Forum Wackiness

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Forum Wackiness

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:43 pm

Yep, it's working for me now, too. Thanks!
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:10 am

Whenever I go to the forums, Chrome is giving me security certificate errors. Says the connection is not secure and the site couldn't prove it was Evageeks. Started last night, and only happens with the forums here.
[Redacted]

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:38 am

This has always been so, but browsers are getting more intolerant. To avoid it use http instead of https. We are working on getting a proper certificate, now that they can be got for free.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:28 am

The actual problem is that Google (Chrome's maker) has unilaterally decided that any site not offering a secure connection, or a incorrectly configured secure connection, is inherently dangerous, even if there's nothing on the site that could potentially harm anyone or anything. This means users get warned for potentially present danger when there may be none, probably only increasing the number of people who click through security warnings without reading them (:| .
New versions of Firefox have the same issue, as does anything based on Chromium. Don't know about Microsoft's stuff, I don't use it.

If/When the forum gets its own free certificate, I'd be interested in a tale recounting the procedure, because as I understand it it has some pitfalls that still make it difficult to use.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:55 am

Let's Encrypt provides free certificates; but they only have a life of 90 days, so they are only practical with an automatic update process. There are packages that can, I believe, do this in an Apache environment, and we are looking at that. I use a webserver (Caddy) that has the process built in and used on every site by default, and using this as a reverse proxy in front of an unchanged Apache setup is another option (which I use for those of my own sites which use Apache facilities not currently in Caddy). I have not come across any pitfalls or difficulties in the Caddy implementation; but adding such a thing to a live working Apache setup needs to be cautiously prepared for.

Meanwhile I doubt that there is anything in the forum that makes using the http way in a significant risk for anyone.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:36 pm

Something went wrong and my account was made 'inactive'. I don't know why. Fortunately I got an email to reset my account so I'm back.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:39 pm

Ray wrote:Something went wrong and my account was made 'inactive'. I don't know why. Fortunately I got an email to reset my account so I'm back.

Wow, that's a pretty crazy error. And I thought not getting notifications a while back was bad...
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:13 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Whenever I go to the forums, Chrome is giving me security certificate errors. Says the connection is not secure and the site couldn't prove it was Evageeks. Started last night, and only happens with the forums here.

Just wanted to say that I've had this same error with Firefox 54.0.01 and the version before it saying that the forum isn't secure. Just wanted to pass that on in case it means you need to alter the certificate in some way.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:06 pm

Nothing has changed. The security certificate is self-signed. It's on my job list to deal with (and I know exactly what I'll do), near the top, but I keep getting too busy! Meanwhile, use http rather than https and all is fine.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:52 am

Just to report: When I write "KO-waru" (without dash) it shows up as "Kaworu". Auto-spellcheck? Or weirdly specific virus? I do not know.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:14 am

The forum software has the facility to replace specified words or phrases; I imagine correction of this common typo has been set up (I've done the same on another forum).

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:22 am

Yes -- we apply corrections to common mis-spellings of character names through the word-filter mechanism
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:43 am

Ah, thanks! I was trying to write how they pronounced Kaworu's name in the DR commentary :).
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:00 pm

I couldn't get on the forum last night. What happened?

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:15 pm

Iruel? I always blame Iruel.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:19 pm

The machine that hosts the site's Linode had a hardware failure.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:22 pm

imprimatur13 wrote:Iruel? I always blame Iruel.

That seems like a logical argument. Although I am glad the issue was fixed.

However, I do have a question about the bookmarks feature. I still get notifications for everything I'm bookmarked to, but the bookmark function itself (adding and removing) seems to have stopped working. I tried getting rid of the bookmarks, but it keeps giving the same error whenever I try to either add or remove a bookmark. Error message is below.
SPOILER: Show
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:45 pm

That error shows up as a result of my custom URL-writing code not handling certain cases correctly. Looks like another such case has popped up.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:04 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Hello,

The last few days I haven't been getting any notifications from the site. I checked my yahoo account, and the last notification I received was a PM Notification on March 30th, around 4:30 EDT, but I've had other messages and posts I should have been notified of between then and now. Not sure if this is isolated to me, or is a system wide thing.

Also, I checked spam filter and all that, and nothing has been redirected there, and I've never had a problem like this before, as I've received all my notifications since I joined the site last August.

I can upload pics if you need them, I just can't edit out personal details from my email using my phone this late at night.

Anyway, I know you guys are busy, but any solutions you may have, or even identifying the issue would be greatly appreciated. I hate making my friend wait for me to PM back.

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:On site notifications are enabled and still work, it's just the e-mail notifications that seem to have disappeared.

I did double check the notification options last night, and those were still the same, sorry for not including that in the initial post. Being tired and making a post is not the smartest idea.

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:No change for me yet, still no e-mails, and the board preference settings are still set the way they have been since I joined. I also included a few screenshots (which I hope help), one of the preferences, and also of my e-mail account through yahoo that I use for this site. I am subscribed to this thread, so I should have gotten an e-mail at 1:10a or something, but nothing came.

The issue in the post I'm quoting above has come back. I haven't gotten any e-mail notifications from the site since the 17th, although the site notifications are working just fine.
SPOILER: Show

Do you guys think its the same problem as last time, or something different?

EDIT: Added the other posts I made on the subject I neglected to add the first time.
Last edited by DarkBluePhoenix on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:28 pm

I recently signed up for me to be notified by e-mail when I receive a message. I did get a message, but there was no corresponding e-mail. I double checked my user control panel, which has the correct mark and I checked through the spam section of my e-mail, and there was nothing. What's going on?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”