Why didn't Shinji finish Asuka off in EOE?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

Re: Why didn't Shinji finish Asuka off in EOE?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:26 pm

The only things Asuka gets to do after returning from HIP:

- Kick down her grave marker (implied)
- Make the choice to lie next to Shinji (implied)
- Lie there catatonically while he tries to kill her
- Caress his face before he finishes the job
- Stare coldly at her would-be murderer while he sobs into her chest, then express disgust

From all of this, I would say that Asuka is clearly in a state of violent ambivalence and transition. (Does she value her life or want to die? Does she want Shinji's company or does she hate his guts? Etc.) Change is happening, only progress doesn't occur in a straight line, but in zigs and zags.

I've written to you before about how unrealistic it would be to expect someone, least of all Asuka, to emerge from HIP having fully processed the experience. Give the kids time to deal with their traumata, for goodness sake.
Avatar: "That's right. I'm a gay robot." (David 8 image by Junseo)
Crying Man
(Or, How Dr. Katsuragi Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft. Chapter 10: Idle Hands released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

C.T.1290
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:39 pm

^How would it be unrealistic, if you don't mind my asking?
Craab People, Craab People. Taste like crab, talk like people. Craab People, Craab People.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:28 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I don't think that Asuka returned to [a state of] individuality exhibiting any real improvement either, but it would also be unrealistic to expect this, I think. Unlike Shinji, who [was] allowed to maintain self-awareness during the process of Instrumentality, Asuka was given no such privilege and would have been subsumed into the hivemind. It will take time for her to process everything that's happened. Even a well-adjusted adult would need a proper buffer zone to recover from such an intense and otherworldly experience.
Avatar: "That's right. I'm a gay robot." (David 8 image by Junseo)
Crying Man
(Or, How Dr. Katsuragi Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft. Chapter 10: Idle Hands released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

Tumbling Down
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:34 pm

Because she reminded him why he chose to abort Instrumentality.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:This is very much up for debate, though. She already addressed him whacking off to her earlier in the film, so I'm inclined to believe that her final line focuses on something different. In my opinion, I think she's referencing the entire experience and fallout of 3rd Impact and the HIP.

I thought she was referring to Shinji and everything he's done. The fact that she goes right back to insulting him after extending kindness towards him is confirmation that Shinji's view of the women (and arguably people of any gender) in his life, as expressed on the train, was correct. (Whether or not Asuka's insult was justified is besides the point.) If Shinji doesn't finish the job after the ending card appears on-screen, then he's truly accepted humanity/existence, warts and all.

zlink64
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:41 pm

He was just caressed by his mom a scene prior.
Asuka probably reminded him of his mother's caress and whatever themes, lessons are associated with that so he stopped. The card isn't mutually exclusive reason imo. Like the scene/Shinji can have many concurrent and related reasons for doing what he did.

Also since in a lot of ways its a continuation of the other strangle scene so Anno is probably trying to say something since Asuka and Shinji seem to have changed since the last strangulation moment based of their different actions on the 2nd go around.
hmmm

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”