What would the EVA characters be like now?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

C.T.1290
Sachiel
Age: 26
Posts: 228
Joined: Apr 22, 2017
Gender: Male

What would the EVA characters be like now?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:27 pm

This thought has been in my head for a little while, so here goes.

As well all know, the setting in Evangelion takes place in the year 2015, which was approximately two years ago. Meaning that the characters such as Shinji, Asuka, and Rei would be sixteen now.

So what changes would have been made to the said characters in the two year time skip? What improvements do you think they have made? And what lessons did they learned from their experiences and Instrumentality?

And yes, I know that Rei hadn't returned from Instrumentality like Shinji and Asuka did. However, I like to think that there may be a possibility as it is implied in some post EOE fan fictions.
"Who dares summon the master of masters, the deliverer of darkness, the Shogun of sorrow, Aku!?"-Aku

"KONO DIO DA!"-Dio

StrokeMeGoat
Adam
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 89
Joined: Jan 30, 2016
Location: Indiana
Gender: Male

Re: What would the EVA characters be like now?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby StrokeMeGoat » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Even though he's actually 22, Satou from Welcome to the NHK always seemed to be a spitting image of Shinji. I mean, just look at this and tell me you don't see a dysfunctional, hikikomori Shinji:

Image

C.T.1290
Sachiel
Age: 26
Posts: 228
Joined: Apr 22, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: What would the EVA characters be like now?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:07 am

View Original PostStrokeMeGoat wrote:Even though he's actually 22, Satou from Welcome to the NHK always seemed to be a spitting image of Shinji. I mean, just look at this and tell me you don't see a dysfunctional, hikikomori Shinji:

Image

Huh. He does have that Shinji look to him. I wonder if he has the same personality, or some characters who treated him in the similar fashion as Shinji.
"Who dares summon the master of masters, the deliverer of darkness, the Shogun of sorrow, Aku!?"-Aku

"KONO DIO DA!"-Dio

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 9879
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

Re: What would the EVA characters be like now?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:12 am

If you haven't seen Welcome to the NHK, do yourself a favor and check it out. It's a brilliant slice of life about a college-age shut-in who believes everything is a conspiracy against him. Like Shinji, he struggles with social ambiguity and living in a world with other people. I should rewatch it soon myself.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Shinji Ikari Expy
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 7
Joined: Aug 27, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: What would the EVA characters be like now?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shinji Ikari Expy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:10 pm

The adult characters have certain parallels with Shinji that could give us a few hints about his development. Gendo's last words in EoE hint that Shinji will grow up to be like him if he doesn't stop closing himself off from other people. Kaji is kind of role model for Shinji -- a well-adjusted adult Shinji might be like him, minus the spying and deceit. Misato represents another possibility, as she also has deep-rooted family issues and hides it under a veneer of cheerfulness.

EoE and EoTV both imply that Shinji undergoes a lot of personal growth and realizes his need to get past his hedgehog's dilemma. LOL if he went through all that to become a basketcase like Sato from Welcome to the NHK.

I'm not sure about Asuka. I've seen a really interesting theory that Ritsuko is like an adult Asuka. There are definite parallels, but it is still hard to imagine hot-headed and cocky Asuka growing up to be cool and collected (on the surface, at least) Ritsuko.

Rei's fully realized form is Lilith, and we've already seen it. Under normal circumstances, she'd be like an identical twin of Yui Ikari because they share the same genetic material.

ErgoProxy
Adam
User avatar
Age: 39
Posts: 66
Joined: Jul 09, 2016
Location: Kraków, Poland
Gender: Male

Re: What would the EVA characters be like now?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ErgoProxy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Now this is a strong suggestion that Evaverse works on different principle than our reality, where brain is plastic enough to override genetical determinism and allow mind to be shaped by events around and not by hardware only.

Anyway. I must agree with Kaworu that Shinji's heart is „fragile like glass”, what, with Japanese politeness stripped away, means that he's a one big ball of crybabiness and he must, uhm... desensitise (?) himself somehow to be able to proceed further. I keep putting my faith in this kid though; alas, Asuka with her „humours” is the last person who could act therapeutically towards him. If Evangelion is a story about „moving forward, even if a little”, then please, make Rei coming back to kick the redhead b*tch back into oblivion. Or let it be Kaworu to teach her some manners at least.

