What was/is the purpose of The End of Evangelion?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

What was/is the purpose of The End of Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:05 pm

The obvious reason is "Anno wanted to do an Evangelion movie", I know.

I saw a lot discussions about the purpose of episodes 25 and 26, while the discussions about the movie are mostly about plot points and characters interactions. I've spent the last few days searching for interview about what exactly pushed Anno and the staff to make the movie without finding anything really usefull.

Has Anno ever explained why the movie was made? In more than one interview he said that the original ending was what he wanted, so why another end?

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: What was/is the purpose of The End of Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:01 pm

I think this has always been pretty easy to figure out.

I always got the general impression from his interviews and statements that Anno was "satisfied" with EOTV, not that it was necessarily the one he wanted. There's a big difference in connotation there.

By this point, almost everyone knows that the production schedule towards the end of the series was ridiculously rushed. I'm positive that, although Anno was publicly "satisfied" with EOTV, the wave of popularity that accompanied the ending of the show gave him the opportunity to have the time and resources to execute the climactic JSSDF invasion and Eva Series sequences in AIR25' he had originally planned for EOTV25, as well as being able to make a more "beautiful" version of Instrumentality to end the series, as well as having the opportunity to throw in some scenes to comment on his fanbase (the hospital scene, the thank you/death threat letters).

Also, being able to do a theatrical release would unburden him from TV studio restrictions on what he would be allowed to include. NGE is to Twin Peaks as End of Evangelion is to Fire Walk with Me .
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”