Is it hard to move out for the first time?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Is it hard to move out for the first time?

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:28 pm

I graduated university, and now I'm planning on starting to move out in the coming months. I know it's a big process that entails finding a job and moving into my own place. Basically entering real life.
I am heavily inclined to moving out of the city, same country, but different city (from Toronto to Vancouver). Does anyone have any real life advice about this whole thing? I know it'll be hard, but it's time for me to move on with my life, so I've made up my mind. Did anyone have to survive a big move? If so, any advice or tips would be appreciated. Sometimes little things you learn from personal experience make solid advice that people never think about. Thanks!

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Is it hard to move out for the first time?

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:47 pm

Well, congrats on the graduation.
Was the university far from home? Did you live in a student residence? If "yes", you've at least gotten a taster of the "moving out" experience.
Find a job/secure an income first, obviously. No point moving out some place and draining the bank account.
Pack your essentials into one suitcase. Doesn't fit? It ain't essential.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Nope, I lived at home - that's why I'm excited (and a little frightened) to move out. Currently job searching like crazy, I totally agree on securing employment prior to the move. Just one suitcase, huh.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:07 am

I got into a lucky situation where I'm at now but it's not a situation I want to stay in. Basically my best friend's dad still owns a house in the same block as my mom does despite living in a completely different state, and he wanted me to stay at the house to take care of it so it at least has somebody in there so no one breaks in and does shady shit when the owner isn't there. All he asks in the way of rent is just what I use as far as utilities and for the upkeep of the house. It's a great soft moving out situation since I take baby steps towards everything in life. Only thing is that my brother and his friend also live with me, and as far as roommates go they leave a lot to be desired.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:16 am

Whoops. I meant "luggage case".
Point is- try to pack light. Got a huge DVD/game/book collection? That crap isn't coming with you.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:43 am

Do you have to get rid of anything that can't come immediately with you, or can your fam provide temporary storage?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:03 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Do you have to get rid of anything that can't come immediately with you, or can your fam provide temporary storage?

I don't got much; clothes will come with me, and so will my computer. I'll leave my table and a few shelves here, my dad will probably make an office out of the room. And my blu ray/manga collection (which isn't even that big) will go into the basement for storage. I hope to sell (pawn?) a lot of games/anime/manga that I don't need anymore - I'll only keep the stuff I really like (and eventually bring it over). Otherwise yeah, I wanna leave this city and my old life behind - not much to bring with me anyways, I never was a hoarder thankfully ^_^

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:23 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Whoops. I meant "luggage case".
Point is- try to pack light. Got a huge DVD/game/book collection? That crap isn't coming with you.

Speak for yourself, my ridiculous movie collection is being relocated to my new apartment even if I have to use the pantry to fit some of it.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”