If Mari is british...

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BooBox
Embryo

If Mari is british...

•      
  •      

Postby BooBox » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Why do you think they decided not go with a "british" VO for the dub? The english VO didn't necessary do a bad job, it's a small thing that irks me, honestly not worth giving any thought to most likely, but I still like to hear what people think about this. I like the fact she at least speaks some english in the sub.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: If Mari is british...

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:37 pm

The fact that she doesn't use Cockney Rhyming Slang to keep Shinji from understanding what she's saying is one of the great missed opportunities of the 21st Century.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:55 pm

She's also Japanese (Makinami). Since that's what the characters are speaking most of the time (yes, even when dubbed in English), I'm not bothered by her not having a British accent while speaking Japanese.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Sachi wrote:She's also Japanese (Makinami). Since that's what the characters are speaking most of the time (yes, even when dubbed in English), I'm not bothered by her not having a British accent while speaking Japanese.

I was going to say the same thing, we're just hearing their conversations in English, so Asuka not having a German accent is just as acceptable as Mari not having an accent.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:29 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:The fact that she doesn't use Cockney Rhyming Slang to keep Shinji from understanding what she's saying is one of the great missed opportunities of the 21st Century.

Was that sarcastic? It sounded sarcastic... I, for one, think it would be a great idea, and might even make the dub worth my time.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:12 pm

My enthusiasm for the idea is quite genuine. I would love to hear a fandub, performed by a talented young lass fluent in Cockney, of the scene in question. :nyao:

Really is a shame the dub dropped the ball on this. Mari having access to the full compliment of British epithets in the heat of battle would have really spiced things up. Plus... well... British accent. I mean, come ON.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:30 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:My enthusiasm for the idea is quite genuine. I would love to hear a fandub, performed by a talented young lass fluent in Cockney, of the scene in question. :nyao:

Really is a shame the dub dropped the ball on this. Mari having access to the full compliment of British epithets in the heat of battle would have really spiced things up. Plus... well... British accent. I mean, come ON.

We should have Emma Watson do the voice over. I'm sure she would do a fine job at that.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:32 pm

You know, since british often refers to the UK and not just England, plus isn't some of her background about attending a catholic school? With Ireland being more catholic than England and i think you know where i'm going with this. Mari with an Irish accent... i like it.

All hail Irish Mari! :marihearts:

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:00 pm

This reminds me... dubs in general should have more decent foreign accents. I know they're based in Texas 'n' all, but still... I mean, they did it for Hetalia! I imagine most of those people are still there.
This should be mandatory. All anime dubs should have at least 50% non-American accents. It would make it very funny to watch (well, dubs are already funny to watch, but I mean: Funny for a reason other than laughably bad acting). Who's with me?
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:52 am

I've been watching the latest episode of Lupin the Third part IV on Toonami, and there are some guys with British accents. So I don't think that would be a problem if Mari did end up having a British accent.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:03 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:My enthusiasm for the idea is quite genuine. I would love to hear a fandub, performed by a talented young lass fluent in Cockney, of the scene in question. :nyao:

I don't think I'd like to hear the cockney version of Mari other in an Evabridged episode because then it could be really funny. Also it isn't how most British people talk and its used in a lot of movies and series along with the lofty royal accent and Its feel like how the rest of the world thinks we talk and how they think we all love the Queen or live next to her and visit and eat teacakes at fancy parties.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:06 pm

In the Japanese version, Mari speaks English to keep Shinji from understanding her phone call, so the idea is that, in an English language dub, she could use rhyming slang to achieve the same thing.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:51 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:In the Japanese version, Mari speaks English to keep Shinji from understanding her phone call, so the idea is that, in an English language dub, she could use rhyming slang to achieve the same thing.

Ah that makes sense now there are some other cool accents Mari could use to throw Shinji off in that scene. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyyT2jmVPAk&ab_channel=Anglophenia
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:23 am

She should've spoken Klingon.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:33 pm

View Original PostCybermat47 wrote:She should've spoken Klingon.

Klingon is a great choice
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Or elvish.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:48 pm

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Enough of that please. Topic.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Elvish, at least, is on topic:

View Original PostReichu wrote:In the Japanese version, Mari speaks English to keep Shinji from understanding her phone call, so the idea is that, in an English language dub, she could use rhyming slang to achieve the same thing.

Elvish is a suitably British secret language, being the invention of Tolkien. Of course, as well as Shinji, the audience won't understand it either - but that's true of most rhyming slang these days (and maybe English for the Japanese audience).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”