Favorite/Least favorite charas & why

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Cobadome
Embryo

Re: Who's your favorite Eva character?

•      
  •      

Postby Cobadome » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:30 am

My favorite character is Rei.
She is interesting and a clone like that. And i can identificate me with her, she is calm like me and talks only the relevant things :D

lilim
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby lilim » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:13 pm

i may have posted in this thread back when i made this account a few years ago, and forgotten - its also possible that rewatching it my favorite has shifted because its hard for me to pick a favorite anyway - but rewatching the series over the past week, i think i have to say Asuka. i was discussing rewatching the series with my mom and we started talking about Asuka and her backstory and i began blubbering like a baby, and it was before i even got to the episodes with her mindrape scene and breakdown in general (i watched them today and AGAIN i cried)
i love every character for one reason or several but Asuka's part in the story and her overall development and back story; all of it is gut wrenching to me.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:02 pm

Ovsly Rei. It's right in her name, zeroth place by default.
She's super interesting, awesome & I relate to her on an existencial level.

Honorable mentions for Mari, Shinji, Gendo. Kaworu and Kensuke. And Aoba cause he doesn't get nearly enough love.

And basically anyone whose name isn't Akagi or Asuka, but though I don't like em on an emotional level I see how they're intellectually superbly written socially relevant characters. This show is just good.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:04 pm

Fuyutsuki. As i see it, he is the least-insane character in the whole series and perhaps the most rational one. Overall, his wise old man-character is very appealing .
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Fuyutsuki. As i see it, he is the least-insane character in the whole series and perhaps the most rational one.

I mean... the guy wanted to go through Instrumentality via Gendo's plan, so I wouldn't consider the destruction of sentient life the most rational decision. He was a bit passive to Gendo's radical ideas to mindfuck Shinji (and a bit regretful, by the sounds of it), but he didn't do anything to stop it. If we're talking least-insane, give it to Pen Pen. Or maybe Kaji, I guess. Heck, give it to Ramiel.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:45 pm

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:I mean... the guy wanted to go through Instrumentality via Gendo's plan, so I wouldn't consider the destruction of sentient life the most rational decision. He was a bit passive to Gendo's radical ideas to mindfuck Shinji (and a bit regretful, by the sounds of it), but he didn't do anything to stop it. If we're talking least-insane, give it to Pen Pen. Or maybe Kaji, I guess. Heck, give it to Ramiel.

I would argue the man knew there was no other real alternative available, choose between SEELE and Gendo, what a glorious situation. Since he would have known that there was absolutely nothing that could stop the grand finale, and that both options would end in what it ended, he chose the one that suited him the best, that being the one that would let him ''see'' Yui for one last time. What comes to Kaji, he is very down-on-earth to me too, but him playing 3 sides at the same time and ultimately playing himself to a corner deliberately wouldn't make him more sane than Fuyutsuki. And by the least-insane character in the series, i don't mean that they are sane. I mean that they are a bit less insane. Pen-Pen is alright though.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Fuyutsuki was a dead man if he didn't join Nerv. I suppose one could argue that getting erased would have been more honorable than playing an active role in bringing about Apocalypse Ver. C... But since the choice presented was between "apocalypse where humans are transfigured into something else" or "apocalypse where humans have a chance to continue existing as humans", and Fuyutsuki likes a world that has people in it, I think it was better for him to stay alive and help out.

Re: Kaji, there is a lot to like about him, but I've respected him a lot less upon realizing that his need to play all three sides is what allowed the slaughter of innocent Nerv personnel -- and, more importantly, the love of his life. (He cut the power in episode 11, which let other agents infiltrate and map the facility. The JSSDF uses this intel when they attack.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Gendo. Judge him however you will, he gives no fucks about your opinions. He has a goal and will do anything and everything to achieve it or die trying. In a show with so many conflicted people getting in each others' and their own way all the time to see that kind of ruthless purity of focus makes him the real stand out character in this crowd.

Well, and Rei of course, but she's on a whole other level. Calling her just a character feels like an insult.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:04 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Gendo. Judge him however you will, he gives no fucks about your opinions. He has a goal and will do anything and everything to achieve it or die trying. In a show with so many conflicted people getting in each others' and their own way all the time to see that kind of ruthless purity of focus makes him the real stand out character in this crowd.

Ikari is an interesting person, to say the least. Usually it is his apparent lack of ethics that makes him unpopular among the audience, though. And he seems to be extremely selfish, being ready to destroy and take down everything just to be able to be with Yui. But who am i to judge.

