Eva character heights

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Dima
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:19 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Are you saying that Fuyutsuki isn't that tall?

Well yes, he certainly isn't considered that tall. He is tall but right in the limit of be considered tall. He looks really tall to us because the rest of the cast (with exception Kaji and maybe Gendo) is average/short, as it should be since we are talking about a Japanese cast and in Japan the average height is 1.72 for men and 1.58 for women.

In general, relatively tall can be considered someone with/or over 1.75 and tall someone with over/or 1.80 height.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:40 pm

Except what we know of Misato places her at 163 centimeters (or 5'3 and a half inches) in height. Judging her height versus both Gendo and Fuyutsuki, the more likely estimate is that they are at least six feet tall, and thus taller than the average Japanese man (which makes sense, given that they are taller than the other men in the same line-ups).

Remember, they aren't designed to the Japanese average, to emphasize their authority: they tower over everyone.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:41 pm

Let's just say the heights are unclear. Here are two useful pictures, with scales on - but sadly they don't agree. So if the Japanese themselves don't really know the exact heights, who are we to tell them?

Eva cast with height scales -  SPOILER: Show
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Kaworu starts to prepare Shinji for dual-piloting (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:08 pm

Man, I don't even know why this is a point of discussion. We know Misato's stated height, and we have a height comparison of all the cast in official materials, so what's left to discuss?

Also, I'm really unclear as to why a height chart from the new movies is being used in this thread, since we know the characters have different heights in those films than they did in NGE. Using such a chart here is misleading at best.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Arcadia's legacy
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:11 pm

That and we all remember the heights of the EVA's themselves differing greatly in NGE. Who's to say that these same animation errors cant also apply to the characters?
Last edited by Arcadia's legacy on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come

Sicarius VI
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:11 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Maybe you are right, except one thing tho.

Tall?

Really?

Where you responding to me? It's been almost a year since I made that post, and I forgot I had actually made it.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:14 pm

merged from elsewhere to a more on-topic thread.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sicarius VI
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Whoops my bad.

Got pretty confused.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

elcruzado
Embryo

Re: Eva character heights

•      
  •      

Postby elcruzado » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:38 am

Perhaps the Eva pilots are so short because they were born after the Second Impact. In the chaos that followed, I'm sure they didn't get proper nutrition, which stunted their growth. Average Japanese male height in the 1700s was like 5'1 anyways.

(I apologize for the necropost. I first read this thread like 4 years ago when I first watched Eva. I recently rewatched the series and this dawned on me, so I decided to finally make a Evageeks account.)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:31 am

Or perhaps it's just that they are, y'know, children.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Kaworu starts to prepare Shinji for dual-piloting (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Cybermat47
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:13 am

I haven't seen this much discussion about height since people started speculating about Godzilla: Monster Planet.
My fanfics:
Evangelion 2.9: You Will (Not) Survive
Godzilla VS Evangelion: Who Will Know?

"I have to count my blessings, I have to learn my lessons, my fate is in the balance, I must go on believing!"
- Fate by Shirō Sagisu

ChaddyManPrime
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:47 am

All the kids are midgets, I .
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”