How Evangelion Gets Away With Being Terrible

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: How Evangelion Gets Away With Being Terrible

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:12 pm

Joseki wrote:A single explanation can generate hundreds of interpretations. Human interactions are a fixed value of 0 and 1,they can be every value in between and can be read in many ways.
Maybe I should have used "extensively documented" instead of "fully explained" to better explain what I wanted to say.

Okay, I can see where you're coming from here. But I still think some things are left largely unexplained, as well.

Joseki wrote:I wasn't arguing about your problems with Shikinami, I was simply using her as an example.

Yeah, sorry, I knew this actually. I'll go back and edit my post to make it more clear.

Joseki wrote:However now I'm curious about the "shallow re-imagining of someone else (who need not be named)" part. Who are you talking about?

Asuka Langley Soryu.
People seem to not like it when she's brought up in comparison, because she's a different character from a different work.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:02 pm

The thing that irks me the most about NTE is that Anno still hasn't provided a sufficient backup for his rationale of it even existing. When his mission statement for the entire project basically shits on all anime that came out between 1997 and 2006 and says that no one has made an anime "newer" than Eva, he hasn't really delivered a product with these three films so far that really proves that NTE is a better-made or more revolutionary product than all of those shows in that timespan.

It's full on Anno Langley Soryu ego.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:29 pm

It exists to fund non-Eva studio khara projects. Everything else is just a bonus.
Avatar: "That's right. I'm a gay robot." (David 8 image by Junseo)
Crying Man
(Or, How Dr. Katsuragi Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft. Chapter 10: Idle Hands released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:33 pm

^ I cannot wait for this. The Dragon Dentist is supposedly coming out to Blu-ray soon. Remaking Eva is a solid plan for these future endeavors. I think it's important to realize that Anno's statements speak to Khara's existence as a whole, and not to Eva in particular. As far as start-up studios go, Khara's doing remarkably well in this area.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:The thing that irks me the most about NTE is that Anno still hasn't provided a sufficient backup for his rationale of it even existing. When his mission statement for the entire project basically shits on all anime that came out between 1997 and 2006 and says that no one has made an anime "newer" than Eva, he hasn't really delivered a product with these three films so far that really proves that NTE is a better-made or more revolutionary product than all of those shows in that timespan.

It's full on Anno Langley Soryu ego.

I don't think Anno specifies TV show anime specifically in his opening statements for NTE, but, assuming that he was referring to shows, what mainstream TV anime do you think were just as good if not better than NGE?

Cowboy Bebop was pretty hot, but it's popularity seems perpetuated only in markets foreign to Japan. Eva remained popular throughout without any new official motion-picture installments since 1997. Other shows, kist Serial Experiments Lain and Ghost Hound, and Kino's Journey, were also quite intriguing. Black Lagoon remains one of my favorite shows. But I'm not sure what their impact was like in Japan specifically. These are just shows that gained traction in the States that I also so happen to like.

Focusing on movie, Mamoru Hosoda's filmography is pretty good throughout. Again, not sure how big he is in Japan, though. I don't think Anno is meaning to diss Miyazaki movies in his statement, but I do know that the cultural reaction to Miyazaki movies is one of the few things I've noticed being as consistently popular as Eva in its country of origin, while also maintaining an extremely high standard of quality.

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:23 pm

The argument of "why create X" is always the laziest argument to make.

NTE exists because Hideaki Anno felt a need & desire to make it. That's all the reason you need to create anything. What he said about the films back in 2006 matter little in the long run. Whether it was mere hype - which it 100% was - or genuine it was how he felt about the works at that point but may not be how he feels about them now. I'm sure if you had the opportunity to ask him that very same question every day for eternity he would give you a different answer every day of the week. In the end what it comes down to is Anno as artist felt the desire to do so and someone was willing to fund such a creation. Creation doesn't need rationale. It just comes and if you're lucky you'll get the chance to make it. In the end providing "rationale" is pointless because in the end the rationale is different for each viewer depending on what they themselves bring to it.

If you feel "NTE has no reason to exist" that's a perfectly valid feeling but it doesn't make it a truth. There's someone out there who feels the original NGE has no valid reason for existing and that too is a perfectly valid feeling regarding the series. Doesn't make it the truth. All art is essential. All art is also meaningless. It really depends on what the viewer brings with them through personal experience.

Anno doesn't have to provide a rationale for why the NTE films exist. He clearly felt the need to do them and thus made them. And if it really was all for "just the money" - something it could very well have been at the very start of things when NTE was just an idea on a paper napkin - it would have been very easy to rush out four movies in a year or two for profit. They haven't. They've taken their time.

The people making NTE feel there's a perfectly valid reason for said films existing. That's reason enough.

For me, I view the new films existing as a way for the writer/director to respond to the thesis he made in greatest work THROUGH re-creating said work. That's how I view the films and provides with them a perfect & fascinatingly fresh rationale for existing. If someone argues to the contrary - NTE is pointless- I may be able to see where they're coming from and will engage in said argument but they'll need to be pretty persuasive to get me to think to the contrary.

NTE has as much of a reason to exist as NGE does.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”