From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Postby amitakartok » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:15 pm

View Original PostCelepito wrote:Has anyone made one of those where Asuka gets back in time too, or did I simply miss it?

You missed it. I can count three off the top of my head: one where everyone goes back, one where only Asuka goes back but her attempts to smooth things over with Shinji in order to prevent everything from going to shit ultimately end up driving him even further away, and one where the pilots are timelooping and at one point, Shinji and Rei abusing the resets for training purposes ends up bashing Asuka's face in over and over and over again every single time the loop resets, which makes her more than a little pissed at the other two by the time it's over.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Celepito
Embryo

Postby Celepito » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:07 pm

^ I think you missed the 'too' there. The idea beeing that Shinji and Asuka both go back in time.

MisterHalt
Adam

Postby MisterHalt » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:45 pm

View Original PostCelepito wrote:^ I think you missed the 'too' there. The idea beeing that Shinji and Asuka both go back in time.

There's https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1413558/1/The-2nd-try if you want both of them sent back.
Strength is being able to crush a tomato. Dexterity is being able to dodge a tomato. Constitution is being able to eat a bad tomato. Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad. Charisma is being able to sell a tomato based fruit salad.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:59 am

Just stick with "Mitigation" or "Unbroken" and call it a day. Maybe do "Taking in Sights" because of how fun it is, Celepi.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:15 pm

From my various exotic ideas over the years, you guys might've noticed that I have a thing for Eva being taken in a more sci-fi direction.

Here's the two most recent plot bunnies that came to me so far.
SPOILER: Show
An Evangelion story that does not take place in Japan. In fact, no country or continent has a name recognizable to the reader. Not just that, but the local equivalent of SEELE are connected to an ancient religion that preaches that humanity brought ruin to heaven and was cast down in punishment. What's more, it's mentioned that the greatest mystery in the field of paleontology is why does humanity suddenly appear in the global fossil record roughly ten thousand years ago with no evolutionary ancestors, recently confirmed to be almost perfectly coinciding with the planet's last mass extinction event.

What's going on is that Rebuild's Near-Third and Fourth Impacts wrecked Earth's ecosystem so badly that after a century of futilely attempting to rebuild civilization on dead soil and foul water, humanity evacuated on a sleeper ship that subsequently crashed due to lack of maintenance. More specifically, the ship found this planet and was in the middle of an automated landing when the deceleration mechanism failed during reentry. The automatics managed to eject the cryogenic sections which used their own independent propulsion to escape and make a soft landing, but the main hull kissed the ground at terminal velocity in a fireball comparable to an asteroid impact.

Most of the cryogenic sections escaped the blast radius in time, but with all but one of the storage sections having went down with the ship, humanity was basically back to the stone age and took ten thousand years to get back to modern technological levels.

What makes this an Evangelion story is that the one storage unit that survived the impact happened to be carrying Evas as an "in case of Angels, break glass" measure. Even worse, that sleeper ship was actually based on the Wunder's technology and used Unit 01 as a power source. I have two ideas for antagonists:
  • Adam made it to the planet alongside the humans due to SEELE. Enemies are Angels, the good guys' headquarters is in the exact epicenter of the sleeper ship's impact crater. Unit 01 survived the crash and is in the good guys' custody, although they've never managed to activate it so far because the Eva used its Impact shenanigans to reincarnate Shinji's soul and will only respond to him.
  • In an ironic reversal of roles, Unit 01 went active as a Seed of Life after the crash and spawned an entire Lilim ecosystem in the impact crater. When the humans discovered it, however, Unit 01 did not recognize them as its spawn and began spawning Lilim Evangelions in the same way Adam spawns Angels to fight off the intruders. Humanity was initially fine with avoiding the crater but recently, the Lilim Evas began wandering beyond the crater and attacking nearby human settlements, resorting in humanity being forced to fight them off with Adamite Evas reverse-engineered off of those the sleeper ship was carrying.

SPOILER: Show
A few years ago, I wondered why is it that 3.0 Earth is so desolate, especially with the allegation that according to Anno, humanity has been reduced to a few million. Whatever we saw at the end of 2.0 simply does not account for this.

But after considering that whatever happened has killed Lilith, I came up with a theory. What if Earth's ecosystem is metaphysically tied to Lilith in such a way that it requires her continued existence to exist itself? When she kicked it, everything gradually began to die off, with lifeforms with weaker AT fields going first, hence why the humans are still around.

Thus my latest idea.

Adam going kaboom during Second Impact inflicted the metaphysical equivalent of a mortal would on Lilith. Despite their best efforts, GEHIRN could not keep her alive - but as it turned out, SEELE only planned on keeping her alive long enough to pull down a 'backup' of her soul for use for Instrumentality.

Optionally, SEELE knew that Second Impact was going to kill Lilith but did it anyway in order to put humanity in a die-or-fly situation where you either accept Instrumentally or die in a few years from your body being unable to hold together without Lilith.

