Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 3926
Joined: Jul 26, 2012
Location: Vinculum Gate
Gender: Male

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:28 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:The latest patch to DS3 introduced an intermittent stutter to my experience of the game. Just now, it stuttered right at the instant of an enemy attack, causing it to kill me, and then I died on my way back to collect those souls, resulting in the total loss of all of them.

I'm early in the game, so almost any amount of souls I could lose is paltry in the long run, but wow does that irritate me. I kept saying at the screen, "Are you fucking kidding me?" to vent, because those souls I lost forever? I had just retrieved them from a very hot zone that I kept dying repeatedly in and then barely making it back to before finally successfully killing everyone in there and making it out with those souls. The death where I dropped them happened on my way back to a bonfire.


Homeward Bone?

It is weird that the patch is killing the game for you, since it seems to have improved performance for most people.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 8484
Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Location: Chicagoland area
Gender: Male

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:15 am

I discovered that due to Covenant of Champions, what I defeated in my last few sessions of DS2 was the equivalent, not of NG Fume Knight and NG+ Throne guardians and Nashandra and Aldia (due to bonfire ascetic to revive Nashandra), but of NG+ Fume Knight and NG+2 Throne guardians and Nashandra and Aldia... with an NG character.

:headbang:

And because of that experience, DS3 is weird for me. Nothing hits as hard as it did in DS2 (as one would expect). In my experience of DS2, a single hit from a boss usually took off most of my health, but in DS3 so far, even bosses are dealing typically less than half, which has really changed my experience of the game.

Surprisingly, the game doesn't feel any easier overall. That's probably because I measure failure as getting hit, rather than dying. All dying in more hits changes is how long I can stay out and about at a stretch and how long a "learning session" (fighting an enemy I haven't mastered yet) can be, which in turn makes that learning curve faster (and faster still because I feel safer experimenting) which is great for someone who doesn't want to spend 170+ hours on a single playthrough EVER AGAIN.

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Homeward Bone?

I wasn't all that far from the bonfire, and had forgotten that I hadn't killed that enemy on that particular run.
System Administrator, Thread Surgeon General, Default Complaint Receptacle
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

riffraff11235
Seed
Seed
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 3942
Joined: Jul 19, 2012
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Gender: Male

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:01 am

I've tried starting Demon's Souls (PS3) a couple of times so far but couldn't ever beat the first stage. I need to cultivate some more patience.

I own Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition on Steam, and I plan to buy Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the Firs Sin before the summer sale runs out.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 3319
Joined: May 20, 2014
Gender: Female

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:15 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:I've tried starting Demon's Souls (PS3) a couple of times so far but couldn't ever beat the first stage. I need to cultivate some more patience.

I own Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition on Steam, and I plan to buy Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the Firs Sin before the summer sale runs out.

The first section of demons souls is probably the hardest part of the game besides 4-2 because you dont have any way to recover to human form outside of killing the boss and the cling ring isnt till 3/4ths through the level.
After you get that and the crescent falchion though the game becomes a lot easier.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

dontaskme
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 9
Joined: Jun 26, 2016
Location: over there

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby dontaskme » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:54 pm

currently doing a sl1 run on dark souls 1. chose the warrior but i'm stuck on artorias. any tips?

We Are Nice To You
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 6
Joined: Jun 30, 2016
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby We Are Nice To You » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:25 am

I've been interested in this series for the longest time because I like action RPGs and the atmosphere reminds me of survival horror games, but I just haven't had anything that's been able to run the games probably. I can never get a half decent PC. I'm thinking of maybe tracking down some of the King's Field or Shadow Tower games, since the Souls games are apparently supposed to be like spiritual successors to them and they're all made by From Soft. Biggest difference seems to be these games in first person instead of third.

I feel like it's worth mentioning that From released a program called Sword of Moonlight back in 2000, which is specifically made to let the user create King's Field games. Last I checked, the games you can made with them can work on modern Windows OSes. And there's an active community making games with it. Might be worth looking into.

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 3926
Joined: Jul 26, 2012
Location: Vinculum Gate
Gender: Male

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:20 am

View Original PostWe Are Nice To You wrote:I've been interested in this series for the longest time because I like action RPGs and the atmosphere reminds me of survival horror games, but I just haven't had anything that's been able to run the games probably. I can never get a half decent PC. I'm thinking of maybe tracking down some of the King's Field or Shadow Tower games, since the Souls games are apparently supposed to be like spiritual successors to them and they're all made by From Soft. Biggest difference seems to be these games in first person instead of third.

