Official Pokémon Thread

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

DarkBluePhoenix
Israfel
Israfel

Re: Official Pokémon Thread

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:44 pm

My top three:

Gen II: mainly because of Pokémon Crystal, which was the best of the Gen II games. The entire game felt wonderful from the start in New Bark all the way to kicking Red's ass to the curb. Compared to Gen I, it improved and added so much to the games mechanics (contests, time of day, the funny extra device that does things [pokégear and it's successors], contests, not having to open the menu to use surf or cut, Pokémon and player gender, breeding and so much more!). It was nice to see things change so much too, after the events of Gen I. The best game sequel I've ever played. Not to mention it's the only Gen to introduce pure typed starters.

Gen IV: For HG and SS. The Jhoto remakes improve upon my favorite in so many ways, and double the amount of Pokémon available to catch. Obviously D, P, and Pl were pretty good as well, but I played HG, and I was sold on the generation. Hell, all those legendaries being available in HG/SS was fantastic.

Tie - Gen I/Gen III: while Gen I started things off with the Pokémon craze, my favorite being Pokémon Yellow, and those setting the bar and plotline for every game to follow, I couldn't decide between that and Gen III's Emerald and Gen I remakes. Gen III's remakes make the Gen I games we wish he had back in the 90s. Emerald was a fantastic game, and far better than Ruby/Sapphire, improving the games with small tweaks, and adding the Battle Frontier make these two tie for me.

The rest...
Gen V: seemed rushed to me, and with the addition of B2/W2 it seemed like a lost opportunity to remake Gen III. And I agree with Stan, some of those Pokémon designs are kinda... weird.
Gen VI: Fairy type... ugh. While the introduction of Dark & Steel was a needed balancing act for the super-powered and hard to kill Psychic type, Fairy is just... dumb. No Gen III remake can fix that mistake.
Gen VII: the only Pokémon game I've never finished. It was disappointing to me for the reasons I listed in my previous post. Also, with the cop out of doing another Gen V "we'll remake the games for this Gen right away" instead of doing Gen IV or another Gen I remake was another missed opportunity.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:20 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:And is it too much to ask for if they just do a game that takes you through every region in existence and you choose where you start, and the game adjusts itself based on that. Call them Pokemon World Journey, with three versions Crimson, Citrine, and Cobalt. And they could make a Pokemon Amber to be the "special edition" of sorts.

Imagine how many thousands, if not millions, of other fans are asking their own "Is it too much to ask"s.
System Administrator, Thread Surgeon General, Default Complaint Receptacle
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Stan
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:24 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Imagine how many thousands, if not millions, of other fans are asking their own "Is it too much to ask"s.

I think it is too much lol. Think about it, all regions are programmed on different hardware, they would have to remake everything. Plus a handheld game would not be able to be that big, so it would have to be on consoles. And the last time we got a console game was mid 2000s with Colosseum and XD. So yeah :uhh:
Stay Positive, Be Kind, and Work Hard - then everything will be alright
Judge a man not by his wealth or class, but by the purity and kindness of his heart

MyAnimeList <-- click

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:16 am

I've always wanted a Pokemon game with all the regions, but as the number of regions increase it's become less and less viable. I would love an open world, non-linear Pokemon game, a la Skyrim, where you choose a starter and are then let loose in the map to play however you'd like. Someday, maybe.

As for my top three Generations, starting with my favorite, I would probably say Gen III, Gen VII, then Gen II.

Gen III has the advantage of including FireRed and LeafGreen, and although not unique like Yellow, they do significantly improve upon the Gen I mechanics and I usually play those whenever I revisit Kanto. Sapphire was also the version I played the most as a kid, and I loved everything about those games. All the starters are great, the story is neat, and the region is fun to explore.

Gen VII I consider my second favorite because of its unique take on the Pokemon formula. As I said upthread, I really appreciate that they tried something different with this game. The concept of the region forming and hosting its first Pokemon League Championship is a really neat idea for a story, and I like that they didn't really make it clear until the second half of the game. The ride Pokemon were fun, the starters were great, the graphics and scale are the best of the series, and the regional variants are awesome.

Gen II is probably my third favorite. IIRC, it was the first generation I played, and Cyndaquil was my first Pokemon. The region is a lot of fun, and I spent a lot of time chasing down the Legendaries from town to town. I also love that it included the Kanto region in the postgame, which is another reason Gen I isn't on my top three. Not a whole lot more to say about it.

The only other Gen I've played was VI, and it was okay. Best part was the inclusion of the Kanto starters, but other than that it didn't stand out too much. Still not a huge fan of the Mega-Evolutions to this day, but some of them are neat. Z-Powers are way better (even though I don't really use them either).
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”