FML general thread [8]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: FML general thread [8]

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:09 am

Exercising your powers of observation just a little seems like far less trouble than getting amped up and disappointed over nothing. I wonder if you don't just enjoy engaging in and then complaining about your easily avoided feats of fan-masochism. From over here, it feels far more likely than the alternative.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:31 pm

and my new refrigerator of less than two years is broken, and all my food is Room temperature. Fan-freaking-tastic.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Ugh, that genuinely does suck. Did you not notice the problem until it was too late to save anything?

Keeping a cooler around -- medium-large size is good, if you live in a tiny place like me and my bf -- is a good precaution. Something happens to the fridge (aside from a regional blackout), you can at least get ice from the store and toss in the most expensive food. (This would work for a lot of my food, but maybe not so well for omnivores? I understand meat is rather sensitive to spoilage.) Knowing someone relatively close by who'd be able to spare some space for your stuff on a temporary basis is also good. Can't say I've got that part squared away here, but back at my parent's we've got my aunt's house about fifteen minutes away.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:03 am

View Original PostRay wrote:and my new refrigerator of less than two years is broken, and all my food is Room temperature. Fan-freaking-tastic.

You were lucky, it could have happened while you were on a vacation and you would have found all sorts of maggots and flies partying hard in there.

Zeak
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Zeak » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:01 am

Got knocked off my bike on the way home tonight. 150kg landing in your right foot don't feel the best. Luckily no damage to my bike. Taxi drove into me when I was stopped. Said it was okay because his indicator was on.
Currently sitting in emergency
Writer and Lead animator of Cold Heart
webpage

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:58 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:14 am

Brother and a friend of his moved in about a month ago, things have been uneventful save for the pet situation. I have two cats and they have one who is much younger and a very big dog. Both of which are extremely energetic and want to "play" with my cats who despise these new invaders, despite this, my brother will consistently criticize one of mine for being an "asshole" for no reason. One of them, Mordred will be minding his own business until his cat comes along and tries to play with him, Mordred does a light swat and a hiss and the dog comes along and causes Mordred to run away, but supposedly Mordred was in the wrong according to my brother. Same situation today where Bruce tries to play, Mordred hisses him away and he tries to say Bruce was on the defensive because Mordred was trying to steal the food he leaves out for Bruce despite Mordred being nowhere near the room with the food.

Mordred is objectively the victim yet he refuses to acknowledge his cat having any potential instigation on the matter.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:22 am

I can't blame someone for assuming malfeasance on the part of "Mordred".
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:04 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I can't blame someone for assuming malfeasance on the part of "Mordred".

Ironically Mordred is a lazy cry baby who's afraid of everything. Making it more baffling that he would be responsible for being the aggressor.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:17 am

Ever feel anxious and pressed for time, desperate to get done what needs to be done, only to be completely and utterly crushed existentially once there's finally free time? Why am I so eager to clock off work and go home? There's nothing for me at home except for empty pass-times. A lot of the time, I end up oversleeping during my time off. When did I become so tired? My free time becomes forfeit, and the next thing I know it's time to go back to work. Do I work to have a life, or do I live to have a job? I'm not sure what I live for anymore. When I'm not busy, I realize just how empty my life really is. Sometimes I just want to sleep forever.

EDIT: do you ever tell yourself you hate yourself, but continually deny it as some immature attempt on your part to get attention? Then you never tell anyone. And it builds. And festers. Until you fake it for so long, that it consumes you. And suddenly, everything you do is fake. You can't answer a straight question, because the natural response is to lie and say it's okay. You can't say how you feel, because what right do you have to influence anything around you? You do as you're told, so you won't get yelled at anymore. Blame yourself for things that happened years ago, while everybody else in the world moves on. You do it for so long, that every once in a while something breaks. Whatever it is. It could be a part of yourself, or something fragile close by. Doesn't matter. You do something to justify the pain because you feel you deserve it. You sow the pain upon yourself and reap the consequences. You push others away. You hurt yourself. You perpetuate the cycle. Because in your heart you know this is what you deserve. And then finally, there's nothing left. Nobody left to push away, and nothing personal left to throw away. You're just a hollow shell of your former self. Still breathing, still moving, but no longer living. You've faked it for so long, that your body has gone on without you. Now look at you.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:26 pm

It sounds like your work is pretty soul destroying -- using up your energy without exciting any passion. I would also guess that your diet is pretty sketchy, because catering for one when you're knocking on empty like that is just a chore. And generally what you say indicates you don't really do much basic self-maintenance, so it all becomes one vicious circle.

Strictly, what you really need is a wife. But let's start with the easy stuff instead -- like taking a decent multivitamin with trace nutrients, especially things like omega-3; my own personal experience with this sort of thing is that they can have a significant positive impact, even against underlying conditions, and it doesn't require much effort or willpower.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Telling a stressed person that what they need is a wife to help take care of them is phenomenally bad advice.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:20 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:I'm not sure what I live for anymore. When I'm not busy, I realize just how empty my life really is.

But it may not be really, even though you may aspire to more than you have. Your interests in anime (this one, at least), films and games are real. Is there no place you could go to try to share at least one of these with other people? Not with a view to more than just that, of course - sharing an interest, and hence, at times, not being alone. Or (whether it really interests you or not) maybe a cooking class or club which might help improve your diet as well as providing occasional company.

Oh, and +1 for what Gob said. Frankly I'm astounded that in this day and age that could be said in any kind of seriousness.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:42 pm

Thanks. I really appreciate the advice. You guys actually hit the nail on the head regarding the diet thing. I'm quite finnicky about food, and probably more so about spending money on food. Perhaps a good place to start would be to devote more care into my diet and actually making sure I get a decent three-meal-a-day thing going on. I really need to figure myself a routine outside of work to keep me moving, but I usually devolve into something completely unstructured relatively quickly. I hate waking up early.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Fresh fruits and vegetables can't be stressed enough. Starting the day with yogurts or grains (especially oatmeal) has a surprising effect on energy and mood.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Well, Sachi, do you have any other things you like to do? Some sort of goals you might set for yourself... Perhaps an exercise regimen? Or picking up a musical instrument? (Don't pick up the piano. Heavy.)
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:53 pm

@Gob, @pw
Telling them that having a life partner who would be a reason for living is a bad idea?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:13 pm

He needs to address his feelings for himself first; and also the way you put it was ... well, not how I would approach the matter.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:17 pm

Tines: Yes! It's an INCREDIBLY bad idea!

Trying to find a life partner while having trouble finding a reason to get up in the morning, while stressed, is basically putting your stresses on another person while taking on theirs. It can be very fulfilling to have a life partner, but it is also something that carries with it extra responsibilities and strain that being single does not. If a person has enough trouble just getting through the day alone, how much more will they have trying to keep track of their own lives while focusing on someone else's?

Getting a life partner to make yourself feel better is like opening a mortgage because you're in debt.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:18 am

Well, shit. I just feel... lonely, I guess. I have friends, but I feel like I'm missing that romantic connection with someone.

I don't really know how I'd go about it. SomI just go up to a girl and ask? How can I be sure they're the right person for me? How can they be sure I'm the right person for them? Is anyone even attracted to me that way? Am I willing to risk the possibility of being hurt by rejection?

Shit.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”