Thing is, Yui figured out that the no-Lilith degenerative condition could be stopped and reversed via using the Lilith soul backup to create a replacement Lilith. SEELE, due to having such a hard-on for Instrumentality, shot the idea down on the spot.

So Yui hid the fact that Unit 01 is made of Lilith and helped Gendo create Rei to hide the Lilith soul backup where SEELE won't think to look for. According to the scenario the two came up with, once the Angels are gone, Rei will perform a contact experiment with Unit 01 to become the new Lilith. As far as Gendo knew, Yui getting stuck in the Eva wasn't part of the plan but in actuality, Yui wanted to be the new Lilith herself all along and only needed Rei to obtain Lilith's soul in order to combine it with Lilith's flesh under the Eva's armor and become the goddess of the new world.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:31 pm

There's a big problem with the second idea. In NTE it's strongly implied that Unit-01 is one of the four Adam's from 2I rarther than a clone of Lilith like she was in NGE
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:58 pm

Considering that I've stopped frequenting the analysis threads here years ago, I wouldn't know.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:00 pm

Might wanna get to that. The differences in canon could lead to some interesting stories
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:13 am

Well, that one doesn't necessarily have to take place in the Rebuild universe. We haven't seen enough of post-3I Earth in EoE to exclude the possibility of the same degenerative condition happening there due to what's left of Lilith leaving Earth, so it doesn't technically go against canon on that front.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:09 am

First one gives me major Xenogears vibes, which can't be a bad thing, I suppose. (What's a "Lilin Evangelion"...?)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:00 am

That one did materialize in my mind when I binged through TV Tropes' Xenogears page.

What's a "Lilin Evangelion"...?

Angel-like giant-ass entities that are of Lilim origin, not Adamite. I didn't call them Angels because that would imply they're of Adamite origin, whereas they are not.

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re:

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:57 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Not sure I'll ever get around to this one...

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:

So EVA-03 and EVA-04 make it safely to Tokyo-3; pilots Suzuhara and Horaki are inducted. Something in the initial tests makes Touji come over all protective in a "a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do" sort of way. Hikari thinks she's finally gotten through to him but he's still oblivious; and we have another disconnected couple.

Meanwhile Bardiel manifests, and hiI'm afraid it's Asuka who looks most disposable at this point. EVA-02 goes amok. Hikari and Shinji won't fight; Rei is ineffective, Touji tries but hesitates at a critical moment, and then - well things get a bit like in NME. Asuka spends the rest of the series in Room 303.

Hikari tries to comfort Shinji, but he can't face human contact, and quits.

Zeruel arrives and it's up to Touji and then Rei to try and hold it back. When EVA-03 falls, it's Hikari who then oversynchs in EVA-04 while Shinji is talking gardening and philosophy with Kaji.

Rei takes the lead against Arael as planned; retreats promptly, and then employs the Lance

Armisael vs Shinji, Rei and Touji (Hikari is held back for the same reason that canonically Shinji was) - this one could go in any of a number of different ways; but rather than saying that 3 Evas are enough to defeat it, say that Touji has to sacrifice himself. Ritsuko and Shinji still play out their parts for the rest of that episode.

Cue Tabris, and a brief Hikari/Kaworu pairing (Has anyone ever done that pairing before???)

End-game: Gendo's scenario is having to be revised on the fly as Yui-sama doesn't have an S2; SEELE are probably happy enough to employ EVA-04 as the medium for their plan. Shinji is probably useless, but would be stuffed into the entry-plug and EVA-01 dropped to the bottom of the lake while Hikari, operating without Asuka's limits, is able to eventually take down the harpies.

Instrumentality proceeds as GNR erupts - but who guides the process? Ikari-kun who is calling from the bottom of the lake, or Hikari in the spiritually active EVA-04?

I actually like this one quite a bit. Imagine Unit 04's S2 installation was a smashing success much to the disdain of one of the "deceptive factions:" SEELE, NERV, or Kaji...

One of these was at least expecting the event that occurs in ep. 17. It'd be funny to see them suddenly scrambling in a different way.

As for the end game, I'd say that the Kaworu vs. Hikari+ No Reiquarium/Rei II is still alive, etc.
is very important to consider. Also, where is Shinji (and extension Kensuke) in all of this.

Anyway, I'd say that Shinji is bored by proving useless on the same day as 3I/NERV is attacked. He FINALLY visits Asuka in the hospital after she was predominately ghosted throughout the series over on. That moment plays out the same as EoE.

Meanwhile, Hikari beats down the MPEs all by herself with Shinji and Asuka stowed away in the lake. She forcefully pulls up Unit 01 is pinned and paralyze via a total loss of autonomy (poor Yui!) at this point.

She imitates a summoning of Rei II in Unit 00. She over powers it causing it to explode. In doing so, she destroys HQ and Central dogma taking Gendo/Adam and Lilith with her. Then, Yui, Lilith, Adam, Kaworu, and the Reis come together and do their thing to break down Hikari.

Beach scene: Hikari washes up with Shinji, whom she also accidently summoned as Eva 04 floats to the Heavens with Asuka's soul kept within (her way of throwing her a bone after having her part cut so short).