BTW, I can vaguely remember some words of (I think) Mr. Anno, that Kaworu is a perfect-model Shinji without all his flaws and drawbacks.
In my spirit lies my faith
Stronger than love and with me it will be
For always

- Mike Wyzgowski & Sagisu Shiro

silvermoonlight
Leliel
Leliel
User avatar
Posts: 715
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: What would the EVA characters be like now?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:01 pm

View Original PostErgoProxy wrote:make Rei coming back to kick the redhead b*tch back into oblivion.


That's kind of mean since Asuka just a damaged child and Rei kicking her would not make it right. Plus as an adult I think Asuka would feel deep egret over how she behaved as a teenager and would try to put things right with Rei and Shinji.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

ErgoProxy
Adam
User avatar
Age: 39
Posts: 66
Joined: Jul 09, 2016
Location: Kraków, Poland
Gender: Male

Re: What would the EVA characters be like now?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ErgoProxy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:36 pm

silvermoonlight wrote:That's kind of mean

It is.

silvermoonlight wrote:That's kind of mean since Asuka just a damaged child and Rei kicking her would not make it right.

She can cope with harsh reality better then he is shown to do ever. If she is given more, she should be demanded more. She is, let's not forget it, a prodigy. Shinji was only „lucky” enough to be born in the right family to get into the spotlight.

silvermoonlight wrote:Plus as an adult I think Asuka would feel deep egret over how she behaved as a teenager and would try to put things right with Rei and Shinji.

Probably, but I think she would completely wreck Shinji in the process of becoming mature enough to actually help him. And I suspect he would supply her with tons of reasons (excuses aside) she could use as justifications for doing this. Even after Instrumentality.

All rrright: send each of them to different planet. This should solve the issue. :tongue:
In my spirit lies my faith
Stronger than love and with me it will be
For always

- Mike Wyzgowski & Sagisu Shiro

silvermoonlight
Leliel
Leliel
User avatar
Posts: 715
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: What would the EVA characters be like now?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:20 pm

View Original PostErgoProxy wrote:She can cope with harsh reality better then he is shown to do ever. If she is given more, she should be demanded more. She is, let's not forget it, a prodigy. Shinji was only „lucky” enough to be born in the right family to get into the spotlight.


No offence intended but just because you have a high IQ does not mean you can handle serious emotional trauma, the reality is it ruins people from all walks of life and though they may heal emotionally the cracks are always there in some form. Also from what I've heard people who have gone through this can grow to become deeply compassionate as they get older because they realize what its like to suffer in this way. Also depression does not go away once the cause of the issues are gone and it can effect people during there whole lives but it can be overcome with time and talking through the issues.

Probably, but I think she would completely wreck Shinji in the process of becoming mature enough to actually help him. And I suspect he would supply her with tons of reasons (excuses aside) she could use as justifications for doing this. Even after Instrumentality.


Yes but she could also see how she was wrong in how she behaved after instrumentality some people believe that the reason she touches Shinji's face in that way is to show him compassion and to show him that she understands him in some way. Now I'm not saying they should be together as a couple after EOE but I think they could come to an understanding and work past some of there issues and find some form of middle ground and have some form of friendship. ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

ErgoProxy
Adam
User avatar
Age: 39
Posts: 66
Joined: Jul 09, 2016
Location: Kraków, Poland
Gender: Male

Re: What would the EVA characters be like now?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ErgoProxy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:14 pm

No offence taken, as I think IQ is much overrated (because I always fail at those tests :tongue:). What I meant when I said she's a prodigy was that she should be able to stop for a while and ponder, come to some hypothetical solutions, prioritize them and try one after another. This should work, unless of course, she really is a b*tch with low EQ, which takes the top over her reasoning and she likes it that way. Or unless Shinji locks himself in the „no because no” state of mind.

But speaking of depression and trauma, and as a mentally troubled person myself, I seriously think life is a quest for people who dare to shape it with their own hands, no matter the circumstances. Or, so to say, to climb up the mountain using those climbing mounts which fate has prepared for them on the wall. And yes, some people will eventually find no mounts and they will fall. But blame the Lord for creating such Universe and not another.

And shoot me dead if I know why she caresses him. All I think is important in „One more final” is that moment when she lowers her eye at him. This frame is worth a thousand words and I can feel, with all the background info that Mr. Anno and his crew supplied us with, it's much like „The Unforgiven” condensed in few seconds. Yes, that western movie directed by Clint Eastwood.
In my spirit lies my faith
Stronger than love and with me it will be
For always

- Mike Wyzgowski & Sagisu Shiro

silvermoonlight
Leliel
Leliel
User avatar
Posts: 715
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: What would the EVA characters be like now?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:58 pm

View Original PostErgoProxy wrote:No offence taken, as I think IQ is much overrated (because I always fail at those tests :tongue:). What I meant when I said she's a prodigy was that she should be able to stop for a while and ponder, come to some hypothetical solutions, prioritize them and try one after another. This should work, unless of course, she really is a b*tch with low EQ, which takes the top over her reasoning and she likes it that way. Or unless Shinji locks himself in the „no because no” state of mind.

