[YOUTUBE Q REVIEW] Oh boy this dude

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: [YOUTUBE Q REVIEW] Oh boy this dude

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:19 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Reupload: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cl3i56CFpk

Wow, took the time to watch it all and now i want those 40 minutes of my life back. Lot of the complaints were either answered or alluded to in the film or previous ones, it's like the film is part of a larger narrative that is incomplete so it raising questions without answering them isn't a huge deal.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:50 am

View Original PostSettie wrote:Wow, took the time to watch it all and now i want those 40 minutes of my life back. Lot of the complaints were either answered or alluded to in the film or previous ones, it's like the film is part of a larger narrative that is incomplete so it raising questions without answering them isn't a huge deal.

I believe his video was posted on here before, to much criticism from this forum. I still strongly advocate for some of the questions he brings, "Why not just throw the collar away after taking it off Shinji?" "Why didn't Asuka try approaching Shinji rationally in Lilith's Chamber instead of trying to fucking beat him down?" "Why does Shinji follow Kaworu completely up until the plot demands he doesn't?" Questions that have been asked to death here so there's no point in trying to resurrect tired arguments. The rest are questions he brings up that can easily be defended by the fact that we're still missing one more movie, but I wouldn't hold my breath that 3.0+1.0 is actually going to answer all of them.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:09 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I believe his video was posted on here before, to much criticism from this forum. I still strongly advocate for some of the questions he brings, "Why not just throw the collar away after taking it off Shinji?" "Why didn't Asuka try approaching Shinji rationally in Lilith's Chamber instead of trying to fucking beat him down?" "Why does Shinji follow Kaworu completely up until the plot demands he doesn't?" Questions that have been asked to death here so there's no point in trying to resurrect tired arguments.

And because those questions already have their answers :
- "Why not just throw the collar away after taking it off Shinji?" : a failsafe in case something goes wrong and EVA-13 has to be hard-reset (and something wrong DID happen), and if you want to be cynical (like me), it's also an excellent way to guilt-trip Shinji into following Kaworu's plan.
- "Why didn't Asuka try approaching Shinji rationally in Lilith's Chamber instead of trying to fucking beat him down?" : she was angry, and she's know to act impulsively and downright stupidly when angry. Add to that the stress of the stakes, and here you have it.
- "Why does Shinji follow Kaworu completely up until the plot demands he doesn't?" : the problem when you push a boy in the middle of a mental breakdown to follow you is that he can become very unpredictable if something goes wrong, such as becoming completely delusional. Especially if the cause of said mental breakdown was you telling him that he killed most of the planet by accident and that the survivors hate him for that and then offer him a plan to repair everything.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:19 pm

An important theme with Kaworu is that he always chooses his own fate, and his death is always for Shinji's sake. In NGE, because it would not be possible for Angels and Lilin to coexist, and because Kaworu believed Shinji was worthy of living, he chooses to die in his place, allowing Shinji a future. In Q, because the choker was Shinji's burden should an Eva awaken, Kaworu chooses to take on that burden and thus the responsibility for Shinji's sins, and by doing so dies in his place, allowing Shinji a future.

However, NTE!Kaworu is also a two-faced serpent with an agenda. He uses sneaky tactics to manipulate Shinji emotionally, and steer him toward pulling the spears from Lilith's corpse. Taking on the choker was an intentional symbolic act to gain Shinji's trust, and it worked. In fact, it might have been the primary reason Shinji changed his mind at all. It's possible he could have simply thrown it away, but that would not have had the same effect on Shinji, and may have even caused Shinji to question why Kaworu didn't do that sooner. By taking the choker himself, Kaworu assures himself leverage over Shinji's emotions, such as guilt and trust. Like Gendo, Kaworu plays a dangerous game. Kaworu never guessed that things would go wrong and that the choker would activate, but he also didn't anticipate the spear change. Things inevitably did go wrong, and Kaworu does end up dying for Shinji's sins. He may have been able to deactivate the choker during 4I, but he had already lost at that point, and would probably die along with everybody else in the Impact; I think his own personal attachment to Shinji had him choose against allowing the false impact* to be completed, and to instead give Shinji another chance at living. Keikaku doori. :emogendo:

* false impact: not Seele/Kaworu's version of the Impact.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:26 pm

Kaworu takes the collar because the film is super allegorical, unlike the rest of the franchise. Character motivations stop making sense in this movie at times. It definitely doesn't have the "real life" feel Eva used to hsve. Of course it would make sense for Kaworu to not place the thing on himself, but it symbolizes him taking Shinji's burden.
In an earlier line he even references the Choker as being the literal punishment Shinji received.
I don't see any ulterior motives either. It could be, but I think it's more in the realm of speculation. I think regardless of how right or wrong he was in what he did, he did it sincerely. Since film 1 he is set up as wanting to make Shinji happy.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:12 pm

Also, the collar turned bright red and beeped when someone wasn't wearing it. Something tells me that was supposed to suggest that the collar can sense when it's not being worn and would relay that information to someone with a detonator. (Misato.) In order to stop that supposed outgoing signal while keeping the collar off of Shinji, Kaworu would have to wear the collar himself. So he did.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:42 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Reupload: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cl3i56CFpk

Wow this is one pissed off reviewer and it kind of had me laughing. :devil:
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”