I feel like it's worth mentioning that From released a program called Sword of Moonlight back in 2000, which is specifically made to let the user create King's Field games. Last I checked, the games you can made with them can work on modern Windows OSes. And there's an active community making games with it. Might be worth looking into.


Wasn't King's Field for the PS1?

I think most 'modern' PCs wouldn't have much problem playing DS2, at least, since that's the Souls game which seems to be the best optimised for lower-end machines. My fairly cruddy 4-year-old laptop can run it fairly smoothly, although I can't say the same for DS1.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Giji Shinka
Donor
Donor
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 2616
Joined: Jan 26, 2013
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:25 pm

My quick thoughts on DS3:
-Liked the PvE, but didn't like how linear the progression was compared to DS1 and 2. (In this game, the progression is always Lothric castle > Settlement > Farron woods etc.)

-Covenants feel under developed (Blues and Blades do the exact same thing and have exact same rewards for some reason, plus, it's pointless to wear Rosaria's covenant badge, because it doesn't give any extra rewards or benefits)

-Lack of functional poise makes heavy armors and vitality stat useless (Demon's souls all over again)

-Short/longsword, dark sword etc. are way too useful compared to heavy weapons.

-New game plus is lame, no new enemy placements like in DS2.

-Combat system is great, but I prefer the way it was Bloodborne and DS2.

-I think the game should have focused on more interesting things like Londor, the profaned flame and the angelic faith (Though, dlc might explore these), instead of DS1 locations, like Anor londo.

-I dislike how the game prioritizes hosts and phantoms, read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4ox0lg/i_think_i_found_the_real_reason_dark_souls_3/

-
Avatar: "Anime-lehti" logo

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 3926
Joined: Jul 26, 2012
Location: Vinculum Gate
Gender: Male

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:03 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:My quick thoughts on DS3:
-Liked the PvE, but didn't like how linear the progression was compared to DS1 and 2. (In this game, the progression is always Lothric castle > Settlement > Farron woods etc.)

-Covenants feel under developed (Blues and Blades do the exact same thing and have exact same rewards for some reason, plus, it's pointless to wear Rosaria's covenant badge, because it doesn't give any extra rewards or benefits)


There is another path, but it involves fighting a tough boss with a low-level character and then following the traditional route anyway. So yeah, the game is much more linear than every other Souls game despite the scale and complexity of individual levels.

I feel like the Darkmoons were really underdeveloped in the game. They're difficult to find and join, and they're the same as the Blue Sentinels so there's no real reason to join unless you really want their covenant gear that badly.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Sicarius VI
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 19
Posts: 1135
Joined: Aug 12, 2014
Location: United States
Gender: Male

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sicarius VI » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:36 pm

Hmm, Forgot this was here...

Well since my last post I've gone and bought and beaten the game a few times. I have around 90 hours on a level 250 character that is halfway through NG+3.

Must say that I wish there were bonfire asectics in the game, I'd make for a great way to farm enemies. Also getting proof of concord keep for Blades is way to difficult compared to the other covenants. The Silver Knights have an astonishingly low drop rate and I maybe get summoned every 2 hours at best. Getting Pale tougnes and Swordgrass by killing enemies is much easier, I don't know why From makes drop rates for the Proofs so rare.

I've been looking at Ray Dimitri's videos and I've replicated a few of the boss fights. Magic brought down the Nameless King and Soul of Cinder in less than a minute. Preparing for a one hit = death build is pretty annoying, but it gets you to learn all the bosses moves. I've cycled through three builds so far, Strength dealing with the FUGS, which didn't need as heavy of a nerf as it received, Luck with Anri's straitsword which recently received a nerf. And currently a Int/Faith build with scholar's stick, which also received a nerf.

Don't know why From has to intend to keep nerfing everything instead of bringing other slightly used weapons on par with the better ones.

My mage glass cannon is going great, except between bosses that have magic resist like Aldrich and Consumed King. I might be planning on getting everything upto 60, but I haven't decided yet, that would take a lot of work in an already 90+ hr save file.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Age: 17
Posts: 253
Joined: Jul 31, 2016
Gender: Male

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CommanderFish » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:57 pm

I'm playing through Bloodborne for my first time right now, and I love it to pieces. But for some reason I'm really enamored with just one subtle feature: all the blood that covers my character. I can't tell you why, but getting my Hunter's clothes soaked in blood, turning the sheath of Ludwig's Holy Blade from black to red; it really satisfies me. Sometimes when I'm playing, I elect to not return to the Hunter's Dream just so I can get more blood on me. In other words, this game has given me literal bloodlust.

