Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:51 pm

View Original Postrobersora wrote:Also it is the ugliest animated show in existence
It's a long time since I saw that, but my recollection is that the sepia filter doesn't help.

View Original Postrobersora wrote:Go for Texhnolyze, much more bang for you buck.
We have a thread for that.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:53 pm

I don't think there's a better shot than haibane renmei or any other abe work but the common denominator is teenagers' deaths. Otherwise they are all different with nieau7 being the odd one without suicides but I never finished it nor I started any of abe's dojinshis.
I remember little of boogiepop but I thought the point was pseudo psychology with kids never changing their ways or something, it's been ages.
Tex was nuts and required some art thread for maximum enjoyment - otherwise they are all bastards going downhill.
So yeah stick to haibane and take tex very slowly.

Azaeroe
Embryo

Re: Serial Experiments Lain [SPOILER ALERT]

•      
  •      

Postby Azaeroe » Sun May 14, 2017 6:10 am

I have seen SEL many times and feel a strong connection to it.

btw: Are there any forums specifically for the discussion of SEL?
I have no message of hope to deliver [...] I know only that every single one of us reeks of selfishness, masochism and death. We have created a system in which it has simply become impossible to live

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Mon May 29, 2017 9:05 pm

I finished my second viewing of it a few months and it certainly made an even larger impression on me from the last time I watched it.

For instance (And obviously), I understood it better. Many people say that SEL is confusing, and it definitely is, but to an extent; once you watch it over and over again, you realize that there is a very clear story and plot...just told in a very Lynchian way.

One thing that isn't clear however, is the overall goal of what it's trying to tell the viewer. It would sink a show like this, but the way Lain presents it's themes make it stand out in how balanced they are: the theme of finding salvation in the internet, the true meaning of a life and society, and so much more that if I listed them all my fingers will probably fall off typing it all.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:26 am

What is the general consensus on the ending?

Spoilers on the ending  SPOILER: Show
I just saw episode 13 and I absolutely hated the message I've got from it: "life is painful for me and for the people I care about, so I'll erease myself from existence and stay in a fantasy world where nothing ever happens and looks over the world."
I guess everyone who has an hard life should commit suicide and go to paradise then.

I hope to have misunderstood something.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:42 pm

I dont remember the specifics of that show honestly....but I doubt that's the message simply because I do remember that there's a lot of scenes that seem to criticize/ or point the irony of the internet and how people dont really connect through it.

Example: the show starts with a suicide and the way all the characters react to it is incredibly callous. That was probably an intentional decision to play the scene out like that. There's a big theme of human connectedness and disconnectedness in serial experiment lain.

Try figuring out what lesson Lain learned. That's probably the moral of the story or at least a big part of it.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Return to “Anime and Manga”