Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:40 am

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:48 am

Ray wrote:I'm curious as to what they're going to do for New Mutants, I haven't seen a single thing connected to that leaked. No set leaks, no teaser trailer, nothing.

No leaks? It must be pretty bad then, otherwise they would be trying to upsell it with adverts everywhere. I wonder if they think not putting anything out there will increase the hype, hoping to pull in as much $$$ as they can before people realizes it sucks. I couldn't even find a poster for it.

Although, I am looking forward to Deadpool 2, hoping for the Godfather Part 2, or ESB effect on a sequel.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:44 pm

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:45 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I'm curious as to what they're going to do for New Mutants, I haven't seen a single thing connected to that leaked. No set leaks, no teaser trailer, nothing.

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:No leaks? It must be pretty bad then, otherwise they would be trying to upsell it with adverts everywhere. I wonder if they think not putting anything out there will increase the hype, hoping to pull in as much $$$ as they can before people realizes it sucks. I couldn't even find a poster for it.

It's still 8 months away.

I had no interest in it until I discovered it's going to be a horror movie apparently adapting the demon bear story line.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:11 am

The Punisher trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIY6zFL95hE

Them having him go up against the CIA is interesting, but him taking out agents seems out of character as he has no way of knowing which of them are involved in curruption or just sent to take him out for being a vigilante.
:chinscratch:

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:06 pm

I like the remix of Metallica's One in the trailer. Very well done. Especially when they match the bullets to the snare rolls.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:45 pm

[DELETED]

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:10 pm

Being good for the sake of good isn't being naive.

But let's not do this again.

The issue with Superman in the DCCU is that they're lazy. These movies take Clark from confused boy trying to understand himself to silent secret hero to public figure to target of fear and ridicule to 'died for our sins' between cuts in the films.

Batman gets whole movies focused around developing his character. Yes, a Superman movie needs screen time for the spectacle, but what characterizes these movies is a lack of faith in the character of Superman. They conceded the argument to your beliefs that the Big Blue Boy Scout is obsolete somehow without even trying.

I don't know if it's Snyder's voice, or that he drew mostly from MIller, but the DCCU Superman seems pretty rooted in Frank Miller's DKR, and Miller's version of Superman is a super-strawman foil who's written specifically to represent Miller's fascistic view of a mid-80's Reagan conservative as not harsh and draconian enough in dealing with crime and issues of manliness. Unfortunately we've got a variant of Miller's Batman too, who is a walking icon of toxic masculinity. Far be it from a guy who dedicates his life to helping people at great personal cost to actually demonstrate any compassion.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:23 pm

Idealized Superman works best as a character because he's a reconstruction of humanity. Batman works best as a character because he's a deconstruction of humanity.

Batman V Superman works against itself by having both characters become deconstructions of humanity. Man of Steel is guilty by association, mostly for not building up to Superman learning how to be a reconstruction of humanity prior to Batman V Superman.

Suicide Squad works against itself simply because it's premise works against its own built-in logic.

Wonder Woman is amazing because she's finally the reconstruction of humanity that Batman needed to be offset by the whole time. Batman V Superman would have worked a whole lot better if it were Batman V Wonder Woman instead. It would actually retroactively redeem Man of Steel to have Superman sit out much of Batman V Wonder Woman, internally dealing with the destruction he inadvertently caused during the last movie, only to come back in action towards the end and help Batman and Wonder Woman save the day, sacrificing himself in the process. Batman and Wonder Woman would look at Superman's sacrifice, decide that they need to get over whatever hang up that would have been contrived by the writers and the studio for them to have, and decide to build a Justice League for the sake of selling movie merchandise from- I mean.... for the good of humanity.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:59 pm

@Chuckman

There's a bunch of nuance to your discussion that I don't have time to go into right now so for now I'll just leave it with this.

"Fascists are interested in controlling people's lives. Batman is interested in making criminals stop doing just that."
-Frank Miller

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 pm

@freaky

I like what you're thinking here but there hasn't been enough time with Clark to build the connection and character. They made the number one superhero movie mistake with him, by rushing to an iconic antagonist.

He deserved what Nolan gave Batman: an origin movie that explores who he is and why he does what he does with antagonist who's actually secondary to the hero, followed by a full film dedicated to exploring the growth of the hero side.

Like I said above, the Superman movies we wanted/needed exist only as montages within two lesser movies.

@Ray

Asking Frank Miller what fascism is is like asking a fish what air is. You're not going to get a usefull answer.

I dislike his definition of Batman and I think Batman could be an entirely different kind of hero and so far there hasn't been a serious live action exploration of the possibilities of the character. Miller and Batman '89 defined him as a cruel vigilante with serious mental health problems and barely contained murderous urges. There are other ways Batman can be explored that don't depend on him being fueled entirely by negative emotions.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:11 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I don't know if it's Snyder's voice, or that he drew mostly from MIller, but the DCCU Superman seems pretty rooted in Frank Miller's DKR, and Miller's version of Superman is a super-strawman foil who's written specifically to represent Miller's fascistic view of a mid-80's Reagan conservative as not harsh and draconian enough in dealing with crime and issues of manliness.

He was a military tool only to be used off American soil.
He wasn't being used to oppress regular Americans like haters of this interpretation like to pretend he was.

