Star Wars

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Star Wars

Postby Glor » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:34 pm

If only there was another writer's strike. Those were the days.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:11 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Personally? I can't wait for the Hollywood Blockbuster bubble to pop.

Me too, but I don't see happening in the next future. The market satured but there are still a lot of cows to milk out there, and with China rising as a huge and fresh market I can see a huge influx of cows to balance the oversaturation.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:50 pm

Meaning in film is for you to find, not guys in suits in a room to deliver.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:04 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Meaning in film is for you to find, not guys in suits in a room to deliver.

What, you mean I have to pay attention to those cheap films that don't even have a multi-million dollar budget? No thanks, I'd rather complain about the pretty films intended for mass audiences. :emogendo:
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:36 am

View Original PostGlor wrote:If only there was another writer's strike. Those were the days.

I looked this up out of curiosity as I remember the one back in 2001 and they came very close to having one again this year but managed to strike a deal in May to stop it happening.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/02/hollywood-ending-writers-call-off-strike-cliffhanger-studio-deal-writers-guild-of-america
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:31 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:What, you mean I have to pay attention to those cheap films that don't even have a multi-million dollar budget? No thanks, I'd rather complain about the pretty films intended for mass audiences. :emogendo:

While I agree with this, there can be an argument made on how Disney Star Wars isn't in the same genre as Gen 1 Star Wars. Gen 1 was a trilogy of adventure fantasy films with some action mixed into it. (The concept of the Force plunges the whole franchise so far into fantasy that anything different feels narratively inconsistent for some fans.) Gen 3 Star Wars are all action films with some Star Wars stickers applied to them for brand recognition. This isn't to say that they're bad films. Rather, they're just not in the same genre as the other films, which is probably why Gen 1 fans are distancing themselves from the franchise yet again.

My rant on why TFA is a less-than-stellar film (pun intended) is a somewhat separate discussion than why fans distance themselves. Sure, on a Venn diagram the discussions might overlap a bit, but OG fans put up with some truly God-awful holiday specials, animated and live-action spin-offs, and most of the inconsistent non-Zahn "Expanded Universe" books. As bad as they were, they were still fantasy stories like OG Star Wars was, so the hate isn't as pronounced.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:59 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:What, you mean I have to pay attention to those cheap films that don't even have a multi-million dollar budget? No thanks, I'd rather complain about the pretty films intended for mass audiences. :emogendo:

I know what you're saying, but it's all symptomatic to the ongoing decline of the West and its media (also everything else). Business adapts to the market, while also forcing its own agenda. Maybe this topic will eventually need its own thread, too meta? :uhh:

Anyway, can't wait for more Star Wars with even more marvelesque quipping.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:40 pm

A Writer's Strike would really wield some interesting & debilitating hits to the film industry now that the "Cinematic Universe" thing has become the centerpiece of the business. An incredibly shitty sequel can sink a franchise, but an incredibly shitty movie can damage your Cinematic Universe. I mean Marvel's real claim to fame in the Hollywood industry with the MCU is now over 15 films in they haven't made many great movies (I'd argue only 1 or 2 are truly solid) but they've never made a truly unwatchable piece of shit. Even the worst - The Incredible Hulk, Thor 2 - are passable.

Some of the big movies that got made during 2007-2008 Writer's Strike were - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra & Quantum of Solace. Hollywood makes bad movies all the time but those are especially egregious because they all started shooting without a script and not a line or word could be changed once shooting began. I guess if a Writer's Strike was to happen now the big thing studios would do is try to put things on hold until it's over. Some would handle this better - i.e. Marvel really does know what every movie they're making until 2025 is - while some would handle it poorly - Warner Brothers doesn't know what the DC movie they're bringing out in three months is yet.

I figure if a strike were to happen Marvel would be able to skip a year for once. I'm sure going a whole calendar year without releasing a film would yield record high anticipation for the next film. Shrugs.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:10 pm

Iron Man 3 is a great movie and the West has been declining for 2400 years.

DC screwed the pooch and should abandon continuity.

Marvel is willing to get weird. The DCCU is afraid of weird and wants to be popular with jocks. The DC universe is full of wild and weird and crazy, but do they have the balls to put something as strange as Ego the Living Planet into a tentpole blockbuster? No.

edit: I'm confused as hell and thought this was the superhero thread.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 pm

Chuckman wrote:edit: I'm confused as hell and thought this was the superhero thread.

