FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:42 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The problem with Kadmon's fics is that they're so relentlessly dark they cross the line into self-parody on a regular basis. A Throne of Bayonets and Genocide are much better options IMO (though IIRC the former goes full WAFF in its sequel).

To be fair, Throne of Bayonets did have a pretty BLEAK premise that pretty much permeated throughout the fic, and it's hard to say if Asuka and Shinji were in a better position at the end then when they started. Even Shinji pretty much asked himself "How long can this "relationship" last?" at the end. So, it makes sense for Crown of Stars to go in the opposite direction, though I can't be a critic of it yet as I haven't read it all the way through, but it IS on my "To-Do" list.

Genocide however, is a good balance between Bleak and hopeful, as both Asuka, Rei, and Shinji are in a much better place they were at the beginning, but it wasn't without some pain and sacrifice. It was a healthy balance of struggle and hope. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Geometer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Geometer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:27 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The problem with Kadmon's fics is that they're so relentlessly dark they cross the line into self-parody on a regular basis. A Throne of Bayonets and Genocide are much better options IMO (though IIRC the former goes full WAFF in its sequel).

I've read that and some of Kadmon's other fics and I have to agree. They grimdark and often break the characters, like the one where Ritsuko rapes Shinji or when Rei becomes a psychopath obsessed with making Shinji go berserk. They grimdark for the sake of grim darkness and don't really feel like evangelion. Will take a look at the others though.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:03 pm

If you want good grimdark that isn't as suicidally nihilistic as Kadmon, I recommend works by Verbl Kint 187, specifically "Hopes and Heroes" which is a post Third Impact fic, and "The Lighthouse," which is good but unfinished.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Damn that fanfiction - I've finally finished writing that scene I was stuck at, but I gave myself a major case of the feels in the process.

I'm as guilty of overusing the spirit guide vision trope as everyone else, so I thought it was about time for a twist.
As a result, Kaworu and Rei don't really have any more of a clue how to fix things than anybody else does; They just know it's theoretically possible to break the loop and hope that Shinji can do it - When he calls them out on this in his usual frustrated/bratty/its-not-fair manner and accuses them of just demanding impossible things from him the way that Misato and Gendo do in his subjective present, they turn out to be just as close to their breaking point as he is and get all emotional on him and basically start apologizing for the events of EoE and Q & displaying signs their obvious fondness for him, leaving this version of Shinji - who hasn't even met Kaworu, for one thing, and is suspiciously incapable or unwilling to remember or conclude what exactly caused Third Impact in earlier timelines - rather perplexed and vaguely guilty;
He's on his own and it was only his tendency to want to be "guided" or "saved" that led him to assume someone has the answers.

Basically: "The silver youths before him may have been alike to demigods, but hat also made them demi-human"

(The idea that this means they're in the same boat and should join forces in a more equal fashion, albeit overlooking different realms of action, will occur to him later after some Angel-slaying and an inspirational talk with PresentDay!Misato, but he's not there yet and at my current pace I may not get to that scene in months ^^°)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri May 26, 2017 8:34 am

Like holy shit guys, Unbroken has been updated :huh:
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Fri May 26, 2017 6:58 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Like holy shit guys, Unbroken has been updated :huh:

Certainly a surprise, I just thought that it was forever dead.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

brer rabbit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brer rabbit » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:35 pm

I have heard of a lot of theories as to who Mari Illustrious Makinami could be, Asuka half-sister, a clone of Kyoko Zeppelin Soryu, even an Angel but this one right here has to be the the most... out there theory.

