Reviving the Fan-Geeks Commentary Project?

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Reviving the Fan-Geeks Commentary Project?

•      
  •      

Postby zeaven » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:44 am

Hey everyone, it's been *cough* a while since I last posted here (something like, oh, 9 years or so). Not that that's germane to the topic, but oh well.

I'm wondering why the Fan-Geeks Commentary Project (http://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC) was never completed, or at least made more progress? It seems like something a ton of people (myself included) would be interested in, considering how deeply we dive into this show. Did something replace it, or did it just fall into inactivity?
Underneath it all, we feel so small
The heavens fall, but still we crawl...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Reviving the Fan-Geeks Commentary Project?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:24 am

Looking behind the scenes at what's been going on, there's been no activity for almost 2 years now. Episode 7 was put up on the wiki, but there was never a thread made for it -- we managed to collectively drop the ball there.

The bottleneck has been getting all the script translations for later episodes (not the obvious dialog, but of all the other handwritten text from the storyboards).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:31 am

A bit of a self-imposed bottleneck. Having those translated is nice, but not actually necessary in any way for commenting on the episodes.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby zeaven » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:37 am

It looks like all(?) of the episodes have pages up, they're just not linked from the main page. If you replace the episode number in the URL you can get to all(?) of them.

Is there something we can do to get this ball rolling again? I'm neck-deep in my NGE obsession again and I'd love to maybe channel it into something useful.
Underneath it all, we feel so small
The heavens fall, but still we crawl...

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:46 pm

I don't think transcripts a bad idea if we can put in our own words when watching the sub. Besides...isn't that that the entire point of a transcript? To copy what you hear and what you see down to a loose script format?

Besides that, the original poster does have point about letting other EvaGeeks share their thoughts and analysis on the episodes and EoE. It's worth thinking about.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:00 am

Being able to read through the episodes like a comic would be nice. Someone needs to finish the FGC template so I can browse through the episodes.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:56 pm

View Original Postzeaven wrote:Is there something we can do to get this ball rolling again? I'm neck-deep in my NGE obsession again and I'd love to maybe channel it into something useful.

No idea if you're still neck-deep (or even maybe armpit-deep) in your obsession. I figured a later response was better than none.

Despite being responsible for this project's inception, I eventually handed it off to others because I couldn't deal with the pressures any longer. As we can see, this resulted in even fewer episodes being completed in a span of more years than when I'd been running things. (A testament to the power of mental illness in getting nerdy stuff accomplished...?) Having been so utterly distanced from the project that I did not even provide comments for episodes 5 and 6, I can pretty much say that I have almost zero bloody idea what's going on here and what's taking so long and what one would have to do to get things going again. However, hunting down one or more of the following individuals would be the place I would start:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=264
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=153
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4163

I'm sorry I can't be a greater help. I'd love to be pouring myself into Eva projects right now, like cleaning up the wiki and writing articles and so forth, but, alas, these all-consuming impulses must be sidelined for items of greater personal importance until a later time. Even if you can't get the commentary ball rolling again, the amount of work needed on our wiki is utterly mind-boggling, so don't discount the possibility of being clean-up crew there! :wink:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:27 am

If there's any desire to reinvigorate the commentary, consider me very very interested. Just spent a great deal of time re-examining and re-evaluating Episode 22 as the basis of my MA thesis, so if there's a need for supplementary materials there (commentary, storyboard translations, etc.) I'd be more than happy to contribute the resources I've compiled over the past few years. I'll send the appropriate messages to the aforementioned members but just wanted to get something on the forum proper as well.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:08 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:Just spent a great deal of time re-examining and re-evaluating Episode 22 as the basis of my MA thesis, so if there's a need for supplementary materials there (commentary, storyboard translations, etc.) I'd be more than happy to contribute the resources I've compiled over the past few years. I'll send the appropriate messages to the aforementioned members but just wanted to get something on the forum proper as well.

If I have to be honest, pouring out my heart on my personal analysis of Episode 22 is a huge reason why I want this project to be revived...if only I got up to fixing up the wiki...
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:33 am

I too, would like it to be revived, and am interested in contributing.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:53 am

It looks like we're long overdue to have someone officially take over for thewayneiac. I'll try to get ahold of him and see if I can't at least help facilitate this process.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:36 pm

I'm posting this here as a reminder in case someone who subscribed to this thread missed the news. Episode 07 has finally been opened to comments.

The Commentary thread:
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/19131/Commentary-Episode-07/

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”