What manga are you reading right now?

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What manga are you reading right now?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:34 pm

The Nogi Wakaba wa Yuusha de aru manga, and it's finally reached that chapter

SPOILER: Show

Every fucking day. Every single fucking day when i go out into the jukai this giant faggot just floats there and gives me this stupid look on his face. What should i do about him? Ideas?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Berserk

I'm at the chapter where they meet the loli witch and fight against trolls.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:02 am

I've finished Devilman, Shin Devilman and Devilman Lady and it was a ride. Go Nagais writing style is very excentric? at times, but most of the time it doesn't detract from the overall experience.
The art is also weird at times, the anatomy of the characters can be wonky but such missteps aresuplanted by some wonderful paneling in the action scenes and other key moments, along with some more experimental moments were the art becomes very distorted.

The endings of Devilman and Lady are certain to be very divisive as they move at incredible speed and end at curious points. It'll definitely not satisfy everybody, but I enjoyed them.

I find it a hard series to recommend, but it's such a unique experience that I fell that it's worth at least a shot.

Made in Abyss: I'm not going to lie, the reason I decided to read the manga was because I heard the manga was going to censor loli nipples and that is unacceptable. Anyway, as the episodes that are out of the anime show, the source material is of excellent quality, and seems to get better with every chapter, with some fans being saddened by the fact the anime won't reach the (so far) best arc in the manga.

Unless lolis and shotas getting naked and abused turns you off, you should give this one a chance.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:37 am

So I'm 90 Chapters into Zetman and I hate to say this but I think this is the first time Masakazu Katsura has done me wrong. I love Masakazu Katsura, a lot, but this manga has been insane. It was a series of randomly intercut time skips and characters until around Chapter 85, seriously. This really is Katsura's take on Inazuman or perhaps even Wolverine, he's a pretty big fan of western comics, but it seems he's had too many ideas for way too long and they're all piling out too quickly. I know I should finish a manga before I pass judgement on it but it was getting so over the top silly that I put it down for about a month and am just starting to read it again. I try to finish any finished manga I start so I'll power through this eventually but I'm already wishing I could start reading my Transformers comics instead.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:01 am

Lily Love
Another shoujo ai one but this is really good because its funny in places I also like the creators sot of shifts from the normal narrative and takes it in a slightly different direction to most manga's of this type and doesn't go with all parents are happy about having gay children as it felt more realistic. It also has some moments where its just really awkward between the main characters and helps in the story telling.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Sun May 20, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:53 am

Well, just read the FLCL manga omnibus. It's short (one sitting), but good story. One issue: If you're not familiar with the manga's artstyle, it's kinda like this:

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it can make the fast-paced action scenes very confusing, as half the time I had no idea what was happening there. That's only in the robot fights, though; outside of that, I enjoyed!
There's also a bonus story at the end, which is a dramatization of the adaptation process of the anime into manga form. And a pictorially told omake of the manga. Kinda interesting, but a bit thick. That is, I couldn't really get it on first read.
I'd rate it a 8/10.

Currently reading the Azumanga Daioh manga omnibus (I love omnibi. I hate having to spend money on multiple volumes of a series). This is funny :). I love it. I read Nichijou recently, and Nichijou feels kind of like a deconstruction of AD in retrospect. However, I prefer the original. Just beautiful humor.

(Due to my Eva-geekiness, I've been automatically fitting AD's characters into Eva molds (no matter how little it makes sense). Currently:

Yukari-sensei = Misato (terrible driving, laid-back, easily gets emotional, Misato actually WAS a very Yukari-like teacher in EoTV''s AU)
Kurosawa-sensei = Ritsuko (basically the opposite of Yukari, and plays a Ritsuko-like role in their relationship. Cooler head, more mature, etc.)
Osaka = Shinji (kind of shy, I guess?)
Tomo = Asuka (competitive, energetic, mischievous)
Yomi = Kensuke (glasses?)
Sakaki = Kaworu (because of her love for kittens :shifty:)
Chiyo = Rei ("Wonder-girl" and all that))
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:47 am

I'm reading Prison School because of the famous "Ass or boobs?" scene, I was expecting a light hearted comedy about school but I've got great characters and emotional moments instead. It's really strange to laugh a lot with stupid tits jokes and then feel your heart racing for the characters. It's a very good romantic comedy.
Last edited by Joseki on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zeruss
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruss » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:56 am

I caved and finished reading one that has been "discreetly" recommended to me a lot (which isn't usually a good sign), My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness.

It's... it's mainly what the title says: an autobiographical manga that deals in part with depression, food disorders, self-harm, self-care, self-esteem, suicidal thoughts, unemployment, anxiety, getting old, adulthood, gender and sexuality--The whole thing, eh.

