Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:57 pm

FUCK YES
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:42 pm

^^ Lol

Never read Spawn, the 1997 movie I found to actually be decent aside from the mother of dear god horrible CGI for everything but his transformation & Cape.
I keep hearing that the animated series is great & better then the comics.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:47 pm

The old Spawn movie was ahead of its time.

I remember an interview McFarlane did claiming that they really had to hamstring the movie to get a PG-13 rating. Apparently the satanic imagery was too much for the ratings board.

That and Martin Sheen hamming it up out of sheer disdain.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:09 am

hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:45 am

^ I mean, that doesn't really come as a shock to me.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:16 am

I try not to put Faith in click-bait Articles these days.

But giving them the benefit of a doubt I mean what can you expect?

They were originally going to make it a darker more Grim movie until Snyder was pretty much forced to change it at gunpoint by the studio. They were rewriting the script as they were filming which never bodes well for a movie. And rather than commit to the themes and the story they had in mind in the movie this is supposed to be a direct continuation of. We're going to get a tonally dissonant mess of conflicting themes, visuals, and ideas that will make EVERYONE mad regardless of how they felt about BVS and Squad simply because WB and DC are waaaaaay too reactionary to fan backlash and criticism.

So now rather than being the setup for the next 10 plus years of DC movies, Warner Brothers going to release in odd, tonally dissonant, emotionally inauthentic, apologetic Justice League movie, hope it's better received than bvs was. And then make the next five or so Solo movies rise or fall in their own merits before they take another crack at in Universe cohesion with the now far off and no longer a direct sequel Justice League 2.

Only for then to then reboot everything with fucking FLASHPOINT.

The bigger question on my mind is when this movie is poorly-received who will the Fanboys and the critics blame?

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the fans have change of mind and suddenly hear how it would have been at least decent if it weren't from Joss Wheadon's reshoots and the studio rewriting the movie as they were filming it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to the point where famous critics basically say something on the lines of
"Yeah, it would have still been a bleak, depressing violent Zack Snyder DC movie but that at least it would have been a more coherent one that committed to the things they brought up in the last movie."

And I'll all be like: "Wait, what? Since when are you guys on Zack side?"

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:06 pm

A bleak depressing Justice League movie is a bad idea regardless.
the prophecy is true

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:06 pm

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/early-cut-justice-league-deemed-unwatchable-substantial-changes-made/

Apperantly Justice league sucks

SPOILER: Show

It wouldn't surprise me if it was indeed the case, BvS was straight up boring with terrible pacing and Suicide Squad was a complete editing mess from start to finish.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Remember all that bad news surrounding wonder woman? All the click-bait saying it was a mess? That it sucked? We all know how that turned out didn't we?

At this point all I'm saying is this, just give it the benefit of a doubt.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Well Wonder Woman isn't a Zack Snyder movie, that's what doesn't inspire me confidence.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:23 pm

He co-wrote the script to that with Patti and got a credit for it.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:45 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Well Wonder Woman isn't a Zack Snyder movie, that's what doesn't inspire me confidence.

Joss Whedon's also involved, which, given his involvement with the D.C. universe in the past (rejected Wonder Woman script), isn't that encouraging either.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:57 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:He co-wrote the script to that with Patti and got a credit for it.

I want to credit writers. I think Hollywood views writers as mostly disposable and they aren't reared fairly or given the weight they're due in the production process. Frankly I feel like there's a bit of snobbery about it, as if the script isn't that important when a bad script can sink a film and a good script can elevate a lesser director.

I am a writer after all, so I'm going to advocate for that.

However, Jenkins deserves the credit for Wonder Woman. The script is neither good nor great and whether it came from her or Snyder, I think the biggest mistake in the movie is that there actually is an Aries and Diana actually fights him. It would be more true to its own themes if Diana discovers that the real villain is the evil people do. The flaw with WW is that it tries to have it both ways and have Diana realize that the good in people is worth fighting for even if they're equally responsible for the bad, and give her a villain to punch. They also could have done more with the Aries concept than they did; it had a clear class consciousness message to it but the movie drops the ball in that sense by keeping Diana not only special in origin but noble in birth. I digress.

