Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Justacrazyguy
Pilot
Pilot

Re: Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:57 am

Nier: Automata: Before anything else, I should say I haven't played any of the previous installments in the series and I don't plan to unless they release a version with the original language(yes, I know Drakengard 3 has the Japanese voices has DLC). I'm not playing with those godawful English dubs. How anyone has even selected the English language in Automata is beyond me.

Slight rant on dubs aside: The game is great. The soundtrack is fantastic, the world is beautiful and the story. Oh boy, I haven't been this tricked by a story in a video game since Spec Ops: The line.
I was surprised by how much the side quests tie in with the main story. They're still mostly fetch quest in structure, but they always have some interesting twist at the conclusion. Even the weapons tie in with the story.

Another lovely feature are the shooting segments. I've always been a fan of shot em ups and side scrollers(even though I'm terrible at em) so the fact that you switch between these different types of game play smoothly is fantastic.

Is there even anything I can say about the main story without massive spoilers?

SPOILER: Show
Every single ending is an emotional roller coaster, mostly thanks to the fantastic characters and their voice actors. 9S screams at ending D are music to my ears. Also, they use Joji Nakata in a minor role at the end and he's still great despite the small amount of lines. How does he do it?
There's a great sense of payoff at ending E. After all the suffering you've been through in the other endings, to have an happy conclusion feels great. Never have I been so happy to defeat a Marketing Division.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Giji Shinka
Donor
Donor

Re: Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:31 pm

Got Just cause 3 on PSN for free and I think it's okay.

I usually avoid open world / sandbox games, because they usually lack intertwined level design / have boring missions / hold your hand way too much.

This game also has those "problems", but the grapling hook and few other gadgets have managed to keep me interested in the game a lot longer than your average open world title, so points to you Avalanche Studios.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”