is already stated to kill thousends of wives in his long life, she tries to commit suicide. Naofumi orders for her to be stopped and restrained, so she won't escape being tortured and raped to death.

And then he complains when the murderuous king considers him buddy buddy and sends him his snuff videos.

And pretty much only Raphtalia comments on his behaviour with a line or two, and it promptly gets ignored in favour of rfeminding everyone again that Naofumi gets shit done and everyone who disagrees with him is stupid and wrong.

This is not a flawed hero. This is GTA level of douchbaggery with more hypocrisy added.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:23 pm

Malty got sentenced to become a "wife" for a king known for his penchant for torture and snuff rapes, who is already stated to kill thousends of wives in his long life, she tries to commit suicide. Naofumi orders for her to be stopped and restrained, so she won't escape being tortured and raped to death.

And then he complains when the murderuous king considers him buddy buddy and sends him his snuff videos.

HOLY SHIT. I only read the first book!

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:47 pm

But are we talking about Web Novel or Light Novel? I've read Web Novel translated. LN may be less... Brutal so to speak. But the scenes like I mentioned above? While they are barely few in the whole novel... Each one gets worse and more Saw-like.
Another jaded man.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:53 pm

I read the first light novel and I didn't like it AT ALL.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:04 pm

The manga seems to follow LN so I'm occasionally checking it for differences as new chapters come out and it seems more subdued in graphic violence. Also some new characters are introduced so I may stick around for them. Still, Naofumi remains one of the most unappealing and annoying protagonists I've seen. He's basically a crappy, edgelord self insert in a badfic.
Another jaded man.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:32 am

For a moment I thought this thread was about tube recommended the currently airing anime Isekai Shokudo. I checked it out because some guy on youtube recommended it, but every episode of the show is about the same thing. All this show is about is fantasy characters getting excited about eating food from earth. I mean I guess it's ok for what it is, but if you watch any episode of the show it's pretty much interchangable. Some fantasy character will find the restaurant, try ordering some food thats not available on their world and get all excited about how the food is good. It's not like in yaketate Japan where crazy shit happens when the character eats something good either, it's just like dwarf/elf/whatever sits down orders something, eats it and is like "Hey, this place is pretty good, you're getting a five star review from me!" that's every episode, it's just fantasy characters eating food and talking about how good the food is!
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:11 pm

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/vice-a ... 03/.122210

"How easy it is to make an Isekai Anime" (Slightly NSFW)

This is so accurate it hurts.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:43 pm

The part that actually hurts is that it would be more digestable than what I've seen so far (Overlord, Shield Hero, Re:Monster...)
Another jaded man.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Overlord wasn't too bad. At least it acknowledges that the bad guy IS a bad guy. I'm like Shield hero where it doesn't treat the hero as a bad guy for doing the messed up things he does.

Return to “Anime and Manga”