The Official Ace Combat Thread

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

The Official Ace Combat Thread

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed May 17, 2017 8:56 am

With the release of Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown coming soon to consoles, this seems like an appropriate thread to set up.

The game is set to be VR ready, and from the trailer looks like it'll be the best game in the series yet.

So, topics of discussion like favorite game, favorite superfighter, favorite superweapon, and favorite superfortress (among so many other topics) are always good to see, as is any love for this high octane, adrenaline fueled series of war in the skies.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: The Official Ace Combat Thread

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Wed May 17, 2017 9:22 am

I've been meaning to get into this series for such a long time. I even have a signed copy of Ace Combat 4. Signed by my favorite doujinshi artist though because it's his favorite video game. Yeah I know this is weird. My roommate really only likes Ace Combat 3 and she's played it multiple times to get all the endings but despite my love of sci fi series and even sci fi planes like the Yukikaze novels I wanted to try one of the more realistic games!

big papi classic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby big papi classic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:21 am

The AC trinity on PS2 is probably the best trio of games of all time. The only others that come close are the Metroid Prime games, but even then MP2 and MP3 don't come close to the first.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:24 pm

My favorite of the series to this day is AC4: Shattered Skies. I never finished it because every time I played it, I would always get stuck crashing down on the sixth level and I didn't even know until I watched a Walkthrough video on YouTube that there's a fleet in the sea that you have to take out first before going to the dock and getting locked on so many times I couldn't keep count. Still, I loved the planes and the narrative of the little boy who lost his parents to the war and then as far as I know, starts getting close to the Ace pilot who did the deed.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:26 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:My favorite of the series to this day is AC4: Shattered Skies.

Having played 4, 5, 0, and 6, Ace Combat 4 continues to be my favorite. I loved playing as Mobius 1.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:14 pm

So, first off - BUMP

Even with no official E3 presentation this year, the anticipated release date for AC7 is still 2018. So, the release date is as unknown as the skies in his game apparently :leekspin:

The Eva Monkey wrote:Having played 4, 5, 0, and 6, Ace Combat 4 continues to be my favorite. I loved playing as Mobius 1.

Out of curiosity, have you played the titles they released on the PSP at all?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:16 am

Man, feels like I've been waiting forever for 7 to come out. I never really played much of the past games as a kid (I would love to go back and play "the Trinity" with more appreciative eyes) but my interest and love of planes, specifically fighter jets, has reemerged over the past couple years, so I've really been looking forward to this one; devouring every teaser, trailer and gameplay vid that's been released.

I'm more inclined to think we will get AC7 in 2019 if we don't get a release date soon :uhh:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:01 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Out of curiosity, have you played the titles they released on the PSP at all?

Nope, unfortunately, my handheld collection is extremely sparse, and limited to Nintendo handhelds.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:34 am

Possibly release date Friday with the new trailer?
Warren Peace, #643919

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:02 am

^ With any luck ^_^

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:07 pm

So, there was a last minute trailer with some gameplay details but little else. Apparently the player character is part of a penal squadron paying off their debt to society by blowing up as much shit as possible.

And still no release date... but it will be released sometime this year, because I doubt Project Aces or BandaiNamco will let the 20th anniversary go by without a game being released.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:31 pm

Dang, no release date, but that is a slick gameplay trailer. Liking the idea of an expendable penal unit. Also, really hoping this game has divergent story paths like in 3; the previous trailers seem to hint at such.
Warren Peace, #643919

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:28 pm

Well, they are still promising a 2018 release date, and the game engine and story seem well flushed out so maybe by the end of Q3 we'll have a game out. Then I can buy it for Christmas with a new PS4.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:04 pm

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:39 am

I really hope this means we get the YF-23 in AC7. YF-23 is my planefu!
Warren Peace, #643919

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:43 am

^ Well the Black Widow was in the two handheld games, and a few other games IIRC (AC: Skies of Deception and AC: Joint Assault, as well as AC: Assault Horizon), so I'm sure its unlockable/purchasable at some point in the campaign, especially considering we're back in Strangereal

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:50 am

BEST TIMELINE.  SPOILER: Show

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:...so I'm sure its unlockable/purchasable at some point in the campaign, especially considering we're back in Strangereal

:shinjismile:
Warren Peace, #643919

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:05 am

is that the FY-22 in the background? I don't remember it having a NASA paint job before... someone must have selected the wrong paint color on the mission select screen :lol:

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:46 pm

https://ace7.acecombat.jp/

So, it's looking like it's guaranteed we're getting release date at Gamescom: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/19 ... -combat-7/
Warren Peace, #643919

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:25 pm

Yeah, January 18, 2019. But at least its a firm date. I'd rather have an excellent game to start off with than something that's buggy as hell.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”