From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Postby amitakartok » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:50 am

For some reason, I recently had this mental image of Shinji quoting Lelouch Lamperouge.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:36 am

Something that came up relatively recently.

Would it be possible for Rei to develop an Asuka-esque unhealthy fixation at being the best pilot if her desire to fulfill her purpose overpowers her loyalty to Gendo? That is, she wants to be the best because that gets her to fulfilling her purpose (and consequently being allowed to perma-die) the fastest - not to mention that if there is someone better than her, she risks being declared obsolete and consequently not being able to fulfill her purpose.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:59 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Something that came up relatively recently.

Would it be possible for Rei to develop an Asuka-esque unhealthy fixation at being the best pilot if her desire to fulfill her purpose overpowers her loyalty to Gendo? That is, she wants to be the best because that gets her to fulfilling her purpose (and consequently being allowed to perma-die) the fastest - not to mention that if there is someone better than her, she risks being declared obsolete and consequently not being able to fulfill her purpose.

Yes I think that's possible having just read Nobody Dies fanfiction where she's kind of a crazy nut ball though I think to make this happen you need Ritsuko or Misato to be very behind her as a positive parent figure and for not to live a shit hole apartment and have her own hobbies as it would give her confidence to answer back and follow this path even though its negative. You could even take it further in that her peers are filling her head with ideas that if she for fills her purpose she will become a god in the flesh as this could feed in to a negative obsession with power.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:04 pm

Actually, I was thinking that in order to maximize the irony factor, Gendo actually does consider and treat Rei as a surrogate daughter instead of a tool, or at least tries to. Problem is, Rei finds it annoying - not only he's not letting her die until she has achieved her purpose, he wants to distract and delay her too? Hell, why is he even caring considering that she's going to die anyway?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:27 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Actually, I was thinking that in order to maximize the irony factor, Gendo actually does consider and treat Rei as a surrogate daughter instead of a tool, or at least tries to. Problem is, Rei finds it annoying - not only he's not letting her die until she has achieved her purpose, he wants to distract and delay her too? Hell, why is he even caring considering that she's going to die anyway?

You know what that sounds like an awesome idea I'd like to read that just to see Gendo struggle with her as you have some real black comedy in places like "Oh gee thanks dad but I died twice already don't you have any thing better to do than get in my personal space?" Then have Gendo reply with some utter weird shit like "Would you like your next body to have long hair or be taller anything to please my little girl." followed by her tapping her cheek and her pulling her away really sharply. :D
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:53 pm

She wouldn't be quite that different.

I mean, yeah, making characters act out-of-character to throw a curveball at readers who know the source material is kinda my specialty, but I have to throw a bone to readers that don't quite like that kind of thing.

RadicalRandy
Adam

Postby RadicalRandy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:18 pm

I think it would be possible to have Rei have some sort of fixation on piloting, to some extent. I was actually rewatching Episode 6 for my fic, and I noticed that when Shinji asks her why she pilots, she responds with that being all she has and that it is her connection to life.

Spice it up a little bit and I think it would create an very interesting story.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Rei's focus on being no.1 would definitely be played as an unhealthy thing.

As in, she gets into a fistfight with Shinji when he achieves a higher sync ratio than her.

RadicalRandy
Adam

Postby RadicalRandy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:33 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Rei's focus on being no.1 would definitely be played as an unhealthy thing.

Okay, okay, that *might work.

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:As in, she gets into a fistfight with Shinji when he achieves a higher sync ratio than her.

uhhh...
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:11 pm

^
Well to be fair to Amita, she does have the act like a b**** gets slapped like a b**** mentality. She ain't afraid to hit Shinji.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:08 pm

Quite so. Though in this case, it was less of a straight-up punching match and more like punching occasionally interrupted by messily slamming each other into the locker room's various objects.

Since Rei trained for combat her entire life, she was faster and more coordinated, which forced Shinji to quite literally hit below the belt in order to win. Which, by the way, immediately earned him getting his face smashed into a locker by Asuka because Wondergirl or not, you simply do not kick a girl in the crotch for the express purpose of making her quiver on the ground in pain. Asuka would've been perfectly content just standing in the background and enjoying the show - indeed, that was what she was doing the whole time -, but that one move instantly provoked her righteous wrath.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:38 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Quite so. Though in this case, it was less of a straight-up punching match and more like punching occasionally interrupted by messily slamming each other into the locker room's various objects.

Since Rei trained for combat her entire life, she was faster and more coordinated, which forced Shinji to quite literally hit below the belt in order to win. Which, by the way, immediately earned him getting his face smashed into a locker by Asuka because Wondergirl or not, you simply do not kick a girl in the crotch for the express purpose of making her quiver on the ground in pain. Asuka would've been perfectly content just standing in the background and enjoying the show - indeed, that was what she was doing the whole time -, but that one move instantly provoked her righteous wrath.

