"You know you're obsessed with NGE when" thread

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: "You know you're obsessed with NGE when" thread

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:01 pm

^
1 time. (Please don't banish me!)

When you read 70 pages of this thread.
When you go to great lengths to psychoanalyze every character, and spend months thinking about them to understand them. (And posting write-ups.)
When you evangelize (appropriate wording, no?) Evangelion to people irl and online.
When you ask a (~80-year-old) piano player to play Fly Me to the Moon, and you are in absolute heaven. And then you TELL HIM where it's from, and get him to learn Thanatos as well.
When this is actually accurate about you:
SPOILER: Show
Unless you're like me, and you literally try to watch almost every frame to get an idea of the characters' exact facial expressions, and you analyze every single line of dialogue. And you spread the whole thing over a few weeks/a month, just to let everything sink in. :)

(Not that I really knew anything about the really metaphysical stuff... But at least I had a decent sense of character interactions and personalities.)

I've been turning NGE over in my head for months, and I still am not entirely sure of everything going on. It's nice to have a show, that you care about enough to think about it so much. Plenty of fiction is deep, and esoteric, but not worth investigating. NGE, is the zenith of all fiction.

When you compare every work of fiction to Eva.
When you find Eva references everywhere when watching anything involving Gainax alumni (TTGL, Kill La Kill, etc.).
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Jibe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jibe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:57 am

Way too obsessed:
Last edited by Jibe on Tue May 29, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:53 pm

View Original Postlily liver wrote:^yes :shifty:
she's really nice and a huge eva geek like the rest of us.

Can you PLEASE PM me the address you wrote to her at? :)
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

tism
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tism » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Taking the Japanese language proficiency test soon? NGE is there for you.

https://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/10/14/ ... vangelion/

:D :D

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:25 am

I think you're officially obsessed with NGE if you've been an EvaGeeks member for more than a month & you still keep posting.

*Raises hand*

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:39 am

when you vaguely reference nge in a track you're making.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

ArfenosPorrows
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ArfenosPorrows » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:34 pm

when you try to turn your own room into Rei's depressing one, also, when you try to speak german casually to be cool like Asuka. (I actually did that stuff when I first watched NGE when I was little)
LCL Füllung. Anfang der Bewegung. Anfang des Nervenanschlusses. Auslöses von Links-kleidung. Synchro-start.
-Amen.

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:00 am

When you incorporate "Baka" into normal wholly english conversations with your friends.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:30 pm

When you name a class of stealth destroyers in a scifi novel after the characters
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:22 pm

I spent an entire year drafting, researching, and writing a sci-fi horror story (that I absolutely intend to turn into an animated film using 80s animation techniques) that heavily draws imagery, ideas, and character archetypes from Neon Genesis and End of, to the point where the penultimate scene is just straight up Instrumentality
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Isn't that called plagiarism?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Well, that’s how Shakespeare developed many of his plays - and he seems to have got away with it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:15 pm

Well, copyright laws were a bit different back then.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Just as well, really. Who knows what we're missing out on nowadays as a result of their stultifying effect on creativity!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:05 pm

Quite the opposite. If there weren't laws protecting intellectual property, people would just steal each other's ideas and not come up with new ideas of their own. Copyright laws promote creativity!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:18 am

Creativity in copyright claims, at any rate:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42580523

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:36 pm

...you accidentally type "lilith" istead of "limit" :facepalm:
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:41 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:Quite the opposite. If there weren't laws protecting intellectual property, people would just steal each other's ideas and not come up with new ideas of their own. Copyright laws promote creativity!

I don't see how. So-called "derivative works" are no less likely to be lacking in creativity and new ideas than so-called "original works". Stifling IP laws that don't allow the public domain to grow do force people to exploit every possibility that hasn't yet been exploited, yes, but this is only a positive in a very narrow, short-term sense. It arbitrarily devalues the way storytelling, et al., worked before companies and estates started squatting on things for generations -- wherein memes were collectively owned by a culture and freely transformed by those within it -- and it dooms every subsequent generation to an ever-smaller piece of the pie. If the public domain is never allowed to grow, eventually you won't be able to create anything (that isn't completely generic and bland) without risk of someone suing you because it's too similar to their IP. It's basic math. When everyone is afraid of legal action being taken against them, and you're unable to risk publishing anything even slightly unique unless you can hire a special lawyer to make sure you're unsueable -- yeah, let's see how much copyright laws promote creativity then.

These laws were originally created for the little guy, but Disney and friends have turned them into a mockery of their original intent. Your post is music to their ears: convince people that what's good for the Mouse is good for everyone.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:01 pm

When you use your free time editing the evageeks wiki because you find it fun.

El Squibbonator wrote:Quite the opposite. If there weren't laws protecting intellectual property, people would just steal each other's ideas and not come up with new ideas of their own. Copyright laws promote creativity!

DBZA is a derivative work, yet its far more interesting than the original IMHO. This idea also undercuts the entire concept of fanfiction where no one would be allowed to do anything with anyone's IP. Reichu's explanation pretty much hit this nail on the head. Lossening the IP laws would allow more creativity within genres so we're not just stuck with never ending series of movies for the rest of time.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

neongenesisvandelay
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby neongenesisvandelay » Thu May 03, 2018 2:06 am

You find yourself frequently listening to Beethoven
"You like Huey Lewis and the News?"

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”