I agree with everything you just said, but I think because of the uberfuhrer Disney owning both SWU and the MCU, they sort of bled together.

Although, come to think of it, would Disney have the big brass ones to do a crossover of thier two main franchises? Random thought, moving on.

A writer's strike would certainly cripple the industry (or put it right and pop that ridiculous bubble), as the last go around ruined so many good shows, which had to either improvise, or get cancelled. Other than the MCU, and maybe some of the Star Wars movies, every other studio would have issues (barring films already in production, or that have been partially written). It would certainly be interesting to see if that happened, but considering how quickly they settled things with the writers in May, the studios know they'd be absolutely fucked if the writer's went to the picket lines again. They know they have nothing.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:20 am

I don't know but an Guardians trailer ending with the iconic breathing mmmmm
the prophecy is true

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:42 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:edit: I'm confused as hell and thought this was the superhero thread.

It helps that it's all part of the same shit sandwich.

I watched Rogue One.

It was okay, it felt far more like star wars, but it still suffers from its blatant fanservice elements, the claim that this was more of a war film than the previous films, space opera, isn't really saying much, it's all still so very one sided, to the point where Darth Vader (whose voice is rather lacking in this film) is literally resident on some hellscape evil planet like Doctor Evil's long lost relative. Maybe it's because I'm used to seeing media like Gundam and Macross where both sides, while still obviously with some markers as to who they are, are still both portrayed decently, by the end of the film I felt more sorrow for the DeathTroopers who had to contend with their own incompetent brethren (they actually hit things) and the oh so incompetent good guys. If I was gonna grade it, I'd stick it between RoTJ and RoTS, which isn't bad.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:09 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:to the point where Darth Vader (whose voice is rather lacking in this film) is literally resident on some hellscape evil planet like Doctor Evil's long lost relative.

That's Mustafar. The same hellscape evil planet where Anakin "died" and Vader was born in ROTS. I suppose he stays there to remind himself of his greatest failure and fuel his dark side rage.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:53 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:That's Mustafar. The same hellscape evil planet where Anakin "died" and Vader was born in ROTS. I suppose he stays there to remind himself of his greatest failure and fuel his dark side rage.

Interesting that they tied that in, but I wouldn't have thought it was Mustafar, maybe if it was more mountainous and choked with dark clouds, that reference went past me then. That's still seems over the top though, having your arms and legs cut off, stuck permanently on life support and having your children lost and your wife dead seems like more than enough to keep the rage marching onward.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:33 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:That's Mustafar. The same hellscape evil planet where Anakin "died" and Vader was born in ROTS. I suppose he stays there to remind himself of his greatest failure and fuel his dark side rage.

I liked that scene both because you get to see Vader sleeping in the tank as I got the impression that was what he was doing before he gets woken up. I think he was there also because that would be the last place anyone would think to look for him because as people say he got his limbs burnt off and lost there so you wouldn't think he'd ever want to be there, its a clever psychological trick hide in plain sight and thus be ignored.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:24 pm

I think Vader was meditating within the bacta tank. The novelization describes the tank as the one place Vader can truly feel peace or comfort, since his suit is painful and encumbering.

Fun fact: Mustafar is the only planet in the film that doesn't receive text specifying which planet it is. Even planets we visit for a full two minutes have their names plastered on the sceen, like Wobani (Obi Wan). Mustafar is kept intentionally unidentified.
- Sachi

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Just read on Twitter:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:35 pm

You don't let the man who made The Book of Henry direct your super blockbuster. No matter how many garbage Jurassic World's he's directing (of which Trevorrow had 0% to do with the films success, people were going to go see the first Jurassic Park movie in over a decade no matter who did it)

Either way, got some inklings through the grapevine this was going to happen a few weeks ago. Also heard that Disney really likes what Rian Johnson has been doing with Episode VIII: The Last Jedi - they're expecting a genuine critical darling as well as an obvious commercial one - & they're hoping they can get him to stick around and handle Episode IX for them as well. Nothing's official. If Johnson does take the gig expect Episode IX to also move from a May 2019 release to December 2019.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:39 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Just read on Twitter:

Well at least I understand that disturbance in the force I felt earlier today.

So, it looks like Episode IX might have a chance to be good without that putz directing.
Last edited by DarkBluePhoenix on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:44 pm

Holy shit. This is potentially a positive development.

KK should just keep Johnson on for narrative cohesion. Plus, the guy's a talented director.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Film and Video”