Wait so how did Asuka die in EoE?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Wait so how did Asuka die in EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:56 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:She's holding her throat in the anime as well, but it's harder to see because everything's dark and red. Guessing the implication there is that the sync was cut at the same time Zeruel's arm reached Eva-02's neck, mere milliseconds before the head was completely severed.

I found the manga pages showing this as it has Misato shouting about cutting the Sync link as well though she says nerve connections. ^_^

SPOILER: Show
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:01 pm

Either way, it's implied that the pilots only felt the pain. ("That's not your real arm.") Pilots reaching for painful body parts is mere instinct while the pilots convince themselves that the pain doesn't mean anything. Actual physical damage was never a known and/or disclosed part of the deal until Asuka's death scene in EoE.

Edit: Also, is nerve connection the same thing as Sync Ratio? Seems to me like, with that terminology making this distinction, all the Bridge Bunnies can do is numb the pain around the damage.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:29 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:DarkBluePhoenix: Are you in the right thread? I can't figure out what your'e responding to.

Added the appropriate post for clarity.

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Either way, it's implied that the pilots only felt the pain. ("That's not your real arm.") Pilots reaching for painful body parts is mere instinct while the pilots convince themselves that the pain doesn't mean anything. Actual physical damage was never a known and/or disclosed part of the deal until Asuka's death scene in EoE.

Edit: Also, is nerve connection the same thing as Sync Ratio? Seems to me like, with that terminology making this distinction, all the Bridge Bunnies can do is numb the pain around the damage.

The nerve connections are a part of the sync ratio. They become more prominent and well defined the higher the sync ratio is. I think of that the way the pilots are connected to the EVA, the damage does manifest itself when the sync ratio is high enough, similar to how wounds from the matrix show up in your real body, and we don't have any way of knowing what the LCL does to enhance this connection or not, as much of the information known about the Evangelions true limitations seems to be either incomplete or just plain wrong.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:20 pm

I think Asuka's case is a special example of a really high sync rate. Other than Shinji's 400% ratio, this is probably the most in-tune a pilot has ever been with their Eva. Her movements are very fluid and determined, and she effectively is becoming one with the Eva. Another factor is the idea that Kyoko herself is more of a participant in the battle, indicated by the roaring we hear as Asuka fights the JSSDF, which possibly allowed Asuka to have an even greater sync than she would have normally.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:55 am

It depends on what you consider to be the visual cue of "Berserk." Usually it's indicated with an opened mouth and/or actual glowing eyes. (In Unit 02's case, 4 glowing eyes that appear to be separate from the ones indicated on the armor, as the armor has to open up in order to show them.) Unit 02 only does this twice in the entire series, once in Episode 8, and the other when the MPEs are circling overhead as Asuka is dying in EoE. At no point in EoE did it occur during the actual battle scene itself.

Bridge Bunnies seem to have no control over Sync Ratios (or anything, for that matter) when the Eva is in Bersek mode. All of their dialogue at that point expresses their failure to have any effect on the situation, and never is an exception given. By the time an Eva goes into Berserk mode, the unit itself becomes vulnerable to becoming a death trap to its pilot.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Unit-00 explicitly goes berserk during its activation test and exhibits neither glowing eyes or an open mouth.

However, I concede Unit 02 during the JSSDF battle was atypical of a berserk (I'd say Ep 08 is as well, for similar reasons). The reason I go to that term is because Unit 02's growling suggests an extra awareness/participation on the part of the Eva than normal. Ritsuko's comments about Unit 01 in Ep 19 suggests that Evas normally aren't supposed to be self-aware. Ideally, they should be like dormant puppets free for control, their consciousness subdued and limited to their connection with the pilot. Easy to control, however it seems like once the Eva exhibits any awareness of its own, that's when the bridge bunnies lose that control. When Unit 00 goes berserk, it acts confused and struggles with itself, like it was being flooded with new stimuli it couldn't handle. The way Unit-02 behaves is as though the beast has awakened and is stable, working in perfect unison with Asuka. This makes sense, considering the spiritual reunion between Kyoko and Asuka that launched the battle in the first place.

Edit: actually, I didn't even bring up the term berserk. That was you. :tongue:
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Depressed Corn Man
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Depressed Corn Man » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:44 pm

>_>

What exactly is a bridge bunny?
https://i.imgur.com/uMvmab1.jpg
*No longer as depressed!

Zeruss
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruss » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:52 pm

View Original PostDepressed Corn Man wrote:What exactly is a bridge bunny?

"Bridge Bunnies" is the light-hearted fan-nickname given to the team who works on the "bridge" of Nerv headquarters; the trio of Maya Ibuki, Makoto Hyuga, and Shigeru Aoba, although the other unnamed operators are also included under this definition.