Wonder Woman was so good as it was becaus of Jenkins' direction. If Snyder had directed it, the film would be a male-gazey disaster. He's weird about women. BVS is weirdly fixated on women.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:47 pm

You can't keep a good bastard down.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/87928 ... X7DWMa6.99

David Tennant is returning to play Kilgrave in Jessica Jones season 2.

How they're playing to do it is up in the air. But please for the love of all that is holy, make it a clone, or a son, or a hallucination, or only a brief cameo in a flashback. I really hope they don't bring them back as the main antagonist, Kilgrave is a villain that needs to die and stay dead.

I really hope we don't have a case of "Joker Immunity" happening here.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:24 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:^^ Lol

Never read Spawn, the 1997 movie I found to actually be decent aside from the mother of dear god horrible CGI for everything but his transformation & Cape.
I keep hearing that the animated series is great & better then the comics.

The 1997 movie sucked because they made it pg13 you just can't do this with spawns source material as the comics have some really dark stuff in that it shows Spawn killing a pedofile because he finds a child body in a trash bag not to mention in one he sleeps with an angel (That's in walking corpse form) and there are some real stalkish moments where he's looking in on his family and is really jealous that his old friend is with his wife and daughter and its not in any way painted as heroic like in superman, so if the new movie sticks to this tone and keeps it really dark and R rated the whole thing could be really good. Sadly I've never seen the animated series though so I can't say if it better as I only read the comics.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:39 am

People praIse the animated series up and down but to me it's mopey and slow and often feels like a summary of the comics without ebough context to follow what's going on.
the prophecy is true

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:53 pm

Apparently Martin Scorsese is onboard to produce an origin story for the Joker set in the 80s. If anybody can make a crime film with a psychological touch, it's Martin fucking Scorsese. Count me in.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:06 am

What the actual what? How on Earth did that happen? And why couldn't it have happened sooner?

Wait, why is that happening after WB said that they were through with "Auteur directors" in their superhero movies?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:00 pm

I'd be curious to see if Scorsese is actually involved with the production.

Unless it's something he's directing Scorsese is a very hands off producer. More often than not his NAME is just used to help sell the project. The movie Free Fire loudly proclaimed on every trailer & poster that it was PRODUCED BY MARTIN SCORSESE when in reality his involvement with the film was he met Ben Wheatley for lunch, they chatted about the film & then Scorsese got to see a cut before anyone else and give a few notes. He's not on set every day guiding the film in tone, story or character.

But it should net him a very nice paycheck. Since he did SILENCE for free it's a nice way to pad those bank accounts.

I'm sure the Scorsese name will be on every poster and every trailer but it's a Todd Phillips movie first & foremost. He's been itching to become a serious filmmaker & at least visually he's got the chops (The Hangover movies are very well shot, especially in this era of flat looking comedies) so there's positive things to expect.

On the much brighter side I think WB is in the right mindset to try spin-off DC films. The whole Cinematic Universe thing is great for business but it does lock movies down to a pre-set tone & look. Plus ultimately no matter how far out there the film tries to be it still has to leave things in a sort of status quo so the next movie can carry on the story. A spin-off series of films where each movie can be its own stand alone thing would be very welcome now that Hollywood is shrinking big budget storytelling down to 5 or 6 Expanded Universes.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:54 pm

I hope it's unrelated to the DCCU, is a smash hit, is very good, and the higher ups decide: Let's not compete with Marvel blow for bow and make a "CU". Let's adapt good stories and tell good stories without worrying too much about continuity.

Yea and the lord said: It was good.

Just spin off a splinter elseworld DCCU from Wonder Woman where hers is the first movie and the others didn't happen.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Film and Video”