Moments When You Hated/Were Frustrated With Characters

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: at which point were you most angry/frustrated/disappointed with a character

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:06 pm

View Original PostSettie wrote:For me its NTE Kaworu, it's hard for me to tell if he's suppose to be a good guy type character or not. He offers happiness to Shinji and presents himself as his friend, but there's creepy underhanded manipulative undertones to his interactions with Shinji that makes me doubt if he truly cares about him and is not just some selfish self anointed purpose, that only he can bring him happiness regardless of its cost and consequence to everything else. It's a shame cause i really like NGE Kaworu.

To me, this is one of the best parts about NTE Kaworu. He's so brilliantly written, that on first glance he really does appear to be friendly and selfless to a fault. However, peel back the layers, and his motives become highly questionable. He is the serpent of temptation.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:48 pm

He was giving creepy stalker vibes as early as 1.11. Anything in 3.33 was going to be too good to be true.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:50 pm

I didn't get stalker vibes in 1.0 but I did get them in the post credits scene of 2.0, he seemed really pissed that Shinji did what he did.

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:22 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I didn't get stalker vibes in 1.0 but I did get them in the post credits scene of 2.0, he seemed really pissed that Shinji did what he did.

Jealous of Rei, perhaps? :P
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:06 pm

^ Yandare Kaworu? Guess i'm just disappointed that it feels like his arc is unfinished but now with him being dead and all it doesn't seem like i'll get closure on that, unless ghost-Kaworu shows up in the last movie. I get his motivation (Shinji) but not the why behind it, i wanted more from him in 3.0.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:14 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I didn't get stalker vibes in 1.0

Well, you've got this naked dude standing in a coffin in the vacuum of space talking to a magical floating monolith about mysterious plans that involve Shinji "awakening" according to schedule, and then smirking to himself and saying "BOY I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU AGAIN, IKARI SHINJI-KUN". Anybody (let alone an ominous nudist space vampire) who is paying that much attention to me from that far away and practically licking his lips in anticipation of meeting me is a fucking creepy stalker.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:33 am

The fact that he woke up on the Moon naked from a coffin and he was able to speak makes it look less important I guess. The stalker-like behavior is not the first, second or third thing I'd question here.

View Original PostSettie wrote:^ Yandare Kaworu? Guess i'm just disappointed that it feels like his arc is unfinished but now with him being dead and all it doesn't seem like i'll get closure on that, unless ghost-Kaworu shows up in the last movie. I get his motivation (Shinji) but not the why behind it, i wanted more from him in 3.0.

Well Kaworu said to Shinji that they'll meet again, and in EoE he had an important role even if he was dead. I think it's quite probable that he will have at least some screentime and a few lines in Shin.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 am

From my perspective, all of the other weirdness supplements, rather than detracts, from Kaworu's creepy obsession. A regular stalker would be one thing, but Kaworu takes the art to the level of Lovecraftian horror.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:50 pm

I have the opposite view on the matter: he's so alien that his instant obsession seems due to some kind of superior (previous?) knowledge of Shinji and the future events instead of a stalking desire.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:05 am

^

Plus, in Q we actually get to see what he's like when he's not in control, perhaps because he works with Shinji on a more equal level toward a common goal. Shinji finds out more than he ever did in the original, Kaworu is already on his side as opposed to being won over at the last second, & what distance/inequality remains is a plot point in the end.
We see him melancholy about having to tell Shinji the whole truth, a bit helpless about being unable to comfort him, and shocked/ flabbergasted when he realizes the trap or when he speaks about how he used to be feared by humans...

He probably felt just as guilty for leading Shinji into a trap as Shinji does for getting him killed, or rather, probably blamed himself for the poor outcome as much as Shinji did. (Indeed, Shinji was appropriately cautious... but Kaworu talked him into giving his plan a shot.) There was always that aspect where "I don't understand what you're saying, Kaworu-kun!" but this time its a plot point: They react right past each other when the trap becomes apparent and that's precisely why it snaps shut.

The impression is more that he's interested in & admires humanity but doesn't fully understand or, is looking in from an outsider's PoV.