Evageeks Geektionary: Bridge Bunnies

Alternatively...

I'm a lurker at heart.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Zeruss wrote:Alternatively...

That explains sooooo much.......
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:26 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Edit: actually, I didn't even bring up the term berserk. That was you. :tongue:

Ah, yes. That is true. I wonder what the dividing line for "Berserk" really is for Eva Units, then. Is there a canonical specification for Berzerk, or is it only recognized anytime a Bridge Bunny shots "Berserk!" during an intense scene?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:30 am

"Berserk" in Japanese is "out of control". Within the first few episodes we see it used to refer to an incident like episode 2, but not one like episode 3. So just the pilot going bonkers and disobeying orders doesn't count; the Eva needs to actually transcend human (Lilin) control in some way.

What happens between the Soryus in 25' would qualify as semi-berserk, IMO. This term is officially introduced in the description column of the 2.0 script when Mari gives partial control back to the Eva due to synch problems. The circumstances in EoE are obviously different, but I think "semi-berserk" perfectly captures what's going on.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

mys_721tx
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mys_721tx » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:00 am

There was a part that a Mass Produced Eva casually dropped Unit 02's torso before joining the rests during flight. We can only see Unit 02's sternum, ribs, and some lumbar vertebrae. It is unclear if the core and the entry plug were still present.

Suppose Unit 02's core is in front of the solar plexus like Unit 01; we don't see any round object near the sternum when Unit 02's stomach was mutilated. Speaking of which, I don't recall NGE or EoE has ever shown the location of Unit 02's core. But I digress.

If the core and entry were there, even if Asuka was not killed by any other ordeals during the battle, the drop alone is not very survivable.

Marie
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Marie » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:59 pm

The spears go completely through the Eva, I always thought that one must have hit the plug?
i'm best girl

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:10 am

She stopped breathing
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:45 pm

She didn't die, because she appears later with Shinji! :uhh:
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:12 pm

That's in Instrumentality - it is clear that those who die after a certain point (not clearly defined, but after which we see Rei collecting many of their souls) will still participate, and also have the option of coming back when it is ended by Rei at Shinji's request.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:46 pm

If one of the Spears would have hit the plug they would at least imply that briefly by a jet of LCL or Eva-blood or so. Plus, when did ever any mechanic or failsafe work with the Evas. A lot of the show might have been thought through, but it's still anime and logic is the least aspect in something like that.

Edit: How come that Shinji didn't lose his arm when it was ripped of by an angel, yet Asuka gets stabbed in the eye and her arm splits? Is that just a coincidence that nothing really happens to the "Chosen One"?
This is my first geekforum since Coraline, so it better be good here!

mys_721tx
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mys_721tx » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:47 pm

View Original PostTheChosenJuan wrote:If one of the Spears would have hit the plug they would at least imply that briefly by a jet of LCL or Eva-blood or so. Plus, when did ever any mechanic or failsafe work with the Evas. A lot of the show might have been thought through, but it's still anime and logic is the least aspect in something like that.

Edit: How come that Shinji didn't lose his arm when it was ripped of by an angel, yet Asuka gets stabbed in the eye and her arm splits? Is that just a coincidence that nothing really happens to the "Chosen One"?

How do the pilot take physical damage is never made clear in NGE. Maybe there is a synchronization ratio threshold so that once passed the pilot start to take damage. In Ep. 01, Shinji achieved synch ratio of 41.3%, it may be impressive on the first try but not enough to get the him physically linked to Unit 01. In Ep. 18, when Unit 03 is infecting Unit 00, the Unit 00's arm was blown off by explosives while Rei is synchronizing with Unit 00. We can see Rei has her arm bandaged in the beginning of Ep. 19. Also in Ep. 19, when Unit 02 is about to be beheaded by Zeruel, the command center disengaged the nerve connection to prevent Asuka from injury.

On the other hand, the Rebuild of Evangelion movies have shown that in the RoE continuity the pilots do take physical damage when their Evas are attacked.

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:25 am

[quote="mys_721tx#873151"
On the other hand, the Rebuild of Evangelion movies have shown that in the RoE continuity the pilots do take physical damage when their Evas are attacked.[/quote]

This may be, but it's still inconsistent throughout the movies. At least they don't emphasize the injuries taken to the full extent. Well, the entire physical damage in the entry plug system is whacky, to say the least.
This is my first geekforum since Coraline, so it better be good here!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 am

View Original PostTheChosenJuan wrote:If one of the Spears would have hit the plug they would at least imply that briefly by a jet of LCL or Eva-blood or so.

That's like saying, "If Kaji had been killed, they would have at least have shown him getting shot or his dead body".

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”