So, is... is that normal? Because I sort of feel like a sociopath saying all that. Do other players experience a similar feeling, or am I all alone with this strange infatuation?
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 3319
Joined: May 20, 2014
Gender: Female

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:25 pm

No being covered in the blood is really satisfying even if you are perfectly sane, it's just the best.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Age: 17
Posts: 253
Joined: Jul 31, 2016
Gender: Male

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CommanderFish » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:40 pm

Rosenakahara wrote:No being covered in the blood is really satisfying even if you are perfectly sane, it's just the best.

Okay, thank god; I'm not crazy. It really IS the best.

Thanks for clearing my conscience.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Age: 17
Posts: 253
Joined: Jul 31, 2016
Gender: Male

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CommanderFish » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:21 pm

I'm such a goddamn idiot.

Bloodborne  SPOILER: Show
So I got three out of four of the umbilical cords I needed to get the "secret ending" (which I had heard contains a secret boss). However, I am evidently mentally retarded. I saw that they were items, and I wondered if I need to use them as items in order to get this secret ending (in hindsight: fucking duh, or why else would they be items?) I did look this up and I must have not seen anything (or my retard eyes were just incapable of seeing that particular detail), because I beat Gehrman and then the game just ended (and on top of that I saw what I assume would have been the final boss if I wasn't a total idiot). Then NG+ immediately starts (honestly, I think this is a little ridiculous no matter what), and I can't go back to get that ending that I had worked the whole game towards.
:deskbang:
I still loved the game, yeah. Actually, I would say more than love. It was my first experience with a FromSoft game and I would honestly probably put it right below my favorite game of all time. Maybe I'll put my thoughts about it here more thoroughly in the future, maybe I won't--I don't know. I... know it's just one boss, really; but it's the final boss, for God's sake. Out of any other that I could've missed... and any stupider way I could have missed them...
I do at least feel happy knowing the final boss I did get was excellent.
But still... goddamnit man.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 3926
Joined: Jul 26, 2012
Location: Vinculum Gate
Gender: Male

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:34 pm

^You could go back to play through it again. That's the fun part of FromSoft games, you can keep plowing into NG+ with all the stuff you collected the first time. If you haven't done or bought the Old Hunters DLC there's also that.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Age: 17
Posts: 253
Joined: Jul 31, 2016
Gender: Male

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CommanderFish » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:34 pm

^Funny that you say that; I'm actually well on my way through a second playthrough as we speak! (And yes, I mean a new character, not just NG+; although I do plan on revisiting my first character eventually, I was really looking for a new playthrough with different stats/weapons and such). I still absolutely adore the game, no matter how frustrated I get with it sometimes. Gonna make sure not to make the same mistake again, though!

Oh, and if you can't tell by my avatar; I've played through--and loved--The Old Hunters.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 3926
Joined: Jul 26, 2012
Location: Vinculum Gate
Gender: Male

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:59 pm

Finally beat Ornstein and Smough, although I had to swallow my pride and summon a Sunbro (his username was literally Sunbro) to help me out after it became clear that my squishy sorceror build wouldn't last long alone against MC Hammer and Sir Spearsalot, and Solaire's middling-to-terrible AI hindered me more often than it helped.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Justacrazyguy
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 21
Posts: 2259
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
Location: Portugal, Kingdom of Al-Garbh
Gender: Male

Re: Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:35 am

I'm done with Dark Souls.

I've finished Dark Souls 3 and have little to say other than it's more of the same. If you liked the previous installments in the franchise, you'll like this one.The story gets a fittingly epic conclusion. This particular title feels much more like a sequel than Dark Souls 2, which worked well as a standalone experience. It's definitely recommended to play the first Dark Souls before this one. If you played Demons Souls there area a lot of references to it in this title, much more that in the other games.

Interestingly, the reactions within the fan base haven't been all that positive, but I think that in a couple of years, when there's some distance from the original release, people will see that DKS3 is more or less equal in quality to the previous games.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy


Return to “Video Games and Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests