Did Evangelion really run out of budget?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Did Evangelion really run out of budget?

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:54 pm

Anime, even the good stuff, is designed to its core to be a cheap pulp fiction product. If a budget is overblown, it's probably easier to get another budget quickly for those projects than it would be for most other projects. TV Tokyo and Sega probably would have shelled out without too much of a thought given simply because whatever money that was needed wasn't going to be an impressive amount.

Hell, Watanabe said that Cowboy Bebop had its entire funding pulled from Bandai after Episode 4 due to content issues. Watanabe shopped the project around and got another patron in very little time simply because, financially speaking, Japanese TV animation is a very low-risk investment to a lot of companies. The show didn't skip a beat until IRL violence caused the show to take a pause.

TheCarkolum
Tunniel

Re: Did Evangelion really run out of budget?

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks gwen for your thread. I see for the stuff you guys send that production scheduling was the problem number 1. Problem number 2 seems to be money, at least for me. I mean, animators in NGE were hardly getting paid and the truth is behind every production problem there is a money problem involved. If more animators were paid well maybe the scheduling wouldn't have been so bad...
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”