Moments where you hated characters you usually like

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:14 pm

View Original PostSAWgunner wrote:Yeah, and Rei's smile in ep. 6. Not because it did anything negative to the story, just because they drew her so fuck-all ugly.

Probably why they redrew that in Death.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Xacebans
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xacebans » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:18 pm

I feel this way about almost everyone at some point.
Shinji--I love you, dear, but please don't fap to comatose girls and such.
Asuka--Stop being such a bitch! Resolve your problems; don't ignore them because they're going to come back and bite you in the ass!
Misato--Don't try to seduce the fourteen-year-old, Misato. You may be one of my favorite characters, but just...No.
Gendo--Dude, there's a kid in that giant thing, you know.
Ritsuko--Geez, Ritsuko! You're smarter than to think your mother would help you...

There. There is much, much more. But that's it in a nutshell.
TehDonutKing: Break out the booze, sixth-graders, and funny hats, for Xacebans became a true EvaGeek, for checking out Eva-01.
Aiko Heiwa: @Xacebans - Oh baby.
AngelNo13Bardiel: ...good news, Reichu! I think we finally found your long-lost sibling!

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:51 pm

Shinji for most of The End of Evangelion.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Shinji running away. (...) Also, in EoE.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but with military background you mean military training or your parents were like that? And just to comment (even if this might seem stupid or cruel) i didn't really care for humanity by the time of EoE. I'm actually a bit surprised by Shinji deciding for humanity to exist again.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

TheCarkolum
Lilith

Re: Moments where you hated characters you usually like

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Shinji in EoE and Ritsuko for being emo mode because Gendo doesn't give a fuck abouth her (girl, it's Gendo...).
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

silvermoonlight
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:44 pm

Shinji in the hosbital room and not coming to Asuka's aid during the mass eva fight (EOE) Thank god for the Manga.
Asuka calling Shinji a house broken male yeah I get that she has issues with gender rigidity but he's the guy who makes breakfast and cooks for her and cleans and its really disrespectful.
Gendo touching up Rei in EOE to give her Adam made me feel deeply uncomfortable.
Misato flirting with Shinji he's 14 and has mental trauma and its not healthy for him and needed a her to be a mother figure or mentor, I get why Misato does it she wants to feel wanted and desired but trying to gain this though a young boy is not right.
Ristuko killing the tank of Rei's because its so cold blooded and in the manga there a horrifying shot where the Rei's look at the kill switch in terror as if they know what coming which implies there not soulless.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

C.T.1290
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:00 pm

Asuka throughout the entire series, and in Rebuild. She is probably the most dishonorable character in the show with no ounce of respect to others, including those trying to reach out to her. If she can't be nice or repay other people's kindness, then how is it that she is even worthy or deserving of any sympathy? Everything that has happened to her, she brought it upon herself. All of her choices is what led her to her downfall and defeat. I'm not sure if she made any self improvements after Instrumentality, if she even did.

I never even liked Gendo, for everything that he did. I say he had what's coming to him. He, like the members of SEELE, is a man worthy of beheading, or other form of execution. :guillotine:

Then there's the entire crew of the Wunder (except for Sakura and Mari). I know they had their reasons to despise Shinji for what he did. But still, I think there should be hell to pay for them. There are sometimes where I feel like doing this to them.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxL8bVJhXCM&t=23s
A tad extreme, I know. But after watching the third film and piratically feeling like being in Shinji shoes, who doesn't want to something like that to them.
I don't know how the final film will end. But if they don't give Shinji and explanation or make up for how they treated him, Well then, all I can say is that I kinda hope something bad might happen to the crew of the Wunder, namely some people in particular. :devil:
Craab People, Craab People. Taste like crab, talk like people. Craab People, Craab People.

CommanderFish
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:11 pm

^I think you should read the title of the thread more carefully.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

C.T.1290
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:51 pm

In that case, Asuka then. I think her attitude could use some more work. Because maybe then, I might actually like her some more. And maybe even respect her.
Craab People, Craab People. Taste like crab, talk like people. Craab People, Craab People.

imprimatur13
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:17 pm

EoE!Shinji, for the things he did to Asuka. Outside of that, nothin' comes to mind.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:38 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:In that case, Asuka then. I think her attitude could use some more work. Because maybe then, I might actually like her some more. And maybe even respect her.

