Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Tumbling Down
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Controversial Anime Opinions

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:01 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Funimtion just licensed Speed Racer, so.....

I didn't know that! Thanks for telling me! Aaanddd according to Google and Amazon, it doesn't have Japanese audio. Or a new dub. It's just a re-release of what was licensed before, but cheaper and on Blu-Ray. Still neat.

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Because retro anime is niche business, and the largest profits are obviously in the newer stuff. The best you can do is support the current retro releases, because that way we might get more, and pirate the things you can't buy.

Tokyo Godfathers is getting a BD release soon, by the way.

Also thanks!

I'm actually surprised that retro anime is niche. I mean, I believe you, and I kind of suspected it (because if it wasn't niche, there'd be more of it), but I don't really understand why people would be more interested in an anime just because it's newer.

El Squibbonator
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:08 pm

Here's something else that may or may not truly qualify as "controversial". I was never really able to get into the Yu-Gi-Oh anime, abridged or otherwise. The issue I had with it is actually an interesting one. See, I did like looking at the pictures and flavor text on the cards, simply because of how freaking weird they could be. The problem was that it just didn't translate to the anime.
In the anime, all of those awesome and bizarre creatures are just holographic tokens in a card game, as opposed to it being a fantasy series where they're actually real (if that's changed in the sequel series, feel free to inform me). And that's why I never got into watching Yu-Gi-Oh or any other card game-based anime. I'd much rather be watching a show about the crazy, surreal world hinted at within the card game, than watching people standing around playing it.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:17 am

... Even if it's playing card games while riding on motorcycles?!?! Image In America.

I watched Yu-Gi-oh! as Joey and 1,000 Dragon had me convinced the show was interested in strategy. Then I saw Yugi beat an opponent by forcing him to run out of cards to draw.

EDIT: Strange... it only shows there's a problem if I reload the page after several minutes, or look at it without being logged in...
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:40 am

Alaska Slim, Photobucket wants you to know that you need to update your account to enable 3rd party hosting.
Avatar: "That's right. I'm a gay robot." (David 8 image by Junseo)
Crying Man
(Or, How Dr. Katsuragi Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft. Chapter 10: Idle Hands released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

Return to “Anime and Manga”