NemZ wrote:Well, and Rei of course, but she's on a whole other level. Calling her just a character feels like an insult.

I find Rei/Reis very hard to define. Sometimes i consider her a person, sometimes not.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:15 am

People generally aren't fair to Gendo because they identify with Shinji's perspective. Try looking at it from his perspective some time...

He's fighting a secret war and an alien invasion simultaneously to save the love of his life. If he fails everyone is dead anyway, so what the hell does he have to lose by being anything less than utterly ruthless?

Sending Shinji away and isolating him from the man he'd have to become was an act of mercy, he only brought him back into this mess because circumstances demanded it, and he intentionally tried to drive him away to relative safety when he thought he had a replacement.

He tries to keep Rei at a distance because he knows her sacrifice will be required, but in spite of himself he clearly does care for her.

We have no reason to believe he knew what fate would befall Ritsuko when he sent her in Rei's place to Seele, or that he ever found out what actually happened for that matter.

He knows Fuyutsuki dispises him and has a thing for Yui, but he keeps him on as second in command to save his life because Yui would have wanted it.

Last but not least, in the ending where he wins it's arguably far better for everyone than the ending when he doesn't.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:49 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:He tries to keep Rei at a distance because he knows her sacrifice will be required, but in spite of himself he clearly does care for her.

I will have to agree with this, Ikari does care about her, as a ''person''. More importantly he cares about her as a resource as well...

NemZ wrote:He knows Fuyutsuki dispises him and has a thing for Yui, but he keeps him on as second in command to save his life because Yui would have wanted it.

I disagree. Fuyutsuki, in my view, does respect him. He might dislike, even hate his methods, but he generally agrees with the so-called ''moderated damage'' of Ikari's instrumentality. Fuyutsuki after all devotes his time to keep Nerv running and make Seele fail. The relations between Fuyutsuki and Ikari might be one of the most complex in the series.

NemZ wrote:Last but not least, in the ending where he wins it's arguably far better for everyone than the ending when he doesn't.

Of course, assuming that there was no actual way to prevent the third impact. But that seems rather unlikely.
I only wish Gendo's victory would have been a bit more..stylish.
SPOILER: Show

Epilogue
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Epilogue » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:06 am

Asuka, because she reminds me so much of this one girl I used to know. Perhaps a little too much.

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:53 pm

To me there's no contest. It's Rei Ayanami. It's the soul (hehe) of the show.

First off, let me say ppl, you have to distinguish between "best character" and "character with the most likeable personality ". Best character implies a lot of things, but it can be sum up in one: characterization. In that sense, Rei goes 2 or 3 steps beyond anyone else. The layers in her personality, her background in the plot, her relations with the other people. But above all, I think it's the directing in order to accomplish all that what makes this character so rich. Just one example because I'm not a big fan of long boring posts.

When Rei II dies, Rei III rises. But as you all know, she doesn't remember the circumstances of her death. She feels confused, she doesn't know why she is alive ( ok she knows that she's the third one, but she feels that doesn't belong to the living, she feels herself pointless). When she arrives home, sweet home, she sees the glasses. The goddamn Gendo glasses. If you look her eyes, they have a "not giving a damn" vibe. It just seems like all that surrounds her is meaningless, almost fake. Yes, Rei III unlike Rei II, has taken the red pill:

But when she takes the glasses, she feels something: a mix between hatred and sadness. And after breaking the glasses, she starts crying. Remember, she doesn't remember, but her feelings do. Until she starts crying, she does everything with the subconscious, but when she sees the tears, she freaks out. Her mind knows right before her all the crap she went through and still she kept dying and dying and dying. Even with the quasi paternal connection between Gendo and her, that hideous man used her and in a certain way killed her (and at the same time, he doesn't allow her to stay dead, to stop suffering, yes, that's dark). Rei III is no longer open to nobody, she's not tied to Gendo, she literally and metaphorically breaks that. Because of that, in EoE the glasses are completely broken. Her submission is gone:

When I realise all this, and bearing in mind that is achieved with no words, just through the glasses and Rei gestures, I thought "YESSSSS!THAT'S IT ANNO! MORE OF THIS PLEASE, THAT WAS GENIUS" Because I realised of how good his directing was, and how hell of a character Rei is. For this and much more, I think Rei wins by far. And don't come up with she's emotionless, or uninteresting, or just a plot device. Because no, no, and no it's a crucial person to the plot, but not just a plot device.
Last edited by TheCarkolum on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:56 am, edited 7 times in total.
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

introjection1
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby introjection1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Asuka is my favorite.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”