I've been trying to read it by bits, because it makes my stomach turn and want to vomit and makes me want to cry pathetically every few pages (I almost called a friend at 2am to ask for their company because I got some intrusive thoughts going on, but that is absolutely ridiculous behaviour coming from and adult like me! Can you imagine?! HAHAHAHa... ha.. ah... I managed alone); the first chapters... they remind me of myself so much, it's disgusting. I've not felt this naked and vulnerable since I read Punpun, and that was another rollercoaster of constant heart-wrenching emotional pain via personal empathy, and perhaps the worst I've felt in my entire life while consuming a piece of media. Well, that and this. I hate you, Punpun. (not really, I love you; take care)

Anyways, it was quite the ride for me.
Give it a look, it's sorta quirky, brutally honest, and funny at times--I highly recommended it (also not a good sign).

I hate when something makes me feel like this. I hate (love) it, and I hate myself for it.
I'm gonna eat the largest tub of ice cream I can find, pass out, and hopefully forget about all this mess.
I'm a lurker at heart.

JungFreud
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JungFreud » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:39 pm

Gundam Sousei

As expected, the manga is about the production of the 1979 MSG.
Somehow the story ressembles a lot of the production of Eva :emogendo:

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:24 pm

How so?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:15 am

My Hero Academia's Latest Chapter Just Came Out

It looks like Belly Button Boy is the traitor. Crap. I had my money bet on Tooru the Invisible Girl.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:21 am

Or this may be a diversion...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:51 pm

I'm reading a manga that I tried to read a while back, and quit: Elfen Lied. I thought maybe I just wasn't ready for it back then, so I decided to give it another go and finish it this time.
Do I think it's good? Not really. All of the characters are one-dimensional cardboard cutouts, the awesome premise (killer mutants with stretchy invisible hands) is wasted on dumb harem shenanigans, and even though it loves to talk big about being morally ambiguous, pretty much everyone is either pure good or pure evil. There are some good ideas in there though, like the whole idea of the Diclonius hierarchy, but they're not really representative of the series as a whole.
Now, I don't hate this manga quite as much as, say, Lucky Star, mostly because it at least tells a story instead of just showing people doing random things. But it's definitely not the high-concept, artsy manga it's fans seem to think it is. Elfen Lied hasn't stood the test of time in any way, shape, or form.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:31 am

So, I've actually finished reading Elfen Lied, and believe it or not my opinion on it has changed somewhat. I still think it is by no means a "good" manga, objectively speaking; the art quality leaves a lot to be desired and the moral of the story is anything but subtle. And my point about it being a shameless product of its time still stands. All things considered, I won't be rereading it, nor will I probably watch the anime.
That being said, I did find myself enjoying it because of those flaws. See, I have a certain fondness for horror movies, TV shows, and books that are shamelessly ridiculous, the kind that go out of their way to be excessively violent to such a degree that it becomes almost comical. In other words, if you're into schlocky, ultra-violent horror movies with low production values and hammy dialogue-- movies like Sharknado and Snakes on a Train-- then you'll get a kick out of Elfen Lied. It's gory and gruesome, yes, but it's also hokey, cheesy, ridiculously over the top, and takes itself way too seriously for its own good. It's the manga equivalent of a SyFy Original Movie, and should be regarded as such.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:17 am

Ancient Magus Bride

It's serene, it's weird, it's surreal, it's got creepy monsters, and creepy implications. I love it.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:33 am

Incidentally, it's another one of those series that I've tried and don't see what all the fuss is about. Come to think of it, I have a long record of disliking manga and anime series that everyone else seems to like.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:47 pm

I was initially kind of skeptical of it because. . . Well when you see the cover of a book with a girl wearing nothing but a slightly too small shirt with a chain around their neck being hugged by a man with a deer skull for a head? Well I was just worried it could have easily degenerated into Bdsm smut. Fortunately so far it hasnt. Though there is still the elephant in the room of Elias basically grooming a 15 year old to be his bride when she becomes legal banging age.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:when she becomes legal banging age.
..in a few months.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:30 pm

I just started reading The Promised Neverland, and you know what it reminds me of, right from the first chapter? Freaking Sausage Party. That's right, the Seth Rogen movie. Seriously-- the protagonists live in a utopian society governed by a belief that they will one day be "chosen" to leave, but they don't realize that they're actually eaten when they get taken away. Only instead of a bunch of hot dogs and buns in a supermarket, it's a group of children raised in a deceptively saccharine-looking boarding school.
And it is awesome.

In other news, Futago no Teikoku (the latest manga by the creator of Narutaru and Bokurano) is being translated again. It's now on its eighth chapter.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:29 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:..in a few months.

The story takes place in the UK. I think it's safe to say they aren't as forgiving of that sort of thing as Japan is.

Return to “Anime and Manga”