Why Rei doesn't live with Gendo?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

TheCarkolum
Adam

Why Rei doesn't live with Gendo?

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:44 pm

Ok, it may be a moronic question, but why does Rei live alone, and not with Gendo? I mean, we all know how freaking important is Rei to Gendo (and viceversa, for different reasons), so I don't see the problem of Rei living with him, instead in a depressing set. And I know, I know. "We must reproduce her room as it was when she was conceived", but... why? Rei seems very adaptable to her environment. And even if she had to live like that, why not with Gendo? I don't know where the heck he lives, but I bet he wouldn't mind.

DarkBluePhoenix
Israfel
Israfel

Re: Why Rei doesn't live with Gendo?

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:46 pm

Other than the plot demands it, I don't know.

Maybe she's remind him too much of Yui and he'd be even more emo than he usually is.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Joseki
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Just fanwanking but I guess that Rei is a "memento" to Gendo more than someone who he really cares about, and strong bonds can have a bad impact on the decision making process, something he can't afford if he really wants to see Yui again.
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

silvermoonlight
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:44 pm

I think Rei not living with Gendo highlights the issue with Gendo in that he loves the ideal of people but has no idea how people think or how they feel because he thinks he knows them a hundred percent already and therefore doesn't need to ask. So in his head Rei is perfectly happy in a crappy apartment because he'd never go out of his way to ask her are you okay, are you happy? Instead he just looks at her and gets fond memories of his wife but doesn't care about her feelings or desires just like Shinji she is there to for fill a purpose for him and he neglects them both in different ways.

SPOILER: Show
This idealism is why Yui eats him alive in EOE because he viewed Shinji as his ideal catalyst for starting third impact and Rei he treated as an ideal object that could help him merge with Lilith and never gave a damn about how ether person felt about it and treated them both terribly
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:45 pm

Their relationship is already strange enough. Don't make it more weird by having them share an apartment together. :tongue: The fact that Gendo had his role in saving Rei during the Unit-00 activation test erased from the official record suggests that Rei's importance to him is a very personal secret. This also keeps Seele from growing too suspicious about her identity.

I'd reckon Gendo chooses to live in the Geofront the majority of the time anyways, and Rei needs a place conveniently located near her school. It works out well for both of them.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:04 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:. This also keeps Seele from growing too suspicious about her identity.

That is, Seele would never suspect a ghostly, red-eyed child who looks a lot like a red-eyed boy with pale skin sent by himself to infiltrate the Nerv.
Now known as "The Flying Fortress"

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:07 pm

View Original PostMagneto wrote:That is, Seele would never suspect a ghostly, red-eyed child who looks a lot like a red-eyed boy with pale skin sent by himself to infiltrate the Nerv.

No evidence suggests they know much about her at all, at least not enough to arouse suspicion. They demand to interrogate her after the Armisael incident, but Gendo refuses and sends Ritsuko instead. Before that, I don't think they had an inkling of Rei's importance.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”