Why Gendo never talk to Asuka?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:19 pm

Reichu wrote:Kind of OOC. The great Gendo-sama is clearly beyond something as frivolous as small talk.

Do we know if the translation altered the implied tone of voice?

I would myself have expected him to say something like

"And what is the status of your preparations?" (with a heavy implication of "and why are you slacking off just now?")

and

"I do not expect you to disappoint me." ("or else...").
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:58 pm

. . . or say it just the managa not the series and move on ?
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:37 pm

DatDude wrote:. . . or say it just the managa not the series and move on ?

The manga still has the responsibility of being true to its characters. o_o I'm half-expecting Gendou to slap Shinji a high-five and take him out to lunch... or something.

Like what Mr. Tines said, the translators could have interpreted Gendou's words to be very nonchalant or something. The Japanese language is all about subtleties. x_x
Close your eyes and listen hard

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:26 pm

I've never compared the Japanese to the English, but I have compared the first and second editions of Viz's manga. In Volume 1, first edition, Gendo tells Shinji that "Cowards are useless when people's lives are at stake", or "Cowards are useless on the field of battle", or something like that, I can't recall exactly, I don't have access to my manga at the moment. In the second edition, Gendo simply says "Go home, coward". I'm not certain, but I believe the lengthier version of that line may be more accurate. Carl would be able to give a better explanation.

Part of the problem/difficulty in translating Japanese is the various implied meanings and subtlties. Some times a literal translation does not accurately convey the subtleties of a statement. And sometimes when one is trying to accurately convey a line through elaborating on the literal, the meaning gets altered somewhat.

It happens sometimes by no fault of the translator/script writer/ADR director/editor... although sometimes thats arguable.... *cough*Amanda Winn Lee*cough*.

Cogboy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Cogboy » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:16 pm

well in my version he says, in two differnt frames:
"I
have no
further
need of
you--

Go
home...
!"

and
"Cowards
are
useless
in a battle where mans
future
is at stake.

would this be the first or second edition?
"My point? "Sick and Depraved" is a banana." - Soluzar.

"I have those frameless glasses and shit. And emo glasses, but I broke them 'cause I got angry. :( " - Shnooks.

"Old quotes are old" - Cogboy

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:32 pm

Cogboy wrote: "I
have no
further
need of
you--

Go
home...
!"

That's the second version. He also says "Coward" afterwards.
Close your eyes and listen hard

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Why Gendo never talk to Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:09 am

Easy. Because Asuka hates Rei, and Gendo faps with Rei in his mind...
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:08 pm

View Original PostTheCarkolum wrote:Easy. Because Asuka hates Rei, and Gendo faps with Rei in his mind...

Don't you mean Ritsuko? Because she's the one who really believes Rei is sleeping with Gendo in both the anime/manga and is jealous as hell of her. Personally I don't think Asuka's that cold and I think if Gendo was sleeping with Rei both Shinji and Asuka would be horrified and would try to help because she's only 14.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

peripateia
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby peripateia » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Damn. Epic bump from 2005, the year I got into eva.

Oh, right, the topic. The only time I remember Gendo actually noticing Asuka was when she was getting ravaged by Arael, and Shinji pleaded for him to allow Shogouki to be launched. The man has his priorities straight, I guess. Yui >>> everybody else

The Flying Fortress
Adam

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby The Flying Fortress » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:10 pm

View Original PostDatDude wrote:Asuka was expendable to him, just another pawn inhis game. Her life had no meaning to him.

But she had utility as Eva's pilot for Gendo's plans, remember the dialogue in episode 24? , When Gendo tells Fuyutsuky that it would be a bad time to lose Unit 02 (I include Asuka in that), this after the Plug-suit failed in episode 19, he would not risk it again. All this is proven in EoE with the fight between Eva-02 and MPE's (at least she has gained time).

The Flying Fortress
Adam

Re: Re:

•      
  •      

Postby The Flying Fortress » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:15 pm

View Original PostThe Flying Fortress wrote: ... this after the Plug-suit failed in episode 19,

Sorry, * Dummy Plug

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:09 am

You should be able to edit your own posts. That would be preferable to double-posting to note a correction.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:30 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Shinji was the child of his body, and Rei the child of his making. Asuka was just another NERV staff member - and how often does the CEO speak to a shop floor worker?

This. He pays Misato good bucks to deal with the pilots, & has no reason to interact with her, he's not the sort to just chat with her for the heck of it.

For what it's worth the Manga has a scene where she gives him the "suck up to boss" treatment and tries to invite him for dinner while she & Shini were training at NERV hq, & mocks Shinji for being dejected over his refusal.
I don't really see it as OOC, like he's a person and nor barking out the command voice 24/7 but, it's not like he really engages them.

In canonland she seems to have a fairly diffuse opinion of him, like, he's just part of the unfair world/ impersonal organization that ought to admire her more (at the start)/ doesn't care about her (towards the end), though she does view him as playing favorites (though even that more through the lens of seeing Rei as an obedient suckup/doormat), sort of as a child views a vague authority - Unlike how they always have her clearly know who he is and look down at him in fanfic.

It kinda shows hos disconnected Shinji is from his origins & heritage that no one really gives him the "boss' kid" treatment, no sucking up or deferrence etc. (except perhaps that time Misato remarked that they both have a rather somber demeanor in ep 1, before she knew the situation)

Though Fuyutsuki & Kaji respectively inform him of Yui's involvement in the project in the Manga/Rebuild, he never finds out in the original, nor does he ever find out about her background in SEELE. I suppose it's part of EVA's whole unconventional story structure, like, Shinji never even meets Keel, there's no "final confrontation" with Keel, Gendo or any physical antagonist etc. the closest he comes to meeting the commitee face to face is after ep 17, when Misato decides to get debriefed in his state because she doesn't want him getting interrogated right after his experience with Leliel.
Misato herself finds out about stuff but gets gunned down before she can really do anything.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Gendo is a man of singular obsession, consumed by his work. He rarely interacts with anybody unless it's relevant to his goals.

Asuka is a disposable pawn in the grand scheme of things. Her Eva isn't special in any way, and she herself has no role in the culmination of Gendo or Seele's plans, nor does she become aware of those plans the way Misato does. Asuka is a tool throughout the series, and a minor nuisance in EoE.

Gendo couldn't really care less about Asuka. Her relevancy is practically nil.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:43 am

One of those things you don't notice till pointed out
But like others say, she is irrelevant to him.

In NGE he doesn't care when she is attacked by Arael, and in Rebuild it's the same with her in Bardiel.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:48 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:One of those things you don't notice till pointed out
But like others say, she is irrelevant to him.

In NGE he doesn't care when she is attacked by Arael, and in Rebuild it's the same with her in Bardiel.

Yep. Gendo only cares about wether or not the pilot of 02 can carry out their mission. As a person, Asuka is irrelevant.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Alternate interpretation: Gendo doesn't engage with smalltalk with anyone and the reason he's always so 'aloof' and 'intimidating' is because he's a gormless nerd that doesn't know what to say but he has attained majestic levels of resting bitchface.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:41 am

Being him Shinji's father that was my interpretation from the very first episode.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:07 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Alternate interpretation: Gendo doesn't engage with smalltalk with anyone and the reason he's always so 'aloof' and 'intimidating' is because he's a gormless nerd that doesn't know what to say but he has attained majestic levels of resting bitchface.

I wholeheartedly second this. Considering how awkward Shinji is, he must have inherited that from his father who's probably even worse off. Not to mention that Rei also picked up Gendo's massive awkwardness in social situations.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:59 am

She's just there to break his son.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”