What do you think???
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Settie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:21 pm

Lately I've been reading some post-Q fics and something i have noticed is there's very little exploration of the Misato & Asuka relationship. All the raw materials are there to expand on. Misato being one of the few people Asuka opened up to, it stands to reason that after things went to hell post 3i, Misato would be the one Asuka would rely on. During 3.0 they both have the same no-nonsense mission first attitude, so i think a sort of mother/adult role model type relationship could've developed between Misato and Asuka. Hell that could even be used as a source for the princess nickname, with Asuka being the "daughter" of the head of WILLIE.

So i guess my question is, how come it isn't explored? From what I've read Asuka often features prominently in most post-Q fics but her relationships consist of Shinji Mari or Rei, yet not a whole lot with Misato beyond her being the boss.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:06 am

There's the hint of some bad blood between them -- look at the way Asuka squints at Misato when she says, "Isn't that right, Captain Katsuragi?" Not enough to get in the way of what needs to be done in the present, but something emotionally unresolved regardless.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:17 am

Misato likely doesn't see her as Asuka anymore. She sees her as 'one of them' because of the angelic contamination in her eye.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:43 am

View Original PostSettie wrote:So i guess my question is, how come it isn't explored? From what I've read Asuka often features prominently in most post-Q fics but her relationships consist of Shinji Mari or Rei, yet not a whole lot with Misato beyond her being the boss.

Well, in my case their relationship simply wasn't a focus, which was almost entirely Shinji's perspectives on everybody else (and theirs on him). None the less, I think I did make it clear that Misato found Asuka hard to deal with, but was prepared to rely on her in the end, as a representative as well as a warrior.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Settie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:28 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:There's the hint of some bad blood between them

I never really thought about it that way,though i can see why there might be friction. I thought it was a not so subtle jab at Shinji for what he did after he brought up Rei and maybe at Misato too for the space mission, where Unit-2 and Asuka were in danger of burning up in the atmosphere but Misato told her that Unit-1 had priority. Misato does trusts her though so maybe Asuka doesn't entirely agree with everything Misato does. It's Interesting food for thought.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby imprimatur13 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:37 pm

I apologize if I shouldn't be interrupting an ongoing conversation (I'll be happy to wait for a lull, if asked), but has anyone ever thought of a fanfic (humor-oriented one-shot, probs) wherein Kensuke tries to engineer 3I, so he can get the footage? Or does that sound stupid?

Also, how about this:

Several months ago, before I finished the series, I had an idea for a story based on where I thought it was heading. You see, I thought that Shinji and Asuka/Rei (didn't know which) would have to team up together in order to stop 3I. And that 3I would be caused by some sort of, cosmic intercourse. But, in doing so, they would be so in sync with each other, that they would accidentally engage in their own cosmic intercourse (presumably, their Evas would have that ability) and destroy the world they were trying to save. And, after that, the world's gone. Everyone's dead. Including them. No happy ending for you!
I was kind of proud of myself, for having thought of that. Thinking about it now, comparing it to what actually happened, I'm wondering if it wasn't that bad of an idea after all... (Not that I'm saying it's better than Anno's ending or anything, just that) It wouldn't be the worst way to have ended it.

Another, even better idea. Pic:  SPOILER: Show

Thoughts?
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:50 am

View Original Postimprimatur13 wrote:I thought that Shinji and Asuka/Rei (didn't know which) would have to team up together in order to stop 3I. And that 3I would be caused by some sort of, cosmic intercourse. But, in doing so, they would be so in sync with each other, that they would accidentally engage in their own cosmic intercourse (presumably, their Evas would have that ability) and destroy the world they were trying to save. And, after that, the world's gone. Everyone's dead. Including them. No happy ending for you!

I did something like that (very briefly) with Shinji and Kaworu in the NTE universe: https://archiveofourown.org/works/3283973
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:08 am

View Original Postimprimatur13 wrote:You see, I thought that Shinji and Asuka/Rei (didn't know which) would have to team up together in order to stop 3I. And that 3I would be caused by some sort of, cosmic intercourse. But, in doing so, they would be so in sync with each other, that they would accidentally engage in their own cosmic intercourse (presumably, their Evas would have that ability) and destroy the world they were trying to save. And, after that, the world's gone. Everyone's dead. Including them. No happy ending for you!

don't read if you haven't seen RahXephon but eventually plan to  SPOILER: Show
The RahXephon TV ending gets pretty close to what you describe, if RahXephon had absorbed BerXephon ("Black RahXephon") by actually fucking her instead of doing the PG-rated version. I've been kind of hoping for a much more suggestive Eva-01/Eva-13 version of the final Xephon showdown in 3+1... except, y'know, with the dumb "singing at each other" stuff replaced with something that's actually fun to watch, and minus the Evas turning into giant versions of their pilots, because eeeewww no. Also, "female"(01) gets to triumph over "male" (13) because this is Eva so of course it does.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Fanfiction”