But speaking of depression and trauma, and as a mentally troubled person myself, I seriously think life is a quest for people who dare to shape it with their own hands, no matter the circumstances. Or, so to say, to climb up the mountain using those climbing mounts which fate has prepared for them on the wall. And yes, some people will eventually find no mounts and they will fall. But blame the Lord for creating such Universe and not another.

And shoot me dead if I know why she caresses him. All I think is important in „One more final” is that moment when she lowers her eye at him. This frame is worth a thousand words and I can feel, with all the background info that Mr. Anno and his crew supplied us with, it's much like „The Unforgiven” condensed in few seconds. Yes, that western movie directed by Clint Eastwood.


Fair points and I understand where your coming from now I do think the reason Asuka lashes out at people is for fear of being hurt much like Shinji although he reverts in to himself and I think she's gotten in to the ideal that bullying gives her a sense of power now child Asuka I can somewhat forgive for this because kids do stupid things but adult Asuka I could not forgive for the same. As I would expect her to know better and to grow to become more rational and as you say sit and think about things. I do think the pace of the world and how fast things are happening is the reason the kids don't always get time to think on it because it's one battle to next with real pressure.

I'm not going to argue that the final is a bleak as hell and the final scene is annoying because your basically given the start of a story or journey but you never see the end or what may come from it. You just see Asuka and Shinji being rotten to each other and then given like a hope point and to me its not enough they should have given the fans a spin off Manga after EOE and shown what the possibilities were and its why so many fanfiction writers want to fill in the gap because there's nothing more annoying then being stuck down with a final that leaves you with more questions than answers.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

ErgoProxy
Adam
User avatar
Age: 39
Posts: 66
Joined: Jul 09, 2016
Location: Kraków, Poland
Gender: Male

Re: What would the EVA characters be like now?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ErgoProxy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:23 pm

Well I can agree that this is the reason for such abundance of Eva fanfictions. Perhaps I should write one... in my mother tongue of course, or with graceful, patient help of some English native speaker. And it's not that I don't have any material already. It's just too personal and thus incomprehensible for any audience but myself.

It would be a good excuse to rewatch the old installment though, to see how it could be complemented to become twice as long. When I watched it for the first time, I thought the TV station aborted the airing at the interlude or something. And that EoE was a brave attempt to complete the story despite the managment requests to cut down the project already and move on to the next one. Hence I see the final scene as, uhm... neither pinned nor patched. *)

But, all in all, we have topics to discuss and write about, so it's not like the show in such shape has no positive impact on us, who gathered here.

And before you hit me in the head for wild offtoping... sorry, I can barely imagine how the characters would develop on their own. I even want not to know that. I'd rather to focus on making them as much happy and full of hope as possible, given the circumstances, but then (1) this wouldn't be Eva anymore and (2) they would probably want to kill me for that, altogether with the fandom, since (3) I really like Mari, up to the point I made her a relative to the man working in the Pendulum Room – the Prime Minister of Japan, if I remember correctly.
_______________
*) Yes, I know idioms shouldn't be translated literally. Blame Google if you did not get it. :tongue:
In my spirit lies my faith
Stronger than love and with me it will be
For always

- Mike Wyzgowski & Sagisu Shiro

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 152
Joined: Jun 07, 2017

Re: What would the EVA characters be like now?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TheCarkolum » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:04 pm

I am not sure if the characters in NGE could cope with their lifes two more years, to be honest. If we take out EoE, everybody is in deep crap by the episode 24. Gendo and Rei, for example, just live for one goal. Once you lose it, there's no point for them to live anymore. Asuka probably would end up killing yourself. Shinji and Asuka... well, maybe they could make it through in two more years ... somehow. Fuyutsuki, same as Gendo. Ritsuko would try to murder Gendo. SEELE would cease to exist, etcetera.
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde



"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 60
Posts: 19817
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: What would the EVA characters be like now?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:04 am

The answers really depend on what's been going on for the past 18 months.

One thing I can see is that Shinji would be taller. Either in the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei sense on account of his world-wide post-3I popularity, or by having a growth spurt (based on how his father was unusually tall).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
Avatar: Ritsu-chan


Return to “Evangelion Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest