Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:11 am

Well Google Translate says it means Executive Room, which I take to mean a conference room. Clearly there's a long table off screen, which Helga constantly complains about because it's cheap cherry veneer and clashes with the minamalist look of the rest of the place. Meanwhile the guys down in HR are pissed that the accounting department wants to use the conference room but everyone is too scared to ask Gendo to leave. We're missing the real point here, though, which is that SEELE told Gendo he could have the Tree of Life or his collection of waifu statues, and he decided those would be more appropriate in his home office with his wall scroll display and collection of vintage Nintendo games, each of which took many months and a small fortune to collect, because if you have a bunch of waifu statues in your office and paint the sephirot on your dining room ceiling people will call you a weirdo.

Also I was wrong before, it's not just Gendo, my husbando and Kaji that enter that office, Ritsuko is frequely under the desk.

Also you can't see the script in the show, you can only see the show, so the script could call it the rubber baby buggy bumper room and it wouldn't matter, it's all about how it feels to you, the individual viewer, because we are all in our own independent reality because God shattered himself into infinite pieces to see what it would look like if he didn't exist, and the truth of existence is always over our shoulders, hiding behind our eyes, and that truth is that in in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer’s table, and the true nature of the universe can be found on an obscure Twitter that only sends out repeats of undecipherable 16 character codes interspersed with random ravings about the adventures of Benjamin Franklin through time and space as he battles the terrible secret at the heart of the sun. You can find this twitter only by visiting the Arby's at 1060 West Addison Street, Chicago, Illinois 60613, where you will find a man in the stockroom who knows certain secrets, such as the name of this twitter, a specific mausoleum in a specific cemetery that opens into a direct path to the sixth circle of hell where bargains may be struck, and four of the six letters of the secret name of a dead chaos god that, when uttered, will restore its existence to the mortal sphere and end all life. This man cannot be identified and if you speak to him you will be unable to remember or describe his face, as he traded his actual identity to a creature from the lower depths of reality (which is not hell, this is important information) and guards it along with two other men who know the other letters, thus binding the entity by fracturing its name.

One of the letters is Ӂ.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:42 am

View Original PostThe Flying Fortress wrote:You do not need to elaborate a moral text to say that the author is the creator of the work and therefore he puts what want in it, but I only question points where logic is replaced by symbolism, this is just my preference, it can To do an anime about fairies and elves that I will not question, I just think that Evangelion has a solid foundation compared to other animes of the genre but it plays with a fanciful Universe and sometimes silly (my opinion).

Newspaper reading, beer-drinking penguin, and it's Gendo's interior design aesethic that you question? I still don't even think Gendo's office is logically flawed, just eccentric.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:46 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Also you can't see the script in the show, you can only see the show, so the script could call it the rubber baby buggy bumper room and it wouldn't matter, it's all about how it feels to you, the individual viewer, because we are all in our own independent reality because God shattered himself into infinite pieces to see what it would look like if he didn't exist, and the truth of existence is always over our shoulders, hiding behind our eyes, and that truth is that in in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer’s table, and the true nature of the universe can be found on an obscure Twitter that only sends out repeats of undecipherable 16 character codes interspersed with random ravings about the adventures of Benjamin Franklin through time and space as he battles the terrible secret at the heart of the sun. You can find this twitter only by visiting the Arby's at 1060 West Addison Street, Chicago, Illinois 60613, where you will find a man in the stockroom who knows certain secrets, such as the name of this twitter, a specific mausoleum in a specific cemetery that opens into a direct path to the sixth circle of hell where bargains may be struck, and four of the six letters of the secret name of a dead chaos god that, when uttered, will restore its existence to the mortal sphere and end all life. This man cannot be identified and if you speak to him you will be unable to remember or describe his face, as he traded his actual identity to a creature from the lower depths of reality (which is not hell, this is important information) and guards it along with two other men who know the other letters, thus binding the entity by fracturing its name.

One of the letters is Ӂ.

Is your profile picture just a photo of you typing this?
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

The Flying Fortress
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The Flying Fortress » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:08 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Newspaper reading, beer-drinking penguin, and it's Gendo's interior design aesethic that you question? I still don't even think Gendo's office is logically flawed, just eccentric.

Yes, it is foolish to waste time questioning the logic of an anime, but as you can see the created topic was with a friendly premise so you do not need heated discussions about it, right?

Perhaps Evangelion has created an expectation in me of being different from other animes, as Sci-fic I have to believe that it will behave more seriously with the laws of physics and the whole context of a real world, this includes the logical sense, Which also includes such a banal issue as the architecture of Gendo's office, is just that.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:09 am

At least there's no ambiguity about realism and fanciful universes in Rebuild. I like the over-the-topness of some aspects of the new films, such as jumping off rising sky scrapers and Eva beast mode.