The thread is about moments you hated characters you normally like. Not characters you thoroughly dislike.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

C.T.1290
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:28 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:The thread is about moments you hated characters you normally like. Not characters you thoroughly dislike.

Well, there is a part of me that actually likes her. It's​ mostly her personality I don't really like.

Cybermat47
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:18 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Well, there is a part of me that actually likes her. It's​ mostly her personality I don't really like.

Surely a character is defined by their personality?
"I have to count my blessings, I have to learn my lessons, my fate is in the balance, I must go on believing!"
- Fate by Shirō Sagisu

TheCarkolum
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:48 am

View Original PostCybermat47 wrote:Surely a character is defined by their personality?

A character is defined by what it does through the show. And bear in mind Asuka does not always do things that matches her real being, her true personality. Her cunt personality can be a little distracting, but I love the character anyways. Don't mind if she is a cunt, it's not like I was perfect and nice all the time... She's not a cunt-and-that's-it.
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

C.T.1290
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:46 am

View Original PostTheCarkolum wrote:A character is defined by what it does through the show. And bear in mind Asuka does not always do things that matches her real being, her true personality. Her cunt personality can be a little distracting, but I love the character anyways. Don't mind if she is a cunt, it's not like I was perfect and nice all the time... She's not a cunt-and-that's-it.

How is it that she isn't? And just what is her true self? Surely, there's a better Asuka beneath that later she puts up for herself?

silvermoonlight
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:59 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:How is it that she isn't? And just what is her true self? Surely, there's a better Asuka beneath that later she puts up for herself?

I think what TheCarkolum may be referring to is what is known as the public face as people normally have a face they show the public which is Asuka's not so nice ego face and her private face which shows after she kisses Shinji and it goes wrong where she's breaking down and vulnerable and going why didn't you hold me? As well as feeling stupid for trying as she's angry at herself for trying to reach out to someone and gain there love because she's deeply conflicted and thinks she doesn't need or possibly doesn't deserve to loved because she knows she not nice to people or possibly not worthy of any love given.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

TheCarkolum
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:37 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I think what TheCarkolum may be referring to what is known as the public face as people normally have a face they show the public which is Asuka's not so nice ego face and her private face which shows after she kisses Shinji and it goes wrong where she breaking down and vulnerable and going why didn't you hold me? As well as feeling stupid for trying as she's angry at herself for trying to reach out to someone and gain there love because she's deeply conflicted and thinks she doesn't need or possibly doesn't deserve to loved because she knows she not nice to people or possibly not worthy of any love given.

Yes, Asuka is full of contradictions. She wants to be alone but she doesn't. She hates everyone but she needs anyone. Her cunt personality is just a cover, I understand her behavior, you know? In a certain way I do because I relate to her. OK, not that she is not OK with being a cunt, only she got used to. Furthermore, she is not always super cunt, sometimes if somebody gets close to her she can be a little nice and funny. Yes, the cunt vibe is still there, but what do we can? She is like that...

Anyways, what I was referring to is don't judge Asuka too soon. Look at the things she does through the series and you'll see her persona is not so one-sided. The actions of a character define her personality.

The Flying Fortress
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Flying Fortress » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:57 am

Gendo: Because I would not mind him having that evil behavior just for ego's sake, but then they fucked up saying that he wanted to join Yui.

Misato: I liked Misato until episode 16, so she slapped Ritsuko, it's such a embarrassing moment, what did she want from Ritsuko?, Save her little boy instead of Eva? , Ritsuko just said the right things, there were risks, Misato always knew this, but made it personal. The same scene in episode 20, again, Misato did not understand Ritsuko's subliminal message and hit her, this time in front of Nerv's employees, these are anti-professional attitudes that make me despise her sometimes.

Fuyutsuky: This guy seems to be aware of everything, even superior to Gendo in the scenery of things, a gentleman who uses all his experience and knowledge, I always thought that Fuyutsuky would have a great outcome, but he was deceived by Yui's bittersweet face as Gendo.

Hyuga: We all like an awkward nerd like Hyuga, but he managed to scratch that image on ep 20, I mean, he compared Misato to Eva Berserk! Hyuga, I can not believe you said that, I just can not. Smarter than that, the worst was the situation totally out of context to say this, but wait ... nerds are like that, they do it! , Hyuga is within your stereotype! I love you Hyuga!

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”