Toji's Attire

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:10 pm

I remember a friend of mine saying that the Tracksuit is something of a joke for the Japanese, usually in reference to the rather tacky styles of Japanese living in rural or less developed (meaning not Tokyo) areas.

If you ever saw the film Kamakaze Girls, there's a joke about Amagaski, the minor city that the film takes place in, and how nearly all of the inhabitants wear tracksuits for nearly all of their lives. While Toji is supposed to be from Kansai there's an inference via the tracksuit that he's a bit of a "hick" compared to the others at Tokyo-3.
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

SuperUltraMecha
Embryo

Why does Toji wear jogging clothes in a endless summer?

•      
  •      

Postby SuperUltraMecha » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:46 pm

And we never see him actually sweat or anything, sure you could say that because of his darker skin, he's not that affected by it. But this is a constant heat created by Second Impact, also Shinji's school has a dress code, so how come he doesn't get in trouble?

Seriously this is something that has always bugged me about EVA.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Why does Toji wear jogging clothes in a endless summer?

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:14 pm

View Original PostSuperUltraMecha wrote:Seriously this is something that has always bugged me about EVA.

Me as well. See my initial post for a somewhat detailed examination of his attire:

post/266382/Tojis-Attire/#266382

Best guess, he's the captain of the basketball team, and he's permitted to wear it whenever he wants because "school spirit" and either they never bothered to make that fact clear, or we were just expected to understand it.

Maybe we should try to ask Yoshiyuki Sadamoto on Twitter?

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: Toji's Attire

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:01 pm

I'll just add that the Toji character in the proposal was identified as a person who doesn't like to play sports

Could it not be, like, a...winter gym outfit? You can't wear shorts and a shirt all year round.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:31 am

This seems like a decent thread to ask this question in: What is Toji wearing on his forehead here? Does anybody know? I am seriously puzzled... unless it's supposed to be straps for a bag, or just foreshadowing for the toilet paper Angel.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:51 am

View Original Postimprimatur13 wrote:This seems like a decent thread to ask this question in: What is Toji wearing on his forehead here? Does anybody know? I am seriously puzzled... unless it's supposed to be straps for a bag, or just foreshadowing for the toilet paper Angel.

I'd say it's the straps of a bag.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:08 am

View Original PostCybermat47 wrote:I'd say it's the straps of a bag.

Do Japanese people commonly hold their bags that way? Or is this just another example of Toji's "rebelliousness" against the status quo?
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:49 am

Not rebelliousness, just idly assing around. I’m sure I did stuff like that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:19 am

Forehead harnesses are something that is still used in various parts of the world -- for example in some of the pictures attached to this blog, in contemporary Nepal. The internet has not been very forthcoming with data, but it's something that I associate with peasants hauling bales of rice -- so in Touji's case i see it as being a bluff forthright countryfolk habit, to go along with the Kansai-ben.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:06 pm

I'd say there is no in-universe reason for it. The tracksuit really might just be to make Toji look more different from Kensuke, and the surrounding people at school. And i must admit, he looks good in his tracksuit. Resembles slightly a gopnik, but still good looking. As long as he doesn't squat.
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:25 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Forehead harnesses are something that is still used in various parts of the world -- for example in some of the pictures attached to this blog, in contemporary Nepal. The internet has not been very forthcoming with data, but it's something that I associate with peasants hauling bales of rice -- so in Touji's case i see it as being a bluff forthright countryfolk habit, to go along with the Kansai-ben.

Thanks, Mr. Tines! I edited the cut to incorporate your info.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”