Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:41 pm

Saw Spider-Man: Homecoming. Was fine. Nothing special.

I found it to be another case of the "Marvel Marketing Misbrand" hurting my overall enjoyment of the film. Just like their earlier cases of misbranding: "Captain America: The Winter Soldier is really a 70s conspiracy thriller...with superheroes" & "Ant-Man is really a heist movie... with superheroes" the two years of branding Homecoming "a John Hughes high school movie...with superheroes" left me disappointed with the superheroes drowning out the fun attempt at genre. This was a piss poor attempt at a high school movie just like those others were piss poor conspiracy thrillers & heist flicks. When Peter Parker & his friend went to that party I wanted the fun of a John Hughes movie where the various high school personalities bounced off one another & then Spider-Man was thrown into the mix. Never happened. They walk in, he exchanges a few a lines with the non-character that is Liz (such a shame since the actress was working overtime to sell her as a real person), Flash 3.0 throws out a joke & then Peter is basically done with the party. This was the same with the actual prom & most high school elements in the film. Pure superficial window dressing that the filmmakers never actually took advantage of. Every time the film flirted with the idea of dealing with a superhero in classic high school antics they just dived back into an expensive set piece. Some of the set pieces were solid, I liked the Washington DC stuff because it actually was small-scale & had a great use of color & greatly enjoyed the creativity of the action scene when Spider-Man found himself stuck in the skyscraper-less suburbs though sadly the movie drops the ball in final action scene which is an ugly, visually drab & poorly executed mess BUT what I really wanted to see was the movie they'd been selling for ages. A boy in high school in love with a girl who also has powers. The film didn't deliver on that promise. The girls were not people & everything to do with high school was just set dressing. Very disappointed to be honest.

Tom Holland is good in the role. He's a perfect representation of the character with any flaws smoothed out so he's easy to love. I didn't find him anywhere near as compelling as Tobey Maguire's version (Spider-Man 2 is a stone-cold masterpiece that as well as being a great pure superhero movie elevates far above the genre as being a real coming of age movie) but he was far superior to the smug Andrew Garfield rendition. Robert Downey Jr isn't as much of an overbearing presence as I feared & does fine. Young Aunt May is hot... that's it. As I previously stated the girl who plays Liz really tries her all to giver her character some dimension but the writers aren't interested in that. All the praise for Zendaya in this movie is unearned though. The talk about her performance for months has been that she's the secret weapon of this film & that couldn't be further from the truth. She's more of a non-character than Liz. It's not that Zendaya's performance is bad min you, it's just that her character is an empty quip machine. She's brought out once every 15 minutes or so to deliver a deadpan one-liner with the same tenor & that's it. There's one line where she's allowed a second of vulnerability but that is immediately followed with another one-liner. The actress equates herself well with the material given but there's nothing there. Michael Keaton as Adrian Toomes/The Vulture is the best part of the movie & every scene with him is a true delight but sadly while the film starts out on a very strong foot with him aside from one scene late in the game his motivation is forgotten.

So it's fine. It's a much better movie than the two Marc Webb disasters & it ends up being a stronger film than Spider-Man 3 because it's more focused BUT it doesn't come close to the quality of the 2002 original & isn't in the same ballpark as Spider-Man 2. Probably sits somewhere in the middle of the MCU canon for me. It's a decent time out at the movies but with War for the Planet of the Apes, The Big Sick & Baby Driver probably playing in the same theater you have much better options on what to see.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanos's Black Order for Infinity War has been revealed.
As a massive fan of Hickman's Avengers work that these characters were introduced in I am very pleased, they all look pretty much spot on.
Supergiant is missing but that is logical as they have Ebony Maw and don't really need another telepath/mental manipulator.
Comic versions - https://geeksofcolor.files.wordpress.co ... g_1408.png
Movie versions
- https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEzojyPVwAAWDdI.jpg:large
- https://www.comicbookmovie.com/avengers ... po-a152482

That being said, I do not like this Thanos look at all. I really hope it is temporary and he goes back to the GOTG design which was perfection.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:43 pm

The Next DC film to go into production after justice league will be Shazam.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... m=referral

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:29 pm

New Justice League trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_6yBZKj-eo

Steppenwolf looks fantastic, voice is a bit too muddled. The shot of Aquaman standing on the falling Parademon is awesome up until they explode out the bottom of the building, the cgi background gets really bad really quick. The humor is working, its bending the tone but not breaking it thanks to the clear intensity of the situation and the serious visual style.

Affleck reiterated that he isn't going anywhere in spite of strong rumors of him being phased out yesterday.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:29 pm

Thor 3 trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue80QwXMRHg

- Very happy they showed Thor using lightning without the hammer.
- As said previously, Hela looks perfect, Cate seems to be playing the character a bit more exaggerated then she typically is in the comics but not annoyingly so like The Collector and after the hyper generic flat villain we got in Malekith this is welcome.
- I hope Hulk is not able to defeat Surtur alone, Surtur in the comics killed Odin a skyfather so it should take notably more then that.
- I think the humor in the JL trailer is working better then the humor here.
- I appreciated that both trailers did not use another rock song.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:50 am

Cate is an amazing actress and it looks like she's having fun with it. Should be good.