You still haven't really pointed out why having the symbols in the office is logically flawed. Think of it as one of those motivational posters you see in the offices of regular people. We've already established that nobody would recognize what they mean, unless they were already intimately familiar with the way Impacts and Instrumentality work (doubtful, considering Gendo is the one who came up with the solution to Instrumentality). As for the person who painted it: are they required to have knowledge of the symbols before painting in weird shapes and patterns? Maybe Gendo rolled up his sleeves and painted it himself (lord knows he wastes enough spare time already devoting himself to his plan). None of this seems illogical to me. Please elaborate on this so that I may understand.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Call me fool, but I always thought that the actual drawing of the tree was not a drawing per se, but a "magic", tangible thing attached to the real thing. My logic when I watch it is: well, it's the visual representation of the tree of sephirot, like the thing is completed. Also you can notice like a "sound", like "ZZOOON", it's like the thing is "achieved". But honestly I can't defend this thought against the others. However, I don't think the thing was made by the NERV's screens. Like, why would be it for? I mean, Fuyu knows about that, Maya knows about that, the two other guys know about that, Gendo knows about that, it doesn't provide any useful information to anybody but the viewer, and that doesn't follow the panels logic.
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:55 pm

It's not unusual for ppl to decorate spaces in accordance with their purpose like it can be said to represent "creation" or "completion" and that's what NERV is supposed to do according to its backers, so why not incorporate this in the designated BigBoss Room? - SEELE paid for this for this and they speak in metaphors/ have a semi-occultist dogmatist vibe going on.

It's like a hospital having a medicine-themed fountain on its grounds.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:20 am

Gendo placing a drawing of Sephiroth's tree on the ceiling of his office reminds me of how, according to a certain conspiracy theory, there are a bunch of business owners placing internationally-known symbols for specific criminal activities on company grounds. While the symbols are associated with specific crimes, they weren't invented for the specific purpose of describing these crimes, so you'd have to both be aware of the existence of the crimes and have a suspicion that they're taking place on company grounds in order to think that the symbols mean anything, and even once you do think those symbols mean something, you're likely to shrug it off as confirmation bias. It's hard to know how many people at NERV have any inkling of what's going on at the top and how many of them are totally in the dark, but we know that Ritsuko knew the most (aside from Kaji) and even she didn't have the full story. The ones who haven't heard of Instrumentality (so probably most people at NERV) won't make anything of the symbol, and the ones who've heard rumors about it through the grape vine or whatever will still doubt themselves.

So basically, Gendo has nothing to lose, but the only thing he has to gain is some "wink wink nudge nudge" fun with any SEELE boys who come to visit. Maybe he likes the reminder of what he's working towards? Maybe it motivates him? I'm not sure that works, though, since he just wanted to be with Yui again and (from what I understand) didn't actually want to bring all of humanity into Instrumentality. It would make more sense to put Yui on the wall for that purpose. Maybe he wants any SEELE boys who visit to think that he's motivating himself with Sephiroth's tree.

View Original PostSachi wrote:doubtful, considering Gendo is the one who came up with the solution to Instrumentality

What solution are you referring to? Merging the Adam embryo with Rei?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:05 am

Gendo proposed and executed the idea of using the Evas to fulfill Seele's idea for Instrumentality. Before that, it's not clear how they were planning on completing their goals, but since they were already involved with 2I, they clearly had an idea about Instrumentality, but no solution as to how to make it their own. After Yui's disappearance, Gendo gave them that solution.
- Sachi

The Flying Fortress
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The Flying Fortress » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:31 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:You still haven't really pointed out why having the symbols in the office is logically flawed.

Okay , this is my last argument so I will not push anymore.

Well, there's a lot of evidence in the anime that Gendo is an individual manipulator and likes to hide the facts, so I guess he would not be presumptuous enough to put that sketch in his office, Gendo just wanted to join Yui, right. ? Even though the Eva project fills his ego, he would never do something like that, he does not seem to be the one who wanted to show that he was working on something Big, (and that the Sephiroth tree takes up too much floor space in the ceiling). , I really can not think that He is so fanatical that he would put it on the roof of his office. You also said that this is a whim of the author of the work, this is the obvious solution, but it does not explain why Gendo would do something like that, the same I think about cross explosions as a symbolic tactic.

mammaluser
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mammaluser » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:11 am

I mean, who wouldn't?!
"I wish that i could turn back time..."

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”