I gotta ask is Asuka different in this retelling or just like the series? Just curious as I could imagine a more confident Rei being friends with Asuka as she would stand up to her and call her out on her bullshit and thus gain Asuka's respect. Though at same time I could see this being a nightmare for everyone involved because of there very different egos would cause chaos.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:20 pm

Like Shikinami.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:56 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Like Shikinami.

That sounds so great I'm totality on board with this ^_^

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:00 pm

She used to be worse, but what caused her to mellow out is her father kicking the bucket just before she left Germany. Dislike or not, he was her last living blood relative, so she's now well and truly alone.

It's got her in a bit of a funk during her first couple of weeks in Japan. And I'm considering the idea of her actually being quite loaded financially, complete with a family mansion back in Germany, so it's more of a "got nobody to meaningfully talk to" thing than a "what am I going to eat now" thing.

Though if I ever get around to writing it, I run the chance of being crucified for intending to put in a slightly... unconventional main pairing.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:19 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:She used to be worse, but what caused her to mellow out is her father kicking the bucket just before she left Germany. Dislike or not, he was her last living blood relative, so she's now well and truly alone.

It's got her in a bit of a funk during her first couple of weeks in Japan. And I'm considering the idea of her actually being quite loaded financially, complete with a family mansion back in Germany, so it's more of a "got nobody to meaningfully talk to" thing than a "what am I going to eat now" thing.

Though if I ever get around to writing it, I run the chance of being crucified for intending to put in a slightly... unconventional main pairing.

Who is the unconventional main pairing? Just curious.

That story line makes sense in terms of Asuka and the what am I going to eat now? As I made that point in one of fanfictions that she couldn't get proper German food and was always kind of annoyed by it because she misses the taste of home.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:12 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight#862691 wrote:Who is the unconventional main pairing? Just curious.

I always wanted to try my hand at Shinji/Asuka, so that's a given. However, I'm thinking of involving fem!Kaworu as a third - logic being that Asuka's attitude to boyfriends is being glad that she even has one, even if she has to share.

That story line makes sense in terms of Asuka and the what am I going to eat now? As I made that point in one of fanfictions that she couldn't get proper German food and was always kind of annoyed by it because she misses the taste of home.

Well, she has cash to potentially import the ingredients, so that's that.

That said, the full levels of her wealth wouldn't come to light until the very end. Like, post-end epilogue.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:28 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:I always wanted to try my hand at Shinji/Asuka, so that's a given. However, I'm thinking of involving fem!Kaworu as a third - logic being that Asuka's attitude to boyfriends is being glad that she even has one, even if she has to share..

No I think you should go for this because people have been really accepting of Neon Metathesis Evangelion because it written seriously and doesn't dive in unnecessary fan service so I think if you did the same with this story people would come around to it plus the fanfiction needs more Shinji/Asuka/Kaworu stuff in view as its the pairing that gets written the least. ^_^

Well, she has cash to potentially import the ingredients, so that's that.

You could make some fun jokes about that like Nerv getting weird packages to there postal office which is her ingredients and some are very strong smelling though not in gross way just more in a what the hell is this way?

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:15 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:No I think you should go for this because people have been really accepting of Neon Metathesis Evangelion because it written seriously and doesn't dive in unnecessary fan service so I think if you did the same with this story people would come around to it plus the fanfiction needs more Shinji/Asuka/Kaworu stuff in view as its the pairing that gets written the least. ^_^

I've always had trouble coming up with Shinji/Asuka pairings without genderbending because I find them so damn incompatible. I mean, yes, a relationship between them could work out, but the whole point of their characters is that neither would make the first move without breaking character.

Also, I actually stopped reading other people's Eva fanfiction when I started writing my own so as to preempt any possibility of getting the urge to borrow someone else's ideas (which tends to happen when I read something I really like).

You could make some fun jokes about that like Nerv getting weird packages to there postal office which is her ingredients and some are very strong smelling though not in gross way just more in a what the hell is this way?

The only way for that stuff to reach Japan without spoiling (especially with the post-Impact climate) is to stuff it into a refrigerator for the whole journey. Won't have much, if anything, to smell.

Celepito
Embryo

Postby Celepito » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:01 pm

So, I have read through a number of fanfictons, with quiet a few utilizing the idea of Shinji getting transported back in time because of Rei giving him another chance (most often, after the 12th).

Has anyone made one of those where Asuka gets back in time too, or did I simply miss it?
If not, could a talented person give it a try, because it solves some of the problems I have with the 'transported back in time' idea. Like, for example, Shinji still has to explain himself to another person, one which happens to have a relativly central position in the whole ordeal of Instrumentallity. I would also like to see how Asuka would deal with the situation. Would she keep it a secret, or would she go full commando mode? Just imagine enraged Asuka going against unsuspecting Gendo :devil:

If someone writes it, would you be so kind as to make it Shinji/Asuka shipping too, that would be amazing :nyao: , since otherwise it would probably stay as a one time read for me.

Return to “Fanfiction”