She's Asuka Langley Soryu as perceived by Asuka Langley Soryu. If Rebuild is a Stealth Sequel, it's conceivable that everyone was pulled out of the partially-complete Instrumentality to create the inhabitants of Rebuild. However, Asuka had the benefit of being more 'real' than the average person (both because she is herself an Eva pilot as well as someone important to Instrumentality's Godhead) while having failed to live up to her own perception of herself. In short, Soryu perceived herself as the best and infallible... but events showed that Asuka was neither. So she had the option to either accept that she wasn't the perfect pilot... or that she wasn't Asuka. She chose the latter, and the rebuild incarnated her as Mari, a totally-for-real-and-for-true not Asuka who otherwise fits her.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:48 am

Does anyone know where to find a fic called Star Crossed? I believe it's supposed to focus on Adam and Lilth prior to the events of NGE and how they both became vessels for the souls of the FAR, and how they both ended up on Earth
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:24 am

I can only find references to it, but not the actual thing. This appears to be the author, and he's still active on that forum, so might as well knock. Sounds interesting, so tell us if you find anything.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:50 am

Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:39 pm

TFW you get a review but it's just someone bitching about how they can't stand Mari OR 2.0 with no actual relation to your fic...

BTW just in case anyone's interested, here is the latest chapter on the english version, in which Shinji tries to take Rei out to dinner but isn't really sure how to qualify the resulting barely-interaction.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:44 pm

You could always tell them to take their rhetoric to someone who cares.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:57 pm

I'd like to read a post Q fanfic that focus on the three pilots and the struggles of having such a long walk and their need to cooperate, does something like this exist?

Bonus points if contains real life problems like the plugsuit stinking, physiological needs or Asuka having menstruations and so on.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Have there been any fics that discuss what would happen to Shinji if he somehow LOSES his ability to pilot? Like somehow a major accident causes Yui, in an effort to protect Shinji, doesn't sync with him, reducing his sync rate to 0%, rendering him unable to pilot at all.

I think I did once read a fic like that, but it was so long ago that I don't remember the specifics. Even if one does exist, it would interesting to see how everyone would react that Shinji doesn't have the ability to use the Eva anymore, thus rendering him useless to pilot. How would Asuka react to no longer having Shinji as a rival?

Would Nerv cast him aside, since he's no longer of use? Would Misato still keep him with her? How would Shinji react to not just finally being rid of the pain of piloting, but also having no use anymore?
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:24 pm

^
Check out Chasing the Wind by Random1337.

MisterHalt
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MisterHalt » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:19 pm

The only fics I've seen like that are ones where Shinji becomes a superhero, and his altered DNA or something means Unit-01 just doesn't recognise him. Last Child of Krypton, and Leviathan are the two I remember off the top of my head.
Strength is being able to crush a tomato. Dexterity is being able to dodge a tomato. Constitution is being able to eat a bad tomato. Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad. Charisma is being able to sell a tomato based fruit salad.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:26 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:^
Check out Chasing the Wind by Random1337.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that fic. :) I mostly remember that fic about Shinji coming to terms with the idea that you can't save everyone in war, but it's still a good fic, though I wish they had more time to see Shinji's life after his transition, like if the war continued better or worse without him, and his relationships with Rei and Asuka in not being a pilot.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:41 am

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:Would Nerv cast him aside, since he's no longer of use?

I don't think so. A more likely (to me) outcome is Gendo subjecting him to an escalating battery of tests and experiments to get Shinji back into action. Even if that doesn't work, Gendo will still keep Shinji around as a leash on Unit 01. I mean, Shinji doesn't have to be actually synced to the Eva in order for the Eva to protect him, so...

View Original PostMisterHalt wrote:The only fics I've seen like that are ones where Shinji becomes a superhero, and his altered DNA or something means Unit-01 just doesn't recognise him. Last Child of Krypton, and Leviathan are the two I remember off the top of my head.

Shinji & Warhammer 40K also has him lose syncing ability due to his emerging psyker powers interfering with it. He gets it back later on after taking some time off learning how to suppress his powers.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:28 pm

I'm vaguely remembering a fanfic where Yui doesn't accept Shinji and he finds a place in Nerv as a analyst of sorts. He develops in a genre savvy bad ass though.

I also liked Walking in The Shadow of Dreams, but Unit 01 stops working after a failed 3I.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:54 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I'm vaguely remembering a fanfic where Yui doesn't accept Shinji and he finds a place in Nerv as a analyst of sorts.

...if we're thinking of the same fic, I remember Shinji weaseling his way out of piloting on purpose by stating that he's unqualified and untrained, resulting in him being a reservist.

Return to “Fanfiction”