IMHO the very reason he felt so drawn to Shinji (in any continuity) is that they're both destined to destroy the world, or make a choice as to wether their kind will continue to exist or not. Kaworu decides "No more angels", and Shinji, though he gave intrumentality a shot, ends up deciding "Yes, more humans.".
As Kaworu himself says when he introduces himelf (in either continuity) he is "also one of the predetermined children."
Kaworu's all about free will and wanting his own destiny - that death is the only option sometimes is more of a secondary factor. In the words of Shakespeare, "If all else fails, I myself have power to die"

NGE Kaworu is itroduced as different & realizes similarity. (So's his manga counterpart in a different way)
Rebuild Kaworu, at least by the time of Q, already sees the similarity but ends up overlooking how they're different. See how he casually strides through the ruined world while Shinji struggles in his hazard suit, & Kaworu has to remember to stop & help him up, though he eventually does.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Moments where you hated characters you usually like

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Shinji in EoE and Ritsuko for being emo mode because Gendo doesn't give a fuck abouth her (girl, it's Gendo...).
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:44 pm

Shinji in the hosbital room and not coming to Asuka's aid during the mass eva fight (EOE) Thank god for the Manga.
Asuka calling Shinji a house broken male yeah I get that she has issues with gender rigidity but he's the guy who makes breakfast and cooks for her and cleans and its really disrespectful.
Gendo touching up Rei in EOE to give her Adam made me feel deeply uncomfortable.
Misato flirting with Shinji he's 14 and has mental trauma and its not healthy for him and needed a her to be a mother figure or mentor, I get why Misato does it she wants to feel wanted and desired but trying to gain this though a young boy is not right.
Ritsuko killing the tank of Rei's because its so cold blooded and in the manga there a horrifying shot where the Rei's look at the kill switch in terror as if they know what coming which implies there not soulless.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:00 pm

Asuka throughout the entire series, and in Rebuild. She is probably the most dishonorable character in the show with no ounce of respect to others, including those trying to reach out to her. If she can't be nice or repay other people's kindness, then how is it that she is even worthy or deserving of any sympathy? Everything that has happened to her, she brought it upon herself. All of her choices is what led her to her downfall and defeat. I'm not sure if she made any self improvements after Instrumentality, if she even did.

I never even liked Gendo, for everything that he did. I say he had what's coming to him. He, like the members of SEELE, is a man worthy of beheading, or other form of execution. :guillotine:

Then there's the entire crew of the Wunder (except for Sakura and Mari). I know they had their reasons to despise Shinji for what he did. But still, I think there should be hell to pay for them. There are sometimes where I feel like doing this to them.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxL8bVJhXCM&t=23s
A tad extreme, I know. But after watching the third film and piratically feeling like being in Shinji shoes, who doesn't want to something like that to them.
I don't know how the final film will end. But if they don't give Shinji and explanation or make up for how they treated him, Well then, all I can say is that I kinda hope something bad might happen to the crew of the Wunder, namely some people in particular. :devil:
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:11 pm

^I think you should read the title of the thread more carefully.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:51 pm

In that case, Asuka then. I think her attitude could use some more work. Because maybe then, I might actually like her some more. And maybe even respect her.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:17 pm

EoE!Shinji, for the things he did to Asuka. Outside of that, nothin' comes to mind.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:38 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:In that case, Asuka then. I think her attitude could use some more work. Because maybe then, I might actually like her some more. And maybe even respect her.

The thread is about moments you hated characters you normally like. Not characters you thoroughly dislike.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:28 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:The thread is about moments you hated characters you normally like. Not characters you thoroughly dislike.

Well, there is a part of me that actually likes her. It's​ mostly her personality I don't really like.

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:18 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Well, there is a part of me that actually likes her. It's​ mostly her personality I don't really like.

Surely a character is defined by their personality?
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:48 am

View Original PostCybermat47 wrote:Surely a character is defined by their personality?

A character is defined by what it does through the show. And bear in mind Asuka does not always do things that matches her real being, her true personality. Her cunt personality can be a little distracting, but I love the character anyways. Don't mind if she is a cunt, it's not like I was perfect and nice all the time... She's not a cunt-and-that's-it.
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”