The Hulk works really well as a syppprting character and it looks like it'll be fun when he starts talking more. Ruffalo is great.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:03 am

Saw Homecoming.

s'alright.
I liked Spidey's still getting into the swing of things bumbling. Having him jump around a sub-urban environment, messing up roof tiles and breaking garden furniture was an amusing departure from swinging around sky-scrapers.
A lot of the action scenes took place during nighttime, which angers me. I can barely see what's happening, damn it. Fight during daylight hours, please.

Biggest smile came at the very beginning- the Marvel Studios logo with the classic Spiderman TV theme playing in the background. Nice.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off is not a "great movie". It sucks. I don't care whether or not Paramount demanded Spiderman praise their movie, this line should never have been approved.
"Yeah Spiderman guy" is my new, favourite, credited extra.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Some other news points released at comic con...
- The Flash movie will be a adaption of sorts of Flashpoint, Jeffery Dean Morgan & Lauren Cohen have both already teased returning as the Batman & Joker of that universe for which that alone I am interested in.
- Michelle Pfeiffer is Janet Van Dyne Pym in the Ant Man sequel.
- Laurence Fishburne is Goliath.
- Walton Goggins is the villain of it. (extremely sad he won't likely be playing Bullseye now)
- Clancy Brown is voicing Surtur.
- Captain Marvel will be set in the 90s for some reason :???: The Skrulls will be the villains, Nick Fury will be the main supporting character.
Concept art
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFYaYtxUAAQOej9.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFYado5VYAAZ3iv.jpg:orig
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFYigInW0AIZIEf.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFYamuMV0AAqmqd.jpg:orig

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:42 am

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:01 pm

Look, let's be real here. The DCCU's fourth or fifth film or whatever being about retconning itself makes the whole thing pretty damn true to the DC universe proper.

I'm disappointed we'll never get an 80's period piece Crisis on Infinite Earths movie complete with hokey dialogue and people saying "egads".
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:08 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Look, let's be real here. The DCCU's fourth or fifth film or whatever being about retconning itself makes the whole thing pretty damn true to the DC universe proper.

Personally I'm just sad it's come to this. They could have turn this around without having to create a whole damn movie specifically to undo the things the mainstream audience didn't like. Better or worse though it looks like that's not going to happen. I almost prefer a hard reboot to what they're planning to do at this point.

Not looking forward to it, just at this point I'm too frustrated to fight it.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:23 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:1 - Another Ex-DC actor goes over to the side of the enemy. So much for brand loyalty.

2 - I'm not going to go see it. Not least of which because I'm not looking forward to seeing Carol Danvers character butchered and perverted like she's been in the recent line of comic books. Civil War II did to her character what OMD did to Spider-Man.

1 - You might have a point if she was in the Dceu (like fishbourne is) but it's been nearing 3 decades since she was Catwoman. Marvel isn't the enemy, the viewers who think all Superhero films should follow their example are.
2 - Disagree, I think her doing whatever it took to protect people in a governmental way fits in line with her air force past. For the record I was fully on her side in CW2, fuck Tony, he kidnaps a kid and beats him but then has the audacity to criticize her detaining people who they find evidence will commit crimes that have been foreseen, had she actually detained the lawyer past the legal limit time with no evidence which was approaching when Tony broke her out, Tony might have had a point, but as it stands Carol did absolutely nothing wrong. Every other person they jailed they had evidence on or were caught in the act.
The bigger issue with the recent handling of Carol is them attempting to make her into a squeaky clean inspiring heroine and removing her dark side, like her past drinking problems or taking a Skrull out into space just to watch it slowly die.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:37 pm

There's more to my dislike with what they've done to Carol Danvers character in the comic books than just that. Long story short marvel has been taking some pretty Hard political stances lately, and Carol Danvers is at the center of it all. And with all the emphasis on "CAPTAIN" Marvel at the expensive who the character was and had been known as over the course of pretty much the entire run of comic books until a few years ago. . . Yeah can't say I'm looking forward to it.

What are your thoughts on the announcement of Flashpoint?

Edit: also Civil War II screwed over every character. Not just Carol.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:40 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Personally I'm just sad it's come to this. They could have turn this around without having to create a whole damn movie specifically to undo the things the mainstream audience didn't like. Better or worse though it looks like that's not going to happen. I almost prefer a hard reboot to what they're planning to do at this point.

Not looking forward to it, just at this point I'm too frustrated to fight it.

It's just a movie. You really should relax.
the prophecy is true

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:37 pm

DC shoulda, woulda, coulda done a lot of things differently. But they didn't, and so here we go.

Honestly, I'm waiting for the other show to drop as far as superhero movies go. After the Infinity Wars movies, I'm not the superhero trend will last much longer in its "Cinematic Universe" format. These film trends tend to last only a decade, and Iron Man is quickly approaching 10 years old already.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:57 pm

People will stop caring about superheroes soon. Pfft, Superman is so 1930's.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:23 pm

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:36 pm

Ragaholic got it wrong about the 80's. Fantasy was a niche market at best during that time. The real popular 80's genre was comedy. It's partially why Ghostbusters wouldn't work in a contemporary market regardless of the casting.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:30 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:What are your thoughts on the announcement of Flashpoint?

Indifference/wait and see mode.
It probably won't be addressing the knightmare sequence in Bvs if he is going into the Flashpoint universe with Thomas & Martha surviving the Alley.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:00 pm

[DELETED}
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Film and Video”