[LAEM] Would an american Evangelion live-action movie have ever worked if it had been done right?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: [LAEM] Would an american Evangelion live-action movie have ever worked if it had been done right?

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:47 pm

We already have a series.

It's called Neon Genesis Evangelion.

It's perfect. No need for an American anything.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: [LAEM] Would an american Evangelion live-action movie have ever worked if it had been done right?

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:21 pm

View Original PostCybermat47 wrote:I think a US studio could make a LAEM on a similar budget, but I doubt that a US studio would be willing to risk making a movie with naked a comatose 14 year-old being masturbated to by their 14 year-old friend, while a grown man sticks his hand inside the belly of another naked 14 year old, before the comatose 14 year old is horrifically torn apart, and the masturbating 14 year old sees that the 14 year old with a hand in her belly is now a giant naked 14 year old.

I'd hope if they ever made this in to a movie or mini series that they would not put in the hosbital scene at all along with Gendo touching up Rei because the audience online backlash would be utterly horrific even more so among the people who have never seen the series or EOE. If GOT has shown anything its that audiences do not like rape for kink or scenes like it done for shock value and it can cause sponsor websites to pull out in a heart beat and leave the series or movie high and dry. That's not to say that these themes can't be handled well, as in the right show runners hands they can work seamlessly but in the wrong hands its a disaster waiting to happen.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:36 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I'd hope if they ever made this in to a movie or mini series that they would not put in the hosbital scene at all along with Gendo touching up Rei because the audience online backlash would be utterly horrific even more so among the people who have never seen the series or EOE.

Yep, those scenes would never be put in a US LAEM - which is why a US LAEM can't be done properly. Those scenes are pretty important story-wise.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:59 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:... Battle Royale? :devil:

I always considered that more of a dark comedy, not a serious drama. (Or, at least a very silly, psudo-Final Destination-style flick.) Yuko Miyamura's recorded video at the end of Act 1 of Battle Royale explaining how to play the game kind of established that tone for the rest of the film's run time. If Evangelion were adaptaed as a dark comedy like Battle Royale was, then maybe we could get it off the ground. But I'm not sure a dark comedy is in keeping with Eva's recognizable tone.

Game of Thrones seems to love tossing kids into **** situations, and I think a series, or even a mini-series, may prove a better format for Evangelion.
Considering we're in a Golden age of television, with all sorts of small IP being adapted (while Hollywood failed to adapt GiTs well), it may even be preferable.

I never made the argument that bad things happening to kids makes for unbelievable television. 3 or 4 kids being solely responsible for the literal salvation of the entire planet, on the other hand, tends to stretch the limits of believability in a live-action setting, especially when there are other adults in the show who arguably have more competency under stress that the teenagers do. The dynamic between teenagers and adults presented in Eva is strikingly different from the dynamic between teenagers and adults shown in GoT. GoT revels in just having bad things happen to everyone, with no one character being powerful enough to become a universal savior. Eva, on the other hand, centers its entire narrative on one 14-year-old boy literally becoming the unwilling savior for the entire planet. This difference negates any argument that GoT uses its younger cast members for similar thematic (and therefore narrative) purposes as Eva.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:We already have a series.

It's called Neon Genesis Evangelion.

It's perfect. No need for an American anything.

This... I like this.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:02 am

I think we'd be served well enough in seeing significant Eva influence make its way into independent live-action films. Tribute would work out far better than adaptation, especially if gaijin are involved.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:14 pm

Tangentially related to this topic, but Asa Butterfield (Hugo, Ender's Game, Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children) recently posted the following on Twitter:

Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Microsoft_Sam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Microsoft_Sam » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:21 am

Uh... Dunno where the dream cast for LAEM thread is or whether it's still open.

But Imma say this:

Fuyutsuki needs to be played by Peter Capaldi. Cause yes.
My ROFLcopter goes Soi soi soi.

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:36 pm

The only way I could see this working is if they had a prestigious director that truly loves the source material without any studio interference.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:20 am

I see it working if it something that adapts the essence, but does its own thing, adapted to the live action medium.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri May 11, 2018 7:39 am

We kind of had that. It was called Pacific Rim.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:18 am

I thought pacific rim was just all right. I mean it was fun and all but it isn't Evangelion. I mean what what Stanley Kubrick's dead body was brought back and said, "Guys the rebuilds were a mistake. Anno hold my beer."

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:04 pm

I don't know if Kubrick was that much into character studies like Evangelion. He had a much colder style. Though I see it cinematically.
Pacific Rim was more mecha in general imo.

I was thinking more of the psychological aspect.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:19 pm

There is a famous art house miniseries called the Dekalog. Its the only Tv Series on Criterion Collection. If they were ever to remake Evangelion in live action maybe they could do something like that.
View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I don't know if Kubrick was that much into character studies like Evangelion.

I agree with that to an extent. Although I have seen Dr. Strangelove and there was a little bit of character studies but never to extent of evangelion.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”