[Film] Prometheus + Sequels

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: [Film] Prometheus + Sequels

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 25, 2017 7:08 pm

SPOILER: Show
How does that make it impossible? What assumption is there to have that David killed off ALL the Engineers? For a species that we see has a history of sending their people off across the galaxy seeding other planets it seems presumptuous to assume ALL the Engineers are in that one city at that exact moment. For a movie that heavily features colonists everyone immediately assumes that one city on that one planet was it. That was ALL the Engineers. For all we know that too was just a colony. Either way, in an interview with John Logan - who has/is writing a draft of the sequel - for BMD/Drafthouse's special Alien issue he was asked if we'd see any Engineers in the next entry (if it happens) & his response was "Well, (Answering) that would be giving you a clue for what I'm writing now." hinting at the return of the Engineers since it'd be far simpler to say "Nah, they're done". Seems silly to jump to the conclusion they're all dead. A lone Engineer (or even a ship of Engineers) out there in space comes home to a massacred city of their people & then pursues the Covenant/David & in the final act an Engineer steals some eggs, gets Facehugged & crashes on LV-426 seems like a very natural progression of the story Scott is telling over these (possibly) three films. Just like how mad eugenicist David creating the Alien is a logical progression from Prometheus.
Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE.

And the mural is just a goof that comes along with telling sequels over long distances of time. Things change in the creative process that can't be foreseen. Nothing is set in stone. Characters get recast (The Hulk in Marvel), imaginary worlds undergo drastic revisions (Alfonso Cuaron basically rebuild everything about Harry Potter when he took over & nerdrage was nigh) & stories evolve. It would be hypocritical to attack Scott's two prequels for a mural seen in one shot when Rebuild (I really have to write an essay about how similar these two new-sagas INCLUDING how little they care about superfluous side characters & super strict continuity, things both are routinely attached for) spends two movies actively building up Eva Mark 6 as this ALL-IMPORTANT thing & then just throws it aside almost entirely. Not necessarily because Anno was pulling a bait & switch but because he realized the story he wanted to tell didn't need Mark 6, The vision the filmmakers had evolved from one film to the next because the films in both franchises are not being made by a committee of TV minded producers who are trained in episodic stories. They're being made by artists who have their own weird/wonderful interests & fetishes. You either roll with the punches & go with the story or you nitpick about how thing X in this film doesn't correspond to something that occurs three films down the line. Like how unimaginative Aliens bros are saying Scott has erased the Queen Alien which is nonsense, a key part in the creation of life would be giving said life the option to procreate, hence David creates a Queen at some point... or after settling on Origae-6 things get out of David's control - continuing the circle these films have shown where the life you create destroys you, the Engineers are killed by their biological weapons/humans, humans are killed by the AI they create & the AI is destroyed by the PERFECT ORGANISM (to quote another AI in the original Alien, makes sense a robot would love something created by a robot).

I think Scott was telling the film he was focused on that moment. When/if it comes time to tie things into the original Alien it wouldn't take much to do so.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:06 am

Forgot this was locked! Think it's safe to open it back up again.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:19 pm

GP, I think the complaint isn't so much inconsistency as it is that Scott et. al. threw in a bunch of interesting ideas and discarded all of those in the next film.

I think the notion of the Engineers worshipping the concept of the Alien creature and trying to perfect it or something as a religious rite is vastly more interesting than David being a psychopath. I could see those two threads working alongside each other, but Scott chose to drop one and turn David from an interestingly amoral mechanical man into a moustache twirling villain who wakes up and says "what evil shall I do today?" for petty/no motivation.

Humans must be annihilated by giant greasy rape bugs, because an old man made me get tea one time. The woman who was kind and motherly towards me and towards whom I had an apparent interest doesn't count.

I'd rather actually have watched Shaw and David alone in a spaceship for x years or whatever and their relationship with each other as she repairs him and they both go insane alone and he finally snaps and begins experimenting on her, then delivers the Engineers the religious rapture they've been waiting for, having completed their project on the way.

Basically: There is a shard of a good movie in Alien Covenant. It's a five minute flashback in the middle of Alien: The Force Awakens.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:23 am

So who's got their Covenant BD? Got mine from Target so I could have the Creatures booklet. Finally being able to SEE the movie (theater I went to fucked up the projection bad) was nice. I'm quite aware of the film's shortcomings, but there's still a lot about it for me to like. The featurette Advent was a nice addition, though like The Crossing it really has no business being something apart from the movie. Also, what I imagined with regard to what happened to Shaw and why was way more satisfying and layered than what we got. But since it was so unimportant that it was relegated to bonus material, I guess there's no harm in head canon here. :wink:

Any of you love the detailed set dressing of David's workshop (done by TWO guys!) as much as I do? One of my absolute favorite parts of the movie. In appreciation, I've thrown together the first of two imgur galleries looking at the text on the drawings, which the artists (Dane Hallett and Mark Patton) wrote themselves. The BD gallery of David's drawings unfortunately shortchanged us here, and often omits the text that is supposed to be there (sometimes replacing it with complete nonsense for no discernible reason), but all the same, what we DO have contains a lot of fun Easter eggs. Lots of Alien, anatomical, and biological nerdery on display -- I simply adore it! Still working on the second batch; some real gems in there.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:00 pm

Got my Best Buy Steelbook. It's a beaut!

And yes, I LOOOOOOVEE that they included the artwork in the special features!
Alien: Covenant. Easily my favorite movie of the summer if not 2017 to date.

Return to “Film and Video”