Shinji's View of Asuka + NGE Card Game Canon Corroboration

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
anonymaus
Lilith

Shinji's View of Asuka + NGE Card Game Canon Corroboration

•      
  •      

Postby anonymaus » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:24 am

Hello Evageeks. I've shamelessly exploited your wiki for years. I figured I should drop in and exchange some of my own ideas.

One of the chief mysteries of NGE seems to be Shinji and Asuka's relationship. There is a lot of seemingly contradictory behavior, especially on Asuka's end.
I don't understand what Asuka thinks of Shinji yet. For that I only have vague conjecture based on intuition.
However I think I do understand what Shinji thinks of Asuka by the series' end.

A good amount of this theory is based around secondary materials like the Evangelion card game. I attempted to show that the NGE card game was likely written by Anno or someone else heavily invested in NGE's writing process. At the very least it can not be fanfiction typed up by a Bandai intern. Whoever wrote the H-11 card either noticed some easily overlooked aspects of the series by watching it, or wrote those aspects themself. From the way the information is presented I'm almost sure it was #2.

This is a thumbnail image, open it in a new tab to read the text.

I won't bother to completely regurgitate everything I've already put in this image, but here are the major points: Shinji is a stand-in for Anno. Anno is attracted to Asuka for reasons ranging from 'She's cute.' to pseudo-oedipusoid longing for comfort. Thoughts he has had about Asuka seem to make an appearance in the anime, including a fantasy involving crying into her chest. I personally wonder if the masturbation scene, and the comments about Shinji exploiting Asuka to satisfy his libido, were born from Anno masturbating to the character and then feeling guilty about it. Shinji appears to wish for Asuka when Rei asks what he wants from Instrumentality. I wonder if this response, too, was born from Anno asking himself what he would request if he were in Shinji's shoes.

In general it appears that Anno placed his deepest feelings and self appraisals into the story probably because he believes they are more logically structured and believable than if he tried to invent fictional ones for Shinji.
Last edited by anonymaus on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Re: Shinji's View of Asuka + NGE Card Game Canon Corroboration

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:43 pm

It is said that Shini and Asuka are "attracted" to each other or wanting each other's company. But as far as attraction goes, that might be a stretch there. As you can tell, a lot negative things happened between them, so their relationship was rather toxic. Shinji might have some feelings for her, but at the same time, he might have been objectifying her, and may not have cared for her genuinely (because of the way she treated Shinji, who would've cared for someone like her?). He was also desperate for someone to give him affection, and Asuka just happens to be there, it didn't matter who.

As for Asuka, well, I'm not sure exactly what she thinks of him, as I'm still not able to completely understand her character, or her relationship with Shinji; I'm still trying to wrap my head around that. Sure, she might have been trying to get attention from him, flirt with him even. Though I don't think she really cares for him. "Anyone would do" as Asuka had accused Shinji of in the pre-instrumentalty sequence. Basically, she's wanting attention, but will give none in return. She may have accused him of that most likely because she may have been projecting herself on to him, unaware that both he and she are being held accountable for that. That's their major issue, they both feared being abandoned and they latched themselves into someone who could give them love while they leech it from them.

And for what happens after the end, who knows what they'll do from here on out. Could be good, could be bad. Life is full of uncertainty, so it have to be up to us to carve our future. I'm pretty sure that's what Mr. Anno wants us to do, which is supposedly why the ending was left ambiguous. And there's also so many fanfics that takes place after EOE, some might be spot on while some could be argued for having the characters be...well, out of character. I think that sort of thing is up to us to decide what happens to Shinji and Asuka next.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:52 pm

View Original Postanonymaus wrote:I won't bother to completely regurgitate everything I've already put in this image

A lot of the text is quite difficult to read (eye-pain to the point I gave up), so translating the giga-image back into text and screenshots wouldn't be a bad idea. This would also make sure your post still has most of the relevant information within it even if at some point the image link(s) expire. If that huge image goes down, POOF!, there goes the context for (and much of the content of) your opening post.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

anonymaus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby anonymaus » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:09 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:A lot of the text is quite difficult to read (eye-pain to the point I gave up), so translating the giga-image back into text and screenshots wouldn't be a bad idea. This would also make sure your post still has most of the relevant information within it even if at some point the image link(s) expire. If that huge image goes down, POOF!, there goes the context for (and much of the content of) your opening post.

You're probably looking at the thumbnail, the full image is 1920x1080 and easy to read. Open it in a new tab for that.
Text hosting goes down, I'm not worried about sites falling. I have everything backed up myself, these images won't go extinct at least until I die.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 am

View Original Postanonymaus wrote:You're probably looking at the thumbnail, the full image is 1920x1080 and easy to read. Open it in a new tab for that.
Text hosting goes down, I'm not worried about sites falling. I have everything backed up myself, these images won't go extinct at least until I die.

You assume the readers have that size screen - those reading on tablets and phones probably don't, and many desktops also not. Also making people do something they wouldn't normally (like expanding their window to full screen just for you) is a good way to get them to pass by and ignore you.

If the text is in this forum it has the same life as the forum, and is automatically formatted to fit the display being used. Also people can quote from it as part of a discussion. The point about image hosting is that its links can fail before the forum (look at the older image threads!) or have hot-linking restricted - this is a separate issue from your own backups.

Of course you are free to do this however you want, but you'll get less interest if you present the information in what people perceive as an unfriendly way.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:31 am

Well, Reichu does have a point.
View Original Postanonymaus wrote:these images won't go extinct at least until I die.

Sure, they may not go extinct, but who knows if you'll remember to check every so often to make sure the hosting site doesn't lose it/go down/anything else that might happen. In that case, it may be extant on your HDD, but it won't be on EGF.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:47 pm

We already have a lot of image decay on this site -- see e.g. this thread as just one of many rendered nigh incomprehensible by the loss of image hosting and originally uploaded by members now long departed.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

anonymaus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby anonymaus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:19 pm

I updated this image with a new Anno quote on the topic of 'others.'
It further reinforces the canon likelihood of the card game, I think.
In conjunction with the kimochi warui card it seems to give the whole picture of Shinji and Asuka's little nonverbal conversation during the finale scene.
Shinji checks if rejection and 'others' are again possible, Asuka replies affirmatively.
The caress followed by 'kimochi warui' seems like both sides of the good and bad mother that Anno was talking about.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”