What would've you done different with Mari?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: What would've you done different with Mari?

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:32 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:@ Chuckman, Cybermat:

:asuka_stare:

I hope there is a hell so that you boys can spend the rest of eternity being forced to do laps in the nude around one of its lower circles, with massive mammaries attached to your pectoral walls and sports bras enticingly dangled always just beyond your reach.

That sounds fun, I'll commission an artist to draw that.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:51 am

... OP, I'm sorry. I honestly didn't expect to derail this thread with this thing. It was supposed to be a minor issue at most, because I didn't feel like just saying "oh, I'd do this, but I can't because the structure of the movies and screentime doesn't allow it", as that seemed kinda pointless to do.
My ongoing fanfics: NGE: (Not) the End, Evangelion: Regenesis

Winking Mari makes my heart go doki doki
We're all Asuka-fanboys? I take great exception to that. It's Mari I want to plow nine ways from Sunday, if you don't mind.

What? She's 28 now.

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:07 am

View Original PostFyrstorm wrote:... OP, I'm sorry. I honestly didn't expect to derail this thread with this thing. It was supposed to be a minor issue at most, because I didn't feel like just saying "oh, I'd do this, but I can't because the structure of the movies and screentime doesn't allow it", as that seemed kinda pointless to do.

You don't need to apologise, we're the ones who latched on to it and started joking around... which then turned into a serious discussion about breast support in plugsuits and the resources that Wille has at it's disposal...

This forum does strange things to me.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:22 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:@ Chuckman, Cybermat:

:asuka_stare:

I hope there is a hell so that you boys can spend the rest of eternity being forced to do laps in the nude around one of its lower circles, with massive mammaries attached to your pectoral walls and sports bras enticingly dangled always just beyond your reach.

Okay she has point here...large breasts do cause back pain and it not a laughing matter and some women have to get reductions, because it can really impact there lives (No pun intended) It something anime constantly ignores and kind of shouldn't. Don't get me wrong I enjoy fan service but there are times when I just go those breasts would cause that real woman harm and her life would be pain.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:36 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Okay she has point here...large breasts do cause back pain and it not a laughing matter and some women have to get reductions, because it can really impact there lives (No pun intended) It something anime constantly ignores and kind of shouldn't. Don't get me wrong I enjoy fan service but there are times when I just go those breasts would cause that real woman harm and her life would be pain.

I see. I didn't mean any offense, but I apologise if I caused any.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:36 am

View Original PostCybermat47 wrote:I see. I didn't mean any offense, but I apologise if I caused any.

No worries and I wasn't offended as I know media doesn't talk about it that much so not everyone knows about it ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:45 am

Speaking in-universe, I cannot imagine how an organization headed by Misato and a handful of other women (Ritsuko and Maya seem to have some leadership roles of some kind) wouldn't have some form of breast support as a priority in all plugsuits.

To this day I cannot get my head around the wobble-age of Mari's mammeries in that shot. The shot itself is fine. It's a graphic-match shot of Mari's Eva Unit, and the low angle and composition of the shot allows the viewers to see both Mari/the Unit and Shinji's falling Unit 13 simultaneously.

I guess Khara realized late on the game that they went the whole film without a Gainax Bounce, so they overcompensated in that one shot. Beyond that, I have literally no clue why it's animated in that way.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:28 am

Anno probably liked the sense of movement given by the bouncing titties, they are the only moving thing in the shot (well Mari is moving too but it's a fixed block going back and forth).

Or maybe he wanted bouncing titties period, titties are great and makes everything better. [It was joke if it wasn't clear enough]
Last edited by Joseki on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:33 am

Joseki, please don't send me even deeper into absolute despair for humanity.

It's probably time to put a foot down and ask that we get back on topic. No more circlejerking about one of the most common fetishes, please. There's a time and a place, loves.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:26 am

Can we discuss the shot and why Anno would put such a shot in there without going into much detail about the breast?
The choice of having it right in the climax of the movie is odd enough to raise a few questions about fanservice and such, and it's linked to Mari's role in the movies.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:12 pm

I'd say more general interactions with other chars, ones that don't revolve around combat. I mean the only time she talked to someone outside of combat was with Shinji when she boob slammed him as she arrived. I personally don't care that much about her background as she doesn't need a tragic or thorough background story, just simple interactions with those around her to see where she fits in and where she stands.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Mari? Mari who?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:10 am

Mari feels to me like a comic relief character whose central joke is being a generic action hero in a world where such a thing shouldn't exist. I'd try to build upon that in some way.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”