He sacrificed his free will so that he would be allowed to continue saving countless people & so that his fellow heroes would not be killed, which to him Is more important then his own personal freedom. That is a heroic sacrifice.

It's like you guys completely skipped over his narration in the book (and that the animated adaption removed completely like dicks).

And stopping vigilantes from operating isn't fascist. Are current American laws against taking the law into your own hands fascist? And DCEU Clark stopping a vigilante from torturing criminals & getting them killed in prison while giving him 1 more chance to retire sure as hell isn't fascist.

I don't see notable similarities between DKR Superman and DCEU Superman beyond the fact that both inhabit darker worlds and both have compromised for the greater good (DKR giving up his free will, Dceu staying hidden for many years even when it cost him his dad)

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:06 pm

Speaking of DC superhero movies, apparently Teen Titans Go is getting a movie next year. For those of you who don't know, Teen Titans Go is a mediocre-to-awful animated TV series supposedly based on the Teen Titans (though it has a lot more in common with such things as Ren and Stimpy or Cow and Chicken). Needless to say, Teen Titans Go is not popular with fans of the original comic books or the 2003 cartoon, and it doesn't help that Cartoon Network airs it many times a day. Nor does the fact that the show often pokes fun at said older incarnations of the series.

That being said, I am genuinely curious about how the movie will do. Movies based on kids' cartoons have a rather spotty record at the box office, and this one is coming out shortly after Hotel Transylvania 3 and on the same day as Mission Impossible 6.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Well, that's clearly a money grab for all the kids that actually watch that show to death. Teen Titans Go doesn't hold a candle to the original show, which was probably my favorite super hero cartoon next to Batman The Animated Series and Batman Beyond
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:04 pm

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:05 pm

The pendulum needs to swing so far back that it breaks the glass and releases the rest of the imprisoned D.C. characters. Watching Wonder Woman be her free, righteous self was awe inspiring and amazing, we need to Make Superman Great Again as well.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:00 pm

That sounds like there are some references to it within a larger score rather than the old theme being adopted for the new Superman.

Though, truth be told, I wouldn't mind. I hate Hans Zimmer's superhero scores and think they sound like a lifeless wall of drums with no clear theme for each character, which is something they need, especially in an ensemble piece.

This, however, will remain my favorite Superman theme, most likely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHpOVBEXCxM

The DCCU could learn a lot from the DCAU. They managed to make the characters unique and complex and gave Batman and Superman moral challenges and 'dark' storylines without being obnoxious about it. Plus whatever over-designed insult to Jack Kirby design they choose for Darkseid will never top the simplicity of his depiction there.

One of my favorite things about Marvel (esp. Thor) is all the homages to Kirby's aesthetic, but like the DCCU the Marvel movies have weak scores, the main exception being Iron Man, and that's just from Black Sabbath. Who can hum the theme for any of the other MCU/DCCU characters?

Edit: Elfman can get a little repetitive too, especially when he's working with Burton, but he created iconic themes for Batman and Spider-Man that fit the characters very well. (As much as I love the Wonder Woman theme it only seems to capture half of her personality)
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:24 pm

[DELETED]

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:00 pm

Hawk and Dove and Bwana Beast are in the last season of JL:U, which was made after the production team completed their vision, which had been carried through B:TAS, S:TAS, Static Shock, The Zeta Project,and the two JL shows. When the show got a surprised renewal after its expected cancellation and finale episode, they made a season long joke episode/homage fest... and you know what? It was great. It showcased the fantastic ways comics can be bizarre and fun and different.

Even then, there had been a 15 year franchise of serious, heavy adaptations and original stories that speak to children without talking to them and appeal to adults without self deprecation.

If you're going to talk about the DCAU, talk about Heart of Ice, Feat of Clay, The Laughing Fish, The Forgotten, Over the Edge (you want dark? how about an episode that begins with Scarecrow throwing Batgirl off a skyscraper and shows her hitting the windshield of Commisioner Gordon's car from the inside!), Showdown, The Demon's Head, The Man Who Killed Batman, Apokalipse Now!, Legacy, Identity Crisis, The Late Mr. Kent, etc. I could go on. It's actually easier to list the bad episodes, since there's only a handful of real stinkers.

Burton, in the article linked above, makes a really solid point: These movies are going way too far in trying to differentiate themselves from what has come before. They could learn a lot from previous adaptations and the actual comics they're adapting, besides the ones Frank Miller, may he forever walk on lego, wrote.

Oh, and Myxzy? Seriously? Haven't you ever read For The Man Who Has Everything?

I think it's a great shame for them to take this wild and beautiful imaginary universe full of gods and monsters and heroic struggles and wars and sacrifices and epic journeys and evil gods and lizardmen in the hollow earth and space police with magic rings and condense it into film in the form of a bunch of thick jawed pituitary mutants brooding in the rain.

Edit: Especially when over on the other side the Esteemed Competition has the nuts to put fuckin' Ego the Living Planet in one of their movies.
the prophecy is true

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:39 am

View Original PostRay wrote:How is the DCEU "imprisoning " anyone?

Chuckman is detailing it pretty well, so I'm not gonna get on his way explaining it. Just know that we're watching a bunch of movies where only one superhero out of 3 is allowed to be free enough to have a distinctive personality beyond basterdized Batman angst.

Return to “Film and Video”