Watching Eva in other languages

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:40 am

For the record, one thing about Spanish dubs: there are normally 2, one for Latin America and one for Spain, given that there are significant differences in pronunciation, intonation, grammar and word meanings across Spanish speaking countries (even among those that share borders)... It's not unusual for some BR and DVDs to have up to 4 different Spanish audio tracks.

Now, I know of 3 variation of Spanish dub: one made in Mexico in 199something that covers only NGE, no movies (very good acting and translation); one made in Spain in 199something that covers NGE+D&R+EoE (also good, but some some expressions and lines change a bit, let alone that I've never heard a credible child voice in Castilian Spanish) and another one made in Mexico in 200something for Animax (a channel I think failed miserably in this country)... That last dub, oh God, where do I begin? They used like 2 or 3 of the original VA's, all the dialog is messed up and/or mistranslated and had lines shortened to sync them... And the new voices, damn... So badly matched (just listen to Kaworu in the link) :facepalm:

Also, according to this they started making a Latin Dub for Rebuild, Shinji and Rei's original VA return (I think that Ritsuko's too)...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:04 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Now, I know of 3 variation of Spanish dub
The ADV disks I own have a Spanish language track -- I think that's the one with the notorious "Anti-Tank Shields" translation.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:23 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The ADV disks I own have a Spanish language track -- I think that's the one with the notorious "Anti-Tank Shields" translation.

The first one translated AT Field as AT "Shield"... No mention of Anti-Tank, however... The second one as ATomic field... The Castilian one left it as AT Field...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Charizard
Embryo

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:47 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Step 1: take Evangelion 3.33

Step 2: put the language in French

Step 3: ear Shinji having the voice of a gruff 30 years-old chain smoker making him sound older than absolutely everyone else in the cast

Step 4: be unable to take any scenes of the movie even remotely seriously

La France!

Doesn't he have the same French voice as Sora from Kingdom Hearts? Imagine how bad it'd be if they continued dubbing the KH games into French and you'd have Sora with that same voice.
My main hobby is dressing up as a 14-year-old girl
Instagram|Cosplay Facebook

mammaluser
Adam

Re: Watching Eva in other languages

•      
  •      

Postby mammaluser » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Hm i've watched the latin dub of EVA (i think it gets to ep. 19 or somewhere around there) and to be honest they're fairly decent, although there are 2 latin dubs, i think, but i've watched one where Asuka sounds normal (because there's one where they gave her a german accent and it's just bad) but 1.11, 2.22 and 3.33 in latin (although for some reason they're very difficult to find and in some mysterious way they've managed to translate those films) they're just overall bad, i prefer the normal dub or hell even the english dub.
"I wish that i could turn back time..."

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:55 am

I've watched the Latin, Galician, Spanish, Catalan, English and Japanese dub. The Latin one is so-so. The Galician is OK (in Galicia they are pretty accurate with the dubbing thing). The Spanish one is actually pretty good, and that is a freaking surprise, because it's not usual (the Rei voice is a little too old, I mean she looks like is 30 years old or something but it gives her an interesting tone). The English one is awful, I mean, GOD. The Japanese one is great, except for the EVA noises, which are all over the place :D :D
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

The Flying Fortress
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The Flying Fortress » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:05 pm

The first time I watched Evangelion was in Brazilian dubbing, comparing with the original in Japanese I found it quite decent until. But this is because the Brazilian dubbing school always has the same names scaled to do animes and other works, you get used to some voices,so there is little diversity of voice actors.

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:39 pm

I've always wanted to see NGE with the German or Chinese dubs, just to increase my vocabulary in those languages. But the quality is not good at all.

Josdavi/Armisrael
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Josdavi/Armisrael » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:23 pm

I watched NGE in to diferents oficial dub (latino), the first on Animax and the other (the old one) on youtube ( dub from a dead channel called: Locomotion)

I like mostly the Locomotion's dub, but later i could not find the end of evangelion dub in latino , so only watched first on spanish (europe). I did not like it at all, so that was the first reason to start watching the entire NGE and the movie on Japanese.
Life is insubstantial
but the joy of this, is to make an artificial reason to live till the end.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live"

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”