Asuka's Angel contamination - what is it exactly?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

Asuka's Angel contamination - what is it exactly?

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:55 am

So, it seems very likely to me that in 2.0, Asuka was mentally contaminated by the 9th Angel, requiring her to have Angel-sealing hex-glyphs on her eyepatch in 3.0.

My question is, what exactly does mental contamination by an Angel entail? The hex-glyphs are confirmation to me that it's more than PTSD from the experience, but what could it be? Angels were described in NGE as being "Humans who discarded Human form", so, assuming that still applies in the NTE, wouldn't an Angel's mind be basically the same as a Lilin's?

Could it be that the mental contamination was a sort of failsafe weapon, which would cause Asuka to attempt to cause an impact if not for the hex-glyphs?

This would mean that the 9th Angel is a cross of Bardiel and Arael - capable of both infecting Evas and directly attacking a Lilin's mind.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Asuka's Angel contamination - what is it exactly?

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:53 pm

I don't think there's enough information to make educated guesses. The only times whatever is behind the patch manifested itself was during beast mode and when she was watching Shinji fly away. The former can easily be attributed to the physical and maybe emotional stress beast mode causes the pilot (plus the whole glowing eyes thing), and the latter one is pretty arbitrary as there doesn't seem to be anything specific that triggers the glow. I think it's something that will remain a mystery till final if it's explained at all.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:58 am

View Original PostSettie wrote:I think it's something that will remain a mystery till final if it's explained at all.

I can see the eye becoming an important thing in the final battle, but yes, I don't think they will expand upon the nature of it too much in 4.0. (It's not very important to the main story after all)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Cybermat47 wrote:So, it seems very likely to me that in 2.0, Asuka was mentally contaminated by the 9th Angel, requiring her to have Angel-sealing hex-glyphs on her eyepatch in 3.0.

As I pointed out in that other thread, the proper translation of Ritsuko's line in 2.0 does not say that Asuka was never physically contaminated. Rather, it's saying that the physical contamination is no longer actively spreading.

This would mean that the 9th Angel is a cross of Bardiel and Arael - capable of both infecting Evas and directly attacking a Lilin's mind.

Indeed -- much the same as how Zeruel and Armisael were fused together to create the 10th. The music in the scene where Eva-03 attacks Eva-01 even uses a distorted refrain of "Hallelujah!"
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:50 pm

The only real thing that plays out abnormally for Asuka is her punch cracking the glass. Is she stronger that she normally is?

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:48 am

Maybe the Eva pilots are superhuman: Shinji's eyes turned glowing red, he forced an Eva into God Mode and wrecked a metal panel barehanded, Asuka and Mari have growing fangs too.

Or maybe she's just really strong as she is in ANIMA.

SPOILER: Show

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”