Aaron Clark (Eva Monkey) article in Otaku USA (Feb '14 issue

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:22 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:It should say, "Exclusive interview: Aaron Clark". :lol:

I wish I was that important.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:07 pm

I'm curious about how these things work: Does us buying the magazine contribute to the payment you see? Or is there just a set amount of money you get for writing the article?

I might stop by Barnes and Noble sometime next week to check it out since things are busy with Thanksgiving this week. How long will it be on newstands for?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:15 pm

I got paid per word, which really isn't a bad deal. I got something in print, and I got paid for it. In my book, that's a win win.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:04 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I'm curious about how these things work: Does us buying the magazine contribute to the payment you see? Or is there just a set amount of money you get for writing the article?

Aaron's fee doesn't change no matter how many issues sell is my understanding. If he had written a book it would be different.

Otaku USA sells back issues until they run out if you miss this one.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:14 am

Although if this issue sells well, that could incite Otaku USA to call him again to write other articles! ;)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:38 am

Feedback on the article would probably influence the staff more. I asked OP for his opinion on it.

*Still waiting...*

:uhh:
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

v3g4n
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby v3g4n » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:37 am

おめでとう
進む

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:44 pm

Just read my copy of Monkey's review in Feb 2014 Otaku USA. :asuka_thumbsup:

I definitely agree that 3.0 feels more like a continuation of EoE than 2.0, though I've so far enjoyed 3.0 and NME overall.

2 sentences in the review felt as if they were edited or condensed for space (the sentences that began with "One day prior to its theatrical release" and "To the excitement of fans", respectively), but that could have been a reading comprehension issue on my part.

I think it's a balanced review to read for anybody on the fence about watching 3.0--as long as they don't mind a major spoiler reveal. :wink:

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:59 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:2 sentences in the review felt as if they were edited or condensed for space (the sentences that began with "One day prior to its theatrical release"...

GAH. I rewrote that several times. It looks like the last time I revised it I failed to mention that the opening was released to the public. That's going to bug the shit out of me.

Surprisingly, I think my article was completely unedited. They moved things around, chose a highlight quote, and broke it up with some headings, but the content is almost entirely as I wrote it. I was hoping for some feedback or for them to direct me in the final draft, but no, they pretty much took it as is. Not sure if it's just how things work, or if time was a factor.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Maybe it was a mix of both? Still, that's nice to know they didn't edit any of your writing.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:18 pm

It's disappointing that it wasn't a critique of the film because, as much as I love the film, I'm fascinated with what nay sayers and detractors have to say of the film and their less than receptive views. Their reasons, IMHO, are often legitimate and understandable. Would've been nice to see Q get ripped into shreds, because that is what Eva does best: Polarize audiences!

:rei_hissyfit:

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:It's disappointing that it wasn't a critique of the film

And I'm hoping to do that. But this was supposed to be a feature, about the film as opposed to a review or critique. Reviews are what I'm more used to writing, and I feel there's a lot to be said, even if I'm just regurgitating feelings I have that others have already put to words.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Aaron Clark (Eva Monkey) article in Otaku USA (Feb '14 issue

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:46 pm

It's been a good long while since both of my Eva 3.0 articles have run in Otaku USA Magazine, so I've archived them on my site, just in case anyone is interested in reading them:

Feature from the February 2014 issue:
http://www.evamonkey.com/writings/clark ... t-redo.php

Review from the June 2016 issue:
http://www.evamonkey.com/writings/clark ... t-redo.php

And, just a quick FYI, I didn't write the titles, taglines, or section headers, that was editorial.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”