Hebrew Spelling of Angels' Names? (Hebrew-Romaji inconsistencies)

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Hebrew Spelling of Angels' Names? (Hebrew-Romaji inconsistencies)

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi. I was wondering: The Angels Sachiel, Zeruel, and Ireul: Their Hebrew names given in their wiki articles don't match their Romaji names.

Sachiel's Hebrew name is זכיאל. So, it should be pronounced Zachiel.
Zeruel's is זוריאל. So, it should be pronounced Zuriel.
Ireul's is ירואל. So, it should be pronounced Yeruel.

Of course, these Anglicizations all match the Katakana equivalents. Here's my question: Where is the source for the Hebrew spellings of the Angel's names? Does anyone know? (I've seen sources for the English spellings on Google, but I haven't been able to find sources for the Hebrew.)

(Some of the articles (e.g., Ramiel's) mention ספר החנוך as a source, but I can't find where in the book these angels' names are listed. It's weird.)

(I may cross-post on reddit, as well.)
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Hebrew Spelling of Angels' Names? (Hebrew-Romaji inconsistencies)

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:26 pm

They were probably added by Zugzwang, an occultist expert who is no longer with us. I would suggest simply removing them, since they have no relevance to NGE's angels. Or at best, restricting any mention to a blurb that discusses the inspiration for the Angel's name and sometimes attributes.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Hebrew Spelling of Angels' Names? (Hebrew-Romaji inconsistencies)

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:31 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:no longer with us

Interesting choice of words, there. Well, ok. I guess I'll see if anyone can give a source here or on reddit, and if not, out they go. Thanks!

EDIT: Apparently, in the Commentary of Evil on DR, they call Zeruel "Zuriel". I assume that was an error, though, because it is Zeruel in the original JP, I believe. Anyway, they pronounce "Kaworu" as "Kaworu", so... (Ok, this is creepy. I just typed "Kaworu", and it shows up as "Kaworu".)
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”