Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:34 am

I never make excuses for watching movies with Gary Oldman Hamming it up, regardless of the movies actual quality.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:24 pm

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

What a film, gave me goosebumps. I find it hard to understand the naysayers like Quentin "Uno Farto" Tarantino's outrage.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:24 pm

FWWM is a masterpiece.

Tarantino said this of it:

"After I saw Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me at Cannes, David Lynch had disappeared so far up his own ass that I have no desire to see another David Lynch movie until I hear something different. And you know, I loved him. I loved him."

He should fucking talk. He lives inside his own ass.

Kazuki_Fuse
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:36 pm

War For the Planet of the Apes- Fantastic film, without a doubt the best in an already amazing trilogy. Seriously, Andy Serkis should win the first Oscar for a CGI character. I have no doubt I'll be going to see this once more before the theatrical run ends.
Avatar: Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore
"Surprise is an insubstantial blade, a sword worthless in war. It breaks when troops rally, it snaps when commanders hold the line, but fear never fades. So let the enemy know we come, let their fears defeat them as everything falls dark, as the worlds sun sets, as the city is wreathed in its final night. Let ten thousand howls promise ten thousand claws. The Night Lords are coming, and no soul that stands against us shall see another dawn"
-excerpt from The Tenebrous Path

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:50 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:He lives inside his own ass.

Speaking of asses.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

FrDougal9000
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:37 pm

Was very bored yesterday, so I picked a random film from a list on Netflix and watched it: Not Another Teen Movie, a 2001 comedy that takes every single high-school movie cliché and exaggerates it to hell and back. The plot is basically She's All That, to the point where Chris Evans and Chyler Leigh look almost exactly like Freddie Prinze Jr. and Rachel Leigh Cook's characters respectively, with smatterings of 10 Things I Hate About You, Cruel Intentions and countless other movies from the teen movie genre and film in general.

Granted, I haven't seen most of these films, but I was more than aware of the tropes that I've seen done to death elsewhere, and enjoyed seeing them all come together in all their insanity. The token black guy who says black guy things? Check. The horny dorks trying to get laid? Check. The sports star with a tragic backstory? Check. Prom nights with choreographed dancers, a party where one incredibly minor act is framed as horrifying to the point of everything coming to a halt, reuniting at an airport to give a corny speech; it's all here, and I love it.

Much like how Airplane! works by cramming in every storytelling cliché associated with disaster films and making them incredibly ludicrous while staying genuine, Not Another Teen Movie works by treating its source material with a good deal of reverence, but playing them up to be intentionally funny (whereas typical teen movies are unintentionally funny for their melodrama). It also helps that there's a good deal of background gags that you might miss, a surprisingly great soundtrack (complete with awesome musical number), and a whole ton of shout-outs that nevertheless can still be appreciated without knowing the source material.

Be warned; it seems to be a 'love it or hate it' kind of film, and the opening is a lot more risqué compared to the rest of the film, so don't be surprised if you don't end up liking the film. For me at least, it turned out to be a good deal better than I was expecting, and it's certainly a much better send-up movie than Kung Pow! Enter the Fist.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:04 pm

I've always loved that one. I love comedies that don't have an ironic tone and just let things be funny because they're funny.

It completely rips apart the teen movie without being mean to the teen movie.

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:07 pm

There's nothing wrong with really stupid comedy. But, like everything else it needs to be done well.
Not Another Teen Movie is really stupid comedy done really well. The line "She's got paint on her overalls!" is something me and my friends still will randomly work into nights of fun drinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXYlv-z_xHQ

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:31 am

Baby Driver is the best summer movie since Mad Max Fury Road. If you can only see one summer film this year, skip the MCU and watch Baby Driver instead.
The Sequels to Emmanuel God With Us
I AM
Part 1 | Part 2
Coming 2016
Watch Announcement Here

silvermoonlight
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:07 pm

Passengers-2016

To avoid ranting I will just say avoid this movie like its the plague, its a very bad unbelievable piece of sci fi.

SPOILER: Show
This movie brings up a really dark moral concept of waking someone up intentionally but doesn't have the balls to do the follow through and ultimately rewards Prats character for doing a terrible act which would ruin Lawrence's characters life and would mean that she could never ever trust him again as long as he lived. If they had kept the original twilight zone twist ending intended which was him dying and Lawrence's character having to wake up another person intentionally and framed it as a horror/stalker thriller it would have worked brilliantly but it doesn't work at all as a believable healthy romance and to top this all off the characters do nothing to fix the ship which is clearly going wrong and getting worse over time. All they care about is having sex and drinking, its just crazy then suddenly its like we gotta fix this in the last few minutes..
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

chazthesilencer
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:34 am

View Original PostKazuki_Fuse wrote:War For the Planet of the Apes

Do the apes still sign? Or are they all speaking now?
Depending on the answer- I may have to wait till I'm back in Britland before watching this one.
Can't read Polish subtitles yet, or understand ape-sign for that matter...
EGF's best posts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

A blog I sometimes write something about stuff on

Kazuki_Fuse
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:36 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Do the apes still sign? Or are they all speaking now?
Depending on the answer- I may have to wait till I'm back in Britland before watching this one.
Can't read Polish subtitles yet, or understand ape-sign for that matter...

Caesar speaks fluently now. Most of them still sign though. Maurice speaks a few times and there's a new ape that talks alot and provides most of the comedic relief.
Avatar: Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore
"Surprise is an insubstantial blade, a sword worthless in war. It breaks when troops rally, it snaps when commanders hold the line, but fear never fades. So let the enemy know we come, let their fears defeat them as everything falls dark, as the worlds sun sets, as the city is wreathed in its final night. Let ten thousand howls promise ten thousand claws. The Night Lords are coming, and no soul that stands against us shall see another dawn"
-excerpt from The Tenebrous